Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for industrial strength tethering/preview for location  (Read 1361 times)

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/

I shoot 80% of my work on location and have used Mobi, Wifi cards as well as LR and Capture 1 tethered.
Everything is very inconsistent when it comes to connectivity to my Canon 5Dk3/2 as well as my 645Z.
Is there anything out there in the market I should be looking at outside of these usual solutions?
Thanks in advance
Rob

Daniel_Jackson

• Daniel Jackson Photo
Re: Looking for industrial strength tethering/preview for location
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:46:34 am »

I really love the CamRanger, it is wireless and I use it with an iPad. I have tethered to a MacBook pro with lightroom and Capture 1 and I miss the portability of the iPad. The CamRanger lets me trigger when I can't be close to the camera. I also like that I can see my shot live, walk into frame, and adjust things perfectly.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:53:30 am by Daniel_Jackson »

Conner999

Re: Looking for industrial strength tethering/preview for location
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 11:39:52 am »

For what it's worth, we've found that 3 things made tethering rock-solid for us. Now we're Nikon (and Mac) based, but ideas the same:

1. Separate the tether action form the image processing. That to mean find a solid piece of 3rd party software that links to the camera and drops the image into a hot folder for LR or C1 to p/u. Added benefit of not needing to restart LR or C1 if connection dies, etc.    We've always found LR  sloooww and unreliable to tether into and C1 not much better. We use Sofortbild for Nikon. Dead nuts reliable and picks-up re-connect immediately if turn off or switch cameras. LR (what we use0 has no idea Sofortbild is there and never hiccups.

2.  Don't have any TB, FW or USB drives plugged in while tethering. Backup during breaks.

3. Good cables and a USB booster. TetherTools works well for us.

Tethering shouldn't be an issue in 2017, but alas....
Pages: [1]   Go Up