Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Photography by Jimmy Chin  (Read 5614 times)

JJon

Re: Some Photography by Jimmy Chin
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2017, 11:02:08 pm »

Me too. FWIW you may want to check out a book called the Big Open. It's about a trek by Galen Rowell, Rick Ridgeway, Conrad Anker, and Jimmy Chin when Jimmy was just getting started.

I guess your right, but somehow I am drawn to these images. It was looking at work from the likes of Galen Rowell that got me interested in climbing and mountain photography.  I know a lot of planning goes into getting these shots and Jimmy Chin is a pro at what he does. 

Regarding whether Alex is crazy, No I think he is very good at what he does.  He may be more sane than the rest of us.  Meanwhile this morning I'm going to try and avoid the tourists and leave right now to hike the Four Mile Trail.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 02:29:32 am »

An italian climber, Cesare Maestri, once said that the best climber is the one who dies in his bed.

Reading the biographical data of the greatest climbers is very impressive, very few died in their beds.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:41:09 am by muntanela »

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 04:22:19 am »

Knowing the risks and still going to great lengths to experience them seems like nothing other than madness.

What the hell do you gain, other than soiled underpants and another grey hair? If you achieve neither, then there is definitely something missing in your head. Avoid romantic entanglements and children in order to limit the consequential damage.

Rob

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 05:26:53 am »

The great climber Walter Bonatti  (who had been in 1954 the real hero of the K2 conquest), in 1961, after he had survived the terrible tragedy of the Central Pillar of Freney, Mont Blanc (four deads, three survivors, he and two others saved by him), said (wrote) that perhaps he had managed to survive only because he had a woman who loved him...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:34:00 am by muntanela »

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 05:47:59 am »

The great climber Walter Bonatti  (who had been in 1954 the real hero of the K2 conquest), in 1961, after he had survived the terrible tragedy of the Central Pillar of Freney, Mont Blanc (four deads, three survivors, he and two others saved by him), said (wrote) that perhaps he had managed to survive only because he had a woman who loved him...

I wonder if, as with all infidelities, he promised never to do it again...

Today, in the age of the drone and the helicopter, the need for such madness is ever less necessary insofar as photography goes.

Funny how fantasy trumps reality: we quite often get choppers flying overhead, and the sound is not very much like the traditional one you hear in the movies, which has a distinct rhythm of its own, a low-pitched thud thud thud lacking in the far more mundane noise of the real thing. There are times I believe one to be flying close overhead, and when I step outside to wave (joke) the thing turns out to be just another fixed-wing machine. Rather than of Apocalypse Now, choppers remind me of the opening shots of La Dolce Vita.

Rob

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up