Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picture-winged fly  (Read 758 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Picture-winged fly
« on: June 05, 2017, 02:44:52 pm »

I caught sight of this picture-winged fly shortly after watering my vegetable garden. Great color and patterning on his wings. C&C welcomed.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

JKoerner007

• "A picture's worth a thousand words."
    • John Koerner Photography
Re: Picture-winged fly
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:00:22 pm »

Interesting critter :)

The first image had many challenges to overcome. The most important two were 1) too much background, and 2) uneven light. You either needed to be at a full 1:1 on your macro, or even beyond (if the fly was very small), in order to reduce the background a bit. Shooting in the middle of the day, or any time after the sun comes out, can create areas of blown highlights and other areas where it is a little dark. Had you framed the first image a little closer, and had even light, it would have turned out more intimate and interesting IMO. (Don't get me wrong, it's still interesting, I am just nitpicking since I am a macro junkie.)

Not sure what lens you used. To overcome harsh daylight sun, you could have tried a diffuser shade--but those can scare-away active flies (as can your own shadow). Shooting either early morning, or evening (when it's still light out but the sun has gone), or when it's overcast, is the way I ensure even light which is critical for macro shots.

The second image has very good focus and nice color. A good dorsal ID shot for sure.

Love macro--and hope you find this constructive!

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Picture-winged fly
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:55:02 am »

Thank you for your thoughts and constructive critique. I appreciate your words and wisdom. Both photos were taken with a Canon 100mm EF macro lens on a 7D. For insects as small as this fly -- about 3-4 mm -- I normally would have added an extension tube, but the situation didn't permit the time it would have taken to install such, as the fly was very skittish. And, yes (big yes), I agree about the harsh lighting; it is what it is.

Best wishes, Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up