Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using the Dell 8K monitor as yet?  (Read 2161 times)

narikin

Anyone using the Dell 8K monitor as yet?
« on: May 29, 2017, 10:11:59 pm »

Dell 8K

Thinking of getting one, would appreciate any feedback?

I suspect NEC and/or Eizo will be out with one in a year or so, but Dell seem to have got a head start.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:34:57 pm by narikin »

Endeavour

Re: Anyone using the Dell 8K monitor as yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 08:29:30 am »

looks exciting - but not $5000 exciting (for me at least)

you're definitely going to want to make sure your OS will scale nicely, and you have DP1.4 compatible GPU & cables (two cables if you dont want to be running at 30Hz)

would love to work on that monitor

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 07:10:07 am »

On a Mac the pixel doubling would force you to run it in looks like 4k resolution in order to get details rendered in exactly 8K since 4K is exactly half the pixels in each dimension. A 32" screen at 4K is very small fonts. I'm wondering if Apple is going to change the way high DPI is handled in the future. Otherwise I don't see that it makes sense to use an 8K screen on a Mac unless the screen size is even bigger.

But $5000 and 279 DPI at 31.5" seems great, but the LG 5K at $1300 gives me 220 DPI at 27" and finer details will be lost on me :)

narikin

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 11:40:56 am »

On a Mac the pixel doubling would force you to run it in looks like 4k resolution in order to get details rendered in exactly 8K since 4K is exactly half the pixels in each dimension. A 32" screen at 4K is very small fonts. I'm wondering if Apple is going to change the way high DPI is handled in the future. Otherwise I don't see that it makes sense to use an 8K screen on a Mac unless the screen size is even bigger.

I'm on heavy duty Windows workstations, so no problem. Microsoft seem to have got their scaling together pretty well with the most recent Windows 10.

The cynic in me says Apple will release this 8k panel (rebranded) with their 'please hold till 2018' upcoming Pro update. By then I think NEC and others will have options.

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 04:27:05 pm »

Dell 8K

Thinking of getting one, would appreciate any feedback?

I suspect NEC and/or Eizo will be out with one in a year or so, but Dell seem to have got a head start.

With my poor eyesight, it would be a complete waste of time and money.
best regards,

Ted
Pages: [1]   Go Up