Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large Canvas Prints  (Read 4463 times)

trentf

Large Canvas Prints
« on: June 01, 2017, 02:56:26 pm »

I hope I posted in correct section...  I am working on a project with an interior designer.  They want gallery wrapped canvas.  One 48x64 and one 36x72.  I cannot find a lab to print that big.  I the biggest I have found is 40x60.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BrownBear

Re: Large Canvas Prints
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:47:05 pm »

The Color Group in Seattle prints up to 48x96 on canvas. We haven't used them since retiring, but they were our go-to for big stuff 5 years back.

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 08:08:36 pm »

If you want me to print it I can do it.  I make prints for several photographers. 

I made the very first pigment inkjet papers, canvas's and coatings for the industry.  I make my living selling my fine art photographs.  No sense in having a lab do it. 

I've invented no less than 7 printing processes and was the head printer for the Smithsonian.  I'm going to open my lab and printers open for photographers who need great printing.  If your interested call me 9517411674
Timothy Wolcott

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 01:32:14 pm »

The issue you're going to run into is shipping that size.  It can be done, but it's going to be extremely expensive.  Where are you, or better the client located?

t: @PNWMF

BrownBear

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 03:26:34 pm »

We had ours shipped rolled, then had a good local gallery stretch and mount them. No big deal, and not expensive.

Stephen Girimont

• The Intimate Landscape
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 06:40:11 pm »

Simply Color Lab allows custom sizes to be requested. I believe the largest I've had them make was a 40x90 inch canvas. Give them a try.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 12:04:24 pm »

Print and ship rolled, and then stretching the canvas locally is the most economical solution. Not difficult to prepare the mirrored or colored gallery wrap edge prior to printing. 

Ken

www.carmelfineartprinting.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 08:38:48 pm »

I've had more than one instance where a distant framer upsold a gallery wrap print customer to a full framing treatment, and then framed the piece INCLUDING the visible mirror image surround intended for gallery wrapping.  In one case an irate customer asked for her money back plus the cost of the her framing job, due to my "bizarre and capricious" printing error.  I guess people don't really look at the print until it's on the wall, and I'm pretty sure many people including certain framers don't know what "gallery wrap" actually means, however much they may nod their heads and grunt affirmatively when I describe it.

To this end, I always include a statement on the print itself just outside the mirror image + 3 inches of white.  It says "This image includes a 2 inch wide mirror image around the entire central image.  The mirror image is intended to wrap around the sides of gallery wrap stretcher bars.  In the event this image is to be presented with a frame and possibly a matte, the portion of the image displayed should not include the 2" wide mirror image border."

It is not sufficient to merely include those instructions on a separate, enclosed piece of paper.  The message needs to live right there on the print in biggish type.

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 05:20:31 pm »

Impact Visual Arts in San Diego

http://impactvisualarts.com/prices/

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 05:22:31 pm »

I've had more than one instance where a distant framer upsold a gallery wrap print customer to a full framing treatment, and then framed the piece INCLUDING the visible mirror image surround intended for gallery wrapping.  In one case an irate customer asked for her money back plus the cost of the her framing job, due to my "bizarre and capricious" printing error.  I guess people don't really look at the print until it's on the wall, and I'm pretty sure many people including certain framers don't know what "gallery wrap" actually means, however much they may nod their heads and grunt affirmatively when I describe it.

To this end, I always include a statement on the print itself just outside the mirror image + 3 inches of white.  It says "This image includes a 2 inch wide mirror image around the entire central image.  The mirror image is intended to wrap around the sides of gallery wrap stretcher bars.  In the event this image is to be presented with a frame and possibly a matte, the portion of the image displayed should not include the 2" wide mirror image border."

It is not sufficient to merely include those instructions on a separate, enclosed piece of paper.  The message needs to live right there on the print in biggish type.

I'm not a fan of mirroring. On a big print just wrap the image not it's mirror
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:23:37 pm by DougDolde »
Pages: [1]   Go Up