Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advanced Color Scopes in Photoshop  (Read 20796 times)

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
Advanced Color Scopes in Photoshop
« on: May 30, 2017, 04:17:20 pm »

Having worked with Photoshop's color correction tools since 1993, I'm comfortable adjusting images with them, but after using video tools like RGB Parade, the Waveform Monitor and the Vectorscope, I find them to be lightyears beyond the crude Histogram in Photoshop. I posted this as a suggestion in the Adobe Forums, but I wonder if there is another way to bring this up, or get support for such an addition.

Thoughts?
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

kirkt

Re: Advanced Color Scopes in Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 02:05:19 pm »

For what it may be worth, Affinity Photo has all of these analysis tools (scope, RGB parade, waveform, power spectrum).

kirk

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 05:58:24 pm »

Having worked with Photoshop's color correction tools since 1993, I'm comfortable adjusting images with them, but after using video tools like RGB Parade, the Waveform Monitor and the Vectorscope, I find them to be lightyears beyond the crude Histogram in Photoshop. I posted this as a suggestion in the Adobe Forums, but I wonder if there is another way to bring this up, or get support for such an addition.

Thoughts?

100% agree. Actually, it should be easy (IMO) for Adobe to add those tools to Photoshop since they are already available in the video editing tools in the Creative Cloud.

BAB

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 05:17:56 pm »

You think something like having the option to choose the color of a path would be easy also but nope Adobe cant figure it out as of yet its only been requested for the last tens years. I recently read their profits are so high this year all the coders must have been transferred to sub 4 level below the building to the counting cages.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 09:27:07 pm »

I discussed those video tools with a member of the Photoshop team a few years ago.  The upshot was that there were issues maintaining color quality, such as keeping everything within a reasonably large color space, that impacted still images far more than video ones.  A video clip flies past on the screen, so color quality only has to be good enough for rock & roll.   Who cares if a big chunk of gamut falls by the wayside, as long as the fleeting image looks credible for its 72 frames of fame.   But a still image sits around inviting close scrutiny.

I think I'll take a look at those Affinity implementations.

kirkt

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 02:56:55 pm »

I recently found an application (Mac only) call ScopeBox that will monitor a live video feed as well as the feed from compatible applications (like Premiere, FCPX, After Effects):

http://www.divergentmedia.com/scopebox

I emailed the developer and asked if there was a way to make it compatible with PS - his reply was that they have been considering it.  It is a pretty versatile application, especially if you also shoot and grade video.

Hopefully they will incorporate PS into their external application monitoring scheme, especially now that PS CC has video editing capabilities.

Just an FYI.

Kirk

Ambreen_Kiran

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 01:23:28 am »

Having worked with Photoshop's color correction tools since 1993, I'm comfortable adjusting images with them, but after using video tools like RGB Parade, the Waveform Monitor and the Vectorscope, I find them to be lightyears beyond the crude Histogram in Photoshop. Any chance we could see these incorporated in a future version of that program?

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 05:58:02 pm »

I actually have the opposite opinion. I would rather that the video editing programs provide a useful Info Palette ala Photoshop instead of the waveforms, which are only approximate anyway. I would much rather be able to adjust via actual numerical data, which, especially for endpoints, is far more effective than some pretty picture.

joofa

Joofa
http://www.djjoofa.com
Download Photoshop and After Effects plugins
Pages: [1]   Go Up