Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera stores in Hong Kong  (Read 1890 times)

shadowblade

Camera stores in Hong Kong
« on: June 03, 2017, 11:20:49 am »

I will be passing through Hong Kong next week and am looking to pick up one or two lenses while I'm there, since the prices are generally much better than Australian prices.

Does anyone know of any good, reliable camera stores with a physical store that will stock higher-end gear (TS-E lenses, GM lenses, etc.)? I know there are a number of big chain stores there, but have heard that there are lots of smaller places which will sell the same (genuine) equipment at a better price. Any suggestions from those who know the city?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Camera stores in Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 02:04:39 am »

I was there in March. Fortunately it was a business trip and we had local guide.
If you were there 20 plus years ago then I think you may be disappointed. The population has swelled and every square inch has been developed, mainly with ugly concrete boxes.
If you want to see the sampans and junks then you will need to go to an outer island or at least down the south of Hong Kong Island.

As such real estate is ridiculous and so are rents on shops.
Only approved shops in major shopping malls have genuine stuff, and it is way higher than you will pay in Australia or by importing from B&H if it under $1000AU.

Most standalone camera shops sell fakes. The can't compete with Internet shops selling the same thing. They are very very good copies, but still fake.
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING IN NATHAN ROAD.

You would be better off buying from a grey importer in Australia if you want a Hong Kong original product.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 04:37:11 am »

Fair enough. I'm not there for sightseeing - just passing through. Problem with importing from B&H to Australia isn't the 10% GST - it's the huge 'processing fee' they charge on top of it just to allow you to pay the tax!

wcarlew

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 07:38:14 am »

I think Sony has price controls for different markets that keep big name stores from selling at a non Sony approved price. I go through HKG a few times a year and have purchased from some smaller stores. I was able to get a discount, the store then wrote a receipt for the "Sony" amount and went to a Sony service centre in Causeway Bay and registered the equipment and received an international warranty, including the battery pack that was on promotion.  Grey market in HKG I would view as equivalent to grey market in many locals. It can be fun to window shop and bargain.

Since I am paid in a currency tied to the US $ I find that given currency fluctuations AUS and NZ have some very competitive pricing, often better than B&H (which I use as a benchmark incl NY tax).  Recently a colleague dragged me to a store in Sydney as they had a Fuiji X100T at the "best" price he could find, which included tax.

I don't know of too many booming cities that are more interesting now then the first time I travelled through them over the past 35+ years.. And they are much more expensive to eat and drink.

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 01:15:58 pm »

I think Sony has price controls for different markets that keep big name stores from selling at a non Sony approved price. I go through HKG a few times a year and have purchased from some smaller stores. I was able to get a discount, the store then wrote a receipt for the "Sony" amount and went to a Sony service centre in Causeway Bay and registered the equipment and received an international warranty, including the battery pack that was on promotion.  Grey market in HKG I would view as equivalent to grey market in many locals. It can be fun to window shop and bargain.

Since I am paid in a currency tied to the US $ I find that given currency fluctuations AUS and NZ have some very competitive pricing, often better than B&H (which I use as a benchmark incl NY tax).  Recently a colleague dragged me to a store in Sydney as they had a Fuiji X100T at the "best" price he could find, which included tax.

I don't know of too many booming cities that are more interesting now then the first time I travelled through them over the past 35+ years.. And they are much more expensive to eat and drink.

Any particular stores in Hong Kong that you'd recommend?

wcarlew

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 01:36:40 pm »

Can't remember the name of the store, not at home and don't have the receipt with me.  The store was in a lower floor of a mall opposite the Ikea/Park Lane hotel in Causeway Bay near Victoria Park. This was a few years ago.

Just looked it up on Google Maps and looks like the store is not there anymore, they were beside a Tin Cheung Store that doesn't appear to be in that building anymore as well. The Sony Store is nearby on Hennessy Rd.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:54:12 pm by wcarlew »

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 01:41:47 pm »

maybe try asking this on a Hong Kong photography group - for example one on Flickr.
Pages: [1]   Go Up