Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Massive problems calibrating BenQ SW320  (Read 9079 times)

Zynsygon

Massive problems calibrating BenQ SW320
« on: June 01, 2017, 02:33:14 pm »

Yesterday I received a BenQ SW320 monitor, but it seems impossible to achieve a visible reliable calibration that also can be validated using the native Palette Master Element software with my otherwise trustworthy i1Display Pro colorimeter. I have repeated the calibration procedure several times and also trying to change several parameters. At some point the screen got all red after a calibration and I had to reset the monitor. I have also checked for stray light. My plan was to have an adobeRGB gamut on one of the monitors two custom calibration modes and the widest gamut (native) on the other. The monitor will not switch from these two calibrations. Finally I gave up and uninstalled the Palette Master Element software and reinstalled the old i1Display Pro software and got a decent calibration, but that software calibration and that's not the point with such a expensive monitor.
Anyone have an idea what is wrong ?

Royce Howland

• Vivid Aspect Photography
Re: Massive problems calibrating BenQ SW320
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 11:02:40 pm »

What version of Palette Master were you using? And what computer / operating system? I own an SW320 and I can calibrate it on Windows 7 with the latest version of Palette Master; earlier versions had some serious bugs.

There may be issues with the software on Mac OS X but I haven't had time to test it with Macs yet. I'm basing my impression on some other reports, including this one here:
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=117086.0

Zynsygon

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 11:09:05 am »

I am using the lastest version (V1.2.3) on a Windows 10 operating system.

Zynsygon

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 09:25:50 am »

I have contacted BenQ helpdesk here in Scandinavia and they instructed me not to use a HDMI cabel but the the DisplayPort instead. And it solved the problem.

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 12:10:45 pm »

I have contacted BenQ helpdesk here in Scandinavia and they instructed me not to use a HDMI cabel but the the DisplayPort instead. And it solved the problem.

Interesting!!  Thanks for following up and sharing this with us.

Anyone else using BenQ ever see this issue?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

scyth

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 12:30:12 pm »

Interesting!!  Thanks for following up and sharing this with us.

Anyone else using BenQ ever see this issue?

Rand

some (all ? almost all ?) monitors have an option in OSD setup for HDMI connection to use  RGB range = 16-255 or 0-255 per channel... you want to use 0-255 naturally... may be that was the reason ?

Zynsygon

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 01:26:10 pm »

I don't know. But I believe SW320 is not meant to be used with HDMI - besides not being able to do hardware-calibration with this configuration, the screen often got black randomly. And it stopped when I adopted the DisplayPort.

Royce Howland

• Vivid Aspect Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 02:15:27 pm »

I've never used HDMI with any monitor of this class, so I guess I didn't see this particular issue coming. I'll add it to my list of debugging questions for future situations. :)

DisplayPort is definitely the way to go...

Lundberg02

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 07:31:54 pm »

You can not use HDMI for calibration. Read up on Rec 709.

scyth

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 08:30:37 pm »

You can not use HDMI for calibration. Read up on Rec 709.

you can = http://update.necdisplay.com/spectraview/NEC_SpectraView_README_Windows_v1_1_30_english.html

if you don't make it a TV device

HDMI and video graphics adapter driver settings:

When using an HDMI video connection to the display, beware that many video graphics adapters will by default treat the display as a TV-type device rather than a computer monitor. The range of video levels used in the video signal is different between TV devices and computer display monitors. TV devices typically use the range 16 to 235, rather than the full 0 to 255 range used by computer display monitors.

If incorrectly configured, this can lead to:
        Very poor black levels (because “black” output from the computer is actually level 16 rather than 0).
        Darker than normal whites (because “white” is level 235 rather than 255).
        The resulting screen image will appear slightly washed out and lacking in contrast.
        Significant color banding may be present.
        When calibrating the monitor, on some display models the calibration may fail and display an error message.
        On other models the calibration will finish, but the final results will show a distorted gamma curve.

Therefore, if using an HDMI video connection, be sure to check the video graphics adapter driver settings to make sure the correct range for a computer display monitor are being used. The terminology for the setting varies between each manufacturer and driver package, but some common examples are given below:

Intel: “Input Range” or “Quantization range” should be “Full Range”.

Nvidia: “Output dynamic range” should be “Full”, “Normal”, “High”, or “RGB (0-255)”.

AMD / ATI: “Color Pixel Format” should be “RGB 4:4:4 Format PC Standard (Full RGB)”.

Consult the help for the video graphics adapter driver being used for specific details.

Ethan Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 04:50:02 pm »

We've had mixed success calibrating monitors with HDMI connections. This is less of an issue with newer graphics cards that have multiple DisplayPort outputs. Dell monitors worked almost perfectly, with brightness needing manual adjustment over HDMI while it was software controlled with DP. NEC monitors also worked with the caveats mentioned above. Eizo panels were just a pain, always losing the EDID key with a HDMI cable, making for both crappy graphics and poor calibrations.

scyth

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 08:53:55 pm »

We've had mixed success calibrating monitors with HDMI connections. This is less of an issue with newer graphics cards that have multiple DisplayPort outputs. Dell monitors worked almost perfectly, with brightness needing manual adjustment over HDMI while it was software controlled with DP. NEC monitors also worked with the caveats mentioned above. Eizo panels were just a pain, always losing the EDID key with a HDMI cable, making for both crappy graphics and poor calibrations.

don't they have an option to use USB cable along with HDMI cable to make sure that software communicates with display firmware in a proper manner ?

Ethan Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 12:43:41 am »

don't they have an option to use USB cable along with HDMI cable to make sure that software communicates with display firmware in a proper manner ?

Depends on the model. In past years, it was bomb-proof when connecting via DVI. More recent versions function perfectly with DP, whereas HDMI appears to vary with the video card, phase of the moon, strength of the morning coffee...

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 07:56:02 am »

Depends on the model. In past years, it was bomb-proof when connecting via DVI. More recent versions function perfectly with DP, whereas HDMI appears to vary with the video card, phase of the moon, strength of the morning coffee...
Is there any modern video card that doesn't have a DisplayPort connection?  My NVIDIA GeForce has three of them and only one HDMI.  Even my ASUS motherboard has one that can run Intel integrated graphics.

Ethan Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 04:06:02 pm »

Is there any modern video card that doesn't have a DisplayPort connection?  My NVIDIA GeForce has three of them and only one HDMI.  Even my ASUS motherboard has one that can run Intel integrated graphics.

It's a matter of how many outputs are needed. There are current-version Nvidia cards that only have one DisplayPort output. Driving three displays with DP was difficult prior to one generation ago of video cards unless you used DisplayPort chaining with the compromises that entailed.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 05:58:52 pm by Ethan Hansen »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 05:13:32 pm »

Driving
It's a matter of how many outputs are needed. There are current-version Nvidia cards that only have one DisplayPort output. Driving three displays with DP was difficult prior to one generation ago of video cards unless you used DisplayPort chaining with the compromises that entailed.
Updating a video card is pretty straight forward if you need more ports.  I built my current workstation almost two years ago with the GeForce 960.  All the current top line GeForce cards have three DisplayPort outputs.  I don't know what the situation is with AMD video cards as I don't use them. 

Lundberg02

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 02:21:35 am »

Rec 709 is not sRGB, and you can't possibly profile an aRGB monitor with Rec 709 input.

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 10:04:11 am »

Rec 709 is not sRGB, and you can't possibly profile an aRGB monitor with Rec 709 input.
I think you are confusing color spaces with display interfaces. The TV folks can calibrate their TV's to have a huge variety of color responses over HDMI.
Pages: [1]   Go Up