Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson SC-P800 constant color shift: bad result in print preview and paper  (Read 7721 times)

arbourphoto

Hey guys. Need your help. Context: I'm a long time pro and I owned several Epson medium and large printers without any problem. I can say I'm experienced/advanced level.
I bought a Epson SureColor P800 last year and since...never had a single color print that match my file. B&W using Epson's BW mode are perfect.
To go short: My LG screen is calibrated with i1Profiler and so the one of my MacBookPro late 2016. I know what are ICC's and how to install and use them. I'm still working like I did for several years without any color issue, whatever Epson's model.
Yes I uninstalled, reinstalled, recalibrate, everything (Mac OS Sierra, Software, Firmware, Adobe Cloud) is updated. Yes, when adding the printer I chose the Epson driver and not AirPrint each time I reinstalled. I've read sooo many forums and groups trying to solve that.
When it's time to print from Photoshop, the print dialog come in. Oops: there is an important color shift: colors are faded and colder, skin tones are magenta. I print and what's on the paper is the same as the color-shifted image in the print dialog. Same result from LightRoom.
Important: BOTH windows (the picture in Photoshop + the print dialog) are on the SAME screen. So can't be a different screen's calibration.
Of course, depending of the paper ICC I choose, there is a preview difference. Some matte paper gives a different look, other have a different white base and you expect this change in the print dialog. But all the time what-you-see-is-what-you-get on the paper. Or really, really close.
Now it's different. ALL papers have this unwanted faded-blue image with magenta skin tone.
Again to go short for other details: Nikon, raw converted to DNG, LightRoom for basic adjustments, adobe98 tif for retouching in Ps if necessary at home or dng sent to retoucher (calibrated screen also) that send back in adobe98 jpeg. This workflow always got consistent results for years and still do...until I print with the P800. Yes, print head are clean and tested. Yes I tried an entire sRGB color profile workflow from DNG instead of Adobe, I tried Wifi vs USB, I tried .NEF without converting to DNG (anyway, my problem happens only when it's time to print). I tried with/without black point compensation, I tried with and without color management in the printer's adjustments. Tried 8 vs 16 bit.
Few guys suggested to buy a spectrophotometer ($$$) to solve the problem (yeah...spending more than the printer's value just because the printer have a defective system!).
It does not seem to be a mechanical problem located on the printer itself. I'm doing something wrong. Is it a known issue? I've read almost everywhere people having this problem...still no answer nowhere.
THANKS

arbourphoto

And yes I tried 1440dpi and 2880 dpi, high speed and not, finest detail and not. Was sure had no connection with print dialog color shifted preview, but just in case...

arbourphoto

And yes, the same problem occurred also on my former MacBook Pro. So can't be a specific problem related to my actual laptop.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

If you are getting the same results from both PS and LR using the same profile, I strongly suspect the problem is with your profile. What paper and what profile are you using?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

As well, please verify which version of Photoshop and LR you are using. If it is Photoshop 15.5 (not 15.5.1), there was a colour management issue which 15.5.1 fixed.

Rand47

If you are getting the same results from both PS and LR using the same profile, I strongly suspect the problem is with your profile. What paper and what profile are you using?

And, at the risk of insulting the OP's experience, has color management been turned off in the Epson driver?  What he describes sounds a lot like what I've gotten when I've accidentally left color mgt on and double profiled. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Farmer

My French is poor but the driver settings appear correct (colour management disabled, photo black ink, correct paper selected.  Ps print settings appear correct, too.

The preview is accurate to the print from both Ps and Lr, so the issue is the colour pipeline within the OS.

Is the problem replicated on other images?

Does the image look the same (before the preview) in Lr and Ps?
Phil Brown

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

My French is poor but the driver settings appear correct (colour management disabled, photo black ink, correct paper selected.  Ps print settings appear correct, too.

The preview is accurate to the print from both Ps and Lr, so the issue is the colour pipeline within the OS.

Is the problem replicated on other images?

Does the image look the same (before the preview) in Lr and Ps?

My French is OK, and you've interpreted the screen-grab correctly.

He did say he's had this problem from the start with his P800, so presumably yes it has occurred with all other photos he's tried to print, but he can confirm.

I agree that the problem is mostly liked lodged in the colour pipeline within the OS, and that is what led me to query the profile and the Photoshop version, as both could be problematic. This observation is reinforced by his perception that the ABW path is working fine, suggesting again that the problem is not in the printer. He hasn't told us what profiles he's using for what papers or what application versions. Can't diagnose much more until we know that.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography

He hasn't told us what profiles he's using for what papers or what application versions. Can't diagnose much more until we know that.
Screen shot shows he is using an Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper L..... (maybe Luster; it's cut off of the dialogue box).  I assume he is using the Epson Paper as well.  This is all very strange behavior and I agree with others, there has to be some glitch in the OS but it's a weird one.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Screen shot shows he is using an Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper L..... (maybe Luster; it's cut off of the dialogue box).  I assume he is using the Epson Paper as well.  This is all very strange behavior and I agree with others, there has to be some glitch in the OS but it's a weird one.

That would be the Media Type, not necessarily the paper - and if there were a mismatch between the profile, the Media Type and the actual paper being used that may be the root of his problems.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography

That would be the Media Type, not necessarily the paper - and if there were a mismatch between the profile, the Media Type and the actual paper being used that may be the root of his problems.
Right you are!!!  I never print from Photoshop and there's a good reason for this.  I doubt the wrong media type would cause the OP's results.  That has more to do with the amount of ink that is laid down.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Right you are!!!  I never print from Photoshop and there's a good reason for this.  I doubt the wrong media type would cause the OP's results.  That has more to do with the amount of ink that is laid down.

Media Type can affect more than amount of ink laydown, but I agree may not be the most important factor here; I think the problem is likely more to do with profiles or his Photoshop version than the Media Type.

arbourphoto

Images look the same in Lr and Ps as usual on a calibrated screen. In Ps, the print dialog shows the color shift and it prints exactly color-shifted. I tried different computers on this P800 and different papers and appropriate ICC's. YES, color management is OFF.

I'm using 2017.1.1 adobe cloud CC Ps. Everything that can be updated is updated, including firmware.

I'm working like I did without any glitch for the last 15 years, printing on Epson various products. But this time, I'm stuck for months. NOTHING print the right color...except advanced BW mode. No monochrome dominance. It's black-and-white.

arbourphoto

And for media type, both printer menu + Ps or Lr menu use the same:

Ultra Premium photo paper, sheet tray (US Letter), same paper manufacturer's ICC.

If I use Velvet Fine Art, well, same thing. Both printer's menu and Ps menu are set for the good ink and paper tray, good ICC, media and size choices.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Exactly what paper are you using with which media type and what profile made by which vendor?

arbourphoto

I'm using several medias, all with shame color shift.

Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster: media type is the same name, ICC is the same name. Same on the printer: US Letter, paper tray, Premium Luster
Epson Velvet fine art (I switch to matte ink), media type Velvet Fine Art, ICC Velvet Fine Art. Same on printer: US Letter, fine art paper slot, Velvet Fine Art
Epson Metallic Luster, media type Epson Metallic Luster, ICC Epson Metallic Luster. Same on printer: Roll paper 17", Roll slot, Premium Glossy.

and so on

arbourphoto

Screenshot of velvet Fine Art 13X19

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

That's clear now, and everything you are doing looks fine, application versions OK, no double colour management, the settings that need to match do match, so we've exhausted the easy possibilities and the problem remains unresolved. BUT there is one clue: Printer Managed B&W workflow you say is coming out neutral as it should. So this means the printer is probably fine and the problem is somewhere in the colour management pipeline, but we haven't seen where yet. The last remaining thing I can think of for now is the colour settings in Photoshop. Could you post screen grabs of those settings? I'm not sure there is a problem with them because you are reporting the same issue for LR, where one doesn't make those settings, but could be useful to have a look anyhow.

arbourphoto

Update: I tried side-by-side with another photographer's similar but older laptop. Same OS, but different video card and chipset. SAME file appears and print perfectly on his laptop, still color shifted on screen and paper on mine...

I found a paper profiler, and did the profiling of all papers I use. Print dialog image is still shifted, but everything printed is perfect...finally.

It seems it's a video card and-or chipset in my laptop configuration that cause this problem.

The most important is it's now solved and I can print accordingly.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Good. Glad you nailed it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up