Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 14mm F2.8L lens  (Read 2367 times)

oak

Canon 14mm F2.8L lens
« on: August 17, 2006, 01:06:47 pm »

I've had an EF16-35 for several years and recently purchased the EF24-105 for my 5D. The latter is so good that I'm almost never using the EF16-35 but sorely miss an extreme wide angle without carrying around the EF16-35 and putting up with the substantial distortion at the 16 end. Anyone had expereicne of the EF14L as I'm minded to sell the EF16-35 and get the other lens. Key issue is distortion and evenness of brightness out to the edges at close to full aperture (both big weaknesses of the zoom). Thanks

Gary Ferguson

• http://
Canon 14mm F2.8L lens
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 06:46:20 am »

I use the 14L, and you'll find vignetting and distortion at full aperture. Stop down and the vignetting clears up quickly, but the distortion's there for keeps!

Overall it's a good lens, very sharp in the centre and reasonably sharp out towards the edges. I compared it once to a much cheaper Voigtlander 15mm on a Leica and the Voigtlander was noticeably superior, but if you want digital and especially full frame digital then there's few alternatives.

It's bulky, heavy, and expensive. But at the end of the day it delivers the ultra wide-angle impact that drives sales from libraries and that clients always seem to demand.
Pages: [1]   Go Up