Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another C1 workflow question from an Aperture user  (Read 3447 times)

jimgoldring

Another C1 workflow question from an Aperture user
« on: May 30, 2017, 11:55:04 am »

Long time lurker here who's finally going to leave Aperture.
So here’s another question about how to make C1 more like Aperture. My issue has to do with how to simply import and catalog images. I am a long time hobbyist and have used either iPhoto or Aperture since switching to digital in the late 90s. I tried LR from time to time but always came back to Apple products. Mostly vacations, family events and some more photography focused events. My workflow is simply to import images of an event or trip into Aperture which then simply lets you name that project. I then will go through the pictures and create an album of keepers for slide shows or for printing which I can again simply name. It is easy to find various albums or projects at any time. This is such an easy task on Aperture and seems so complex on C1. I’ve watched the tutorials, read the blogs, etc but the complexity and number of options seem overwhelming. I’ve gone back and forth between Catalogs and Sessions—I suspect Catalogs is the right choice. I realize that C1 is geared for folks who make their living doing photography but suspect I am missing something simple in terms of the import and cataloging of images.  I am very happy with the image editing of the photos in C1 and do not really want to change. I’ve never warmed up to LR so that is not an option for me. Also, the price of C1 is right for a Sony user.

Any help or guidance appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Re: Another C1 workflow question from an Aperture user
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 10:20:33 am »

Jim
I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the transition from Aperture to C1 as a Sony user. My solution was to just keep all RAWs on an external drive with each batch labeled as to location and date. I imported them into C1 for processing & editing. The variants worth keeping I export back to the same batch in the external drive and then delete the session so I don't clutter my iMac.

jimgoldring

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 12:42:41 pm »

Thank you for the reply. I'll try that approach with a practice group of photos.

Jim

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 03:16:51 am »

Thank you for the reply. I'll try that approach with a practice group of photos.

Jim

Have a look at Derrick Story's Capture One pages.  He writes from the perspective of a former aperture user...

http://thedigitalstory.com/capture-one-pro/

Also he made a free Ebook with Rocky Nook about switching.

http://www.rockynook.com/making-the-move-to-capture-one-pro/

It was based on Capture One 9, but still relevant for 10.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

jimgoldring

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 12:12:58 pm »

I think I've looked at those sites. The emphasis I thought was on how to import one's Aperture library into C1 but I will check it out again.

Thanks,

Jim

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 12:22:53 pm »

So here’s another question about how to make C1 more like Aperture. My issue has to do with how to simply import and catalog images.

I used to use Aperture, switched the Lightroom even thought I don't like it, and have moved on the C1.

My typical approach is to use a referenced catalog and import all new images into a folder named imports. I have lots of other folders for locations, events, and so on that I will drag the keeps to once I've made adjustments and added metadata. It, for me, is very much like what I used to do in Aperture.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

jimgoldring

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 03:04:56 pm »

Thanks for the input.

Jim

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 07:48:08 pm »

As far as I know, Capture One doesn't support smart albums, at least the ones from Aperture when I last tried a migrate. I have 80,000 images catalogued this way.
So this is a stumbling block for me as well as not supporting Hasselblad files.

Still using Aperture and looking for a catalogue programme also. There are lots of image editing programmes but few decent catalogues. Hoping for some miracle upgrade to Photos or Aperture.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:11:02 am by BobShaw »
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 04:37:34 am »

As far as I know, Capture One doesn't support smart albums, at least the ones from Aperture when I last tried a migrate. I have 80,000 images catalogued this way.
So this is a stumbling block for me as well as not supporting Hasselblad files.

Hi Bob,

Capture One does have Smart Albums, but I don't know if they transfer from Aperture. Probably a different mechanism behind it. But Smart albums are relatively easy to make in Capture One, especially when proper keywording is in place.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

AndyS

• http://www.astannard.com
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 02:50:01 pm »

Hi,

There's a number of good webinars on youtube for Capture One, the full index being here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As9NY7aV7kA&list=PLBZS3EGK3tQ_r65ab8XMT1gHmKo2_AZNg

There's a good one on Catalog organisation which would probably be worth a watch. This goes through organising your catalog in terms of albums, smart albums etc. I found it really useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxNeIPD_Q0o&list=PLBZS3EGK3tQ_r65ab8XMT1gHmKo2_AZNg&index=17

The other webinars are also good when you have time!

Hope this helps,
Andy.

jimgoldring

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 10:53:03 am »

Thank you. I think I may have already looked at this but will check it out again.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up