Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Photography by Jimmy Chin  (Read 5591 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Some Photography by Jimmy Chin
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 03:58:14 pm »

So what did that prove, other than that he's very lucky?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 04:15:16 am »

So what did that prove, other than that he's very lucky?

What I think it proved, is that tourist pictures are ever with us, and that there's no limit to the madness tourists will go: bungee jumpers, anyone?

Why any sane person would risk life and limb like that escapes me. Of course, I am speaking about the sane, so maybe my question contains (begs?) its own reply...

;-)

Rob

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 08:03:11 am »

I guess your right, but somehow I am drawn to these images. It was looking at work from the likes of Galen Rowell that got me interested in climbing and mountain photography.  I know a lot of planning goes into getting these shots and Jimmy Chin is a pro at what he does. 

Regarding whether Alex is crazy, No I think he is very good at what he does.  He may be more sane than the rest of us.  Meanwhile this morning I'm going to try and avoid the tourists and leave right now to hike the Four Mile Trail.

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 02:35:37 pm »

Some people prefer to make up stories about what they'd rather not look at. Other people prefer to look.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 02:53:38 pm »

Some people prefer to make up stories about what they'd rather not look at. Other people prefer to look.

-Dave-

Cryptic, or what!

;-)

Rob

HSakols

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 10:07:12 pm »

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 12:09:48 pm »

What I think it proved, is that tourist pictures are ever with us, and that there's no limit to the madness tourists will go: bungee jumpers, anyone?

Why any sane person would risk life and limb like that escapes me. Of course, I am speaking about the sane, so maybe my question contains (begs?) its own reply...

;-)

Rob

Of course, Alex Honnold and Jim Chin are both the opposite of a "tourist". Bungee jumping requires absolutely zero skill. The motivation here is pursuit of excellence, and a confidence in your ability so great that you don't allow yourself any second chances. In the photographic world, think about Jim Brandenburg's "chased by the light".
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards

Telecaster

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 05:17:48 pm »

Cryptic, or what!

;-)

Drat, I keep mixing up Cryptic and Cyrillic;D

Обфускация - это правда

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 03:56:36 am »

Drat, I keep mixing up Cryptic and Cyrillic;D

Обфускация - это правда

-Dave-

Goodness me, that's worse than Letraset bodytype! At least the latter read a bit Latino, with a hint of church.

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 04:33:36 pm »

Goodness me, that's worse than Letraset bodytype!

It even looks sinister, no? No wonder why eyes are averted.

Guys like Chin are a bit bonkers. But IMO it's a good kind of bonkers. There are other kinds…

-Dave-

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 06:37:02 pm »

Jimmy Chin is one of my favorite photographers. I really admire his skill and dedication.
Neither of these guys are crazy, IMO. They are very calculated, skilled, and they know what is at stake. This would be undeniably crazy for most people but Alex isn't like most people. The luck involved is that there wasn't a freak accident that couldn't be overcome with skill, experience, and conditioning. The other 99.9% is skill, experience, and conditioning.

What are they proving? Jimmy is documenting, proving it really happened (in a beautiful way) and Alex is proving this is within human ability. Just not an average human. I don't do this kind of climbing but I'm familiar with the attraction of the mountains and the challenges they present.

Anyway, I think this is really cool. Thanks for posting!
-MattB

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 11:58:52 pm »

I always have trouble watching these climbers.  I really fear for them.  I can taste my heart.  I seems like I'm going to fall just watching.  Does anyone else get than feeling?

HSakols

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 09:19:01 am »

Here is an interesting article where they studies Alex's brain.  Yes, it is amazing, but I worry for Alex as he ages, that he will feel that he has to proove something. After his climb he came and talked with the students at Yosemite Valley School about setting goals and working hard.   In 2009, I met the great John Bachar up on a ledge in Tuolumne Meadows while he was climbing with his kid.  He placed zero protection except for the belay.  A week later he died free soloing.  I remember him tellimg me that he just couldn't climb like he used to. There is a great film on netflix called Valley Uprising that tells the story of the first Stonemasters.  It also includes many historical photographs by Glenn Denny

http://nautil.us/issue/39/sport/the-strange-brain-of-the-worlds-greatest-solo-climber?mbid=social_facebook

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bachar

Telecaster

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 04:59:09 pm »

Yeah, when the drive to keep reaching that next level excedes your capabilities…you're bound to fail. But I suspect for people built like that, dying doing the thing you're compelled to do and love doing is a better alternative than stopping and spending the rest of your life frustrated. Quality over quantity.

-Dave-

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 05:07:32 pm »

I hope more photos surface but I thought this is an interesting progression of the sport I didn't see coming.  8)

https://www.climbing.com/news/the-first-naked-ascent-of-el-capitan/

-MattB

Telecaster

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 05:13:15 pm »

What comes after naked? Gripping ropes and cables only with your teeth?  ;D

-Dave-

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 05:43:15 pm »

What comes after naked? Gripping ropes and cables only with your teeth?  ;D

-Dave-

With this kind climbing there isn't really any rope-gripping for the climber, just the belayer. The rope is just in case you lose your grip on the rock.
But I guess the next step is free soloing naked which is without a rope like the story that started this thread.
-MattB

HSakols

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 05:48:16 pm »

Pretty darn funny!  Just a couple of days ago it was cold and snowing at the top of El Cap. 

Here is a video of Search and Rescue Training on El Cap just this spring.  https://www.facebook.com/verticalmag/videos/vb.51515866660/10155505179291661/?type=2&theater

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 05:39:18 pm »

Here's a short interview with Jimmy Chin and they touch on some of the risks and how he manages them.
-MattB
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up