Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upstairs at Cragside House  (Read 1305 times)

graeme

Upstairs at Cragside House
« on: June 06, 2017, 09:40:54 am »

Cragside House, Northumberland UK. Upstairs.

BobDavid

Re: Upstairs at Cragside House
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 12:01:20 pm »

#2 & #3 are strong.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 10:41:08 am »

Four is very nice as a stand alone image. That said I think pulled out just slightly would be better (don't know if this is cropped - maybe you have some more room in orig) - so there is a little more space on outer sides of the small lights above and the lower right billiard balls e.g. The others would work as part of a series perhaps...the first with uniform is an interesting image.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

graeme

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 09:25:18 am »

Bob & Brandt, thanks for the comments.

Brandt, re 'part of a series'. I started taking snapshots while wandering around historic buildings in the UK ( Usually run by English Heritage or the National Trust ). These places have their own weird vibe: The light levels are kept very low ( blinds on windows & lots of fake candles ) in order to preserve the fixtures, fittings & artworks. They feel quite 'unauthentic' but you can finds some interesting light & shadow in them.

I printed out a few of these images & stuck them on the wall in my work space. After a while I found I was quite intrigued by them & they seem to be forming a series of their own volition. I may put them together into a pdf or handbound book.

John R

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 01:03:49 pm »

Graeme, I very much like your images of places. Also like the idea of series, as it shows what can be done when allowed more than one image. Love the subtle lighting and transitions. What I like most is what you described as "light levels are kept very low." My observation is that low light levels are easily handled by the sensor and produce beautiful smooth and subtle gradations. Can't be beat if you like subtlety. This ones below are not quite a historic place, but the inside of the entrance of a church. The window light creates the soft muted transitions. My eye caught this. Simple and minimalist to be sure.

graeme

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 08:22:45 pm »

Thanks John. I like the subtle colour in those images, very warm - they feel like they're from a more southern latitude.

Re the low light levels in the places I photograph: A combination of unsteady hands, an ageing crop frame Canon, manual focus lens & 53 year old eyes makes getting a technically acceptable photo challenging. ( I'm normally a tripod guy ). I'm usually working at the upper end of the camera's useable ISO range, but these images will never be printed larger than A4 / 8 x 10" & I seem to be getting away with it.

Another one from Cragside.

John R

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 08:43:48 pm »

I really like this last one. At first I thought it was one of those small church statuettes by the window.

JR

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 12:35:02 pm »

Particularly like the mirror image.
Pages: [1]   Go Up