Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: That man Parr  (Read 1878 times)

drmike

• On Flickr:
That man Parr
« on: June 01, 2017, 02:35:01 pm »

Happily someone drew my attention to this collection of shots Martin Parr in Monacco

Mike

Rob C

Re: That man Parr
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 03:49:32 pm »

Happily someone drew my attention to this collection of shots Martin Parr in Monacco

Mike

Wonderful place; actually drove along part of that circuit one year: we'd gone to do the recce for a later calendar shoot, and found ourselves in the midst of the part of the Cannes Film Festival that, AFAIK, was to do with advertising film or some such sub-section I didn't know existed or was included in the Festival. Anyway, we went to Monaco, not far up the road towards Italy, and there the place was littered with scaffolding destined to make the stands for those and such as those. The only bit I remember well (of the race track) was the tunnel which was still open to normal traffic. Funny driving a little Renault rental there.

It's the only F1 race I'd like to attend, not so much for the race as for the eye-candy. In Cannes, some of the whores on the Croisette were strunningly beautiful, an experience that was duplicated on Sardinia's Costa Smeralda. It might have been even more expensive to have used them for the shoot than the models we took from London. My wife's eyes were open wide, observing all this life going down, so unlike Glasgow or anywhere we knew in Mallorca. We were innocent babes in those sweet days.

I didn't think Parr made much of the opportunity - or at least, not in the accompanying shots in the feature. It struck me he was still trying to do the UK seaside stuff, but the mould wouldn't fit; it couldn't, not there. But still, a yob with his feet up on the ice bucket is still a yob...

Enclosed, a shot from the eventual calendar:

Rob
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:33:02 pm by Rob C »

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 05:14:04 pm »

Is that a mug of Tennent's I see?  ;D ;D

-Dave-

degrub

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 06:32:20 pm »

..but no taste sadly. Just like the ...oh never mind.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 10:13:30 am »

Is that a mug of Tennent's I see?  ;D ;D

-Dave-

Indeed, they paid for the gig!

;-)

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 10:18:02 am »

..but no taste sadly. Just like the ...oh never mind.

I've never liked beers/lagers of any sort. If I have to drink outwith meals, I'd go for a G&T every time, or perhaps a BGold&G instead, though the latter can end up being a bit too sweet.

Rob

degrub

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 11:20:58 am »

Indeed. G&T for the heat and Scotch for the cold.
Frank

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 04:25:58 pm »

I won't turn down a mug o' suds with pizza—no glorified soda pop, though, per most major US brews—but otherwise I like me a margarita. Or even just a couple shots of good tequila swallowed neat.

I know I've tasted Tennent's, but don't remember anything specific about it.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up