Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: US Travel Restrictions Need Current Information  (Read 3462 times)

glenerrolrd

US Travel Restrictions Need Current Information
« on: August 18, 2006, 05:54:52 pm »

I leave tomorrow for a week in vail colorado...I don t want to check anything as the check in lines in Denver are bad enough and leaving return on a Saturday means it will packed with infrequent travelers.  I have more gear than I can handle and will surely miss anything I leave behind...I know thats what everyone  says on the way out.    Forgeting all the noise about liquids  ..not an issue ...I was planning to take a Kata backpac  ..think   its model 104 ..holds a 15 laptop along with my 5d , 70-200 and 2-3 primes plus whatever .  This is a good size bag ..smaller than a rollon but bigger than a typical laptop case .  I need a small duffle for my clothing ..cut it back to 2 days worth as I will have a washer/dryer.. I can handle it easily but am concerned about whether the airlines ..Delta in particular have gotten tough on the size of a personal item.  The Delta site says a camera bag qualifies.  I know my fall back is to just check the duffle if Delta stops me ...but I might leave more behind if I can not balance the load.  ...Sorry for my typical long winded intro....anything new form the road warriors?

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 09:12:03 am »

As always, the best way to find out what today's "security" rules are, is to contact:

1) Your chosen airline for the flights.
2) The chosen airports for the flights.

Since the rules may change from day to day, you should contact them on your day of departure as well, to avoid any misunderstandings.

Be prepared to check in everything you're carrying.
Jan

francois

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 10:16:50 am »

In addition to Jani's excellent recommendations:

Try to take a friend with you at the airport. If you need to check heavy things, you will get an outrageous charge if you exceed weight limit. In this case your friend can bring unneeded stuff back home.
Francois

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 11:29:38 am »

In addition to Jan's suggestions on checking with the airlines and airports, you can get clear, complete info on the current TSA rules directly from the TSA web site:  www.tsa.gov

If you're thinking of bringing something that's allowed according to the web site but that an less-than-well-informed TSA screener might conceivably give you trouble over, it might help to print out the info from the web site so you can show it to them in case of problems.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

glenerrolrd

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 06:49:08 pm »

thanks for all that replied ..traveled successfully last saturday..  no real delays or surprises except an additional TSA full search at the gate where they thought about taking my tripod... don t get me wrong i am supportive of strong security ...just don t want to check my cameras.  thanks to all that replied

Julius

• http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=615322
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 06:34:30 am »

thanks for all that replied ..traveled successfully last saturday..  no real delays or surprises except an additional TSA full search at the gate where they thought about taking my tripod... don t get me wrong i am supportive of strong security ...just don t want to check my cameras.  thanks to all that replied
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74139\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also flew successfully with my Photo Trekker back pack from Hong Kong to JFK airport in NYC yesterday. I was thoroughly hand searched at the gate back in HK and that took half an hour including the wait. While inconvenient, I still cherish the fact that I did not have to entrust my valuable photo gear to the baggage handlers   .
Pages: [1]   Go Up