Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: L1 review  (Read 5034 times)

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
L1 review
« on: August 17, 2006, 04:13:24 am »

Michael,

Many thanks for the Lumix L1 review - it is always nice to get your "real world" feedback.

One question, which for all Olympus owners is going to be primary: did John Isaacs try out the Leica lens on his E-1 ? Did it work ?

Thanks
David
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 06:55:03 am by drm »
--
David Mantripp

michael

L1 review
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 08:24:21 am »

Yes he did and yes it does.

Michael

Kenneth Sky

• http://
L1 review
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 06:40:03 pm »

Sadly the L1 sounds like it's not ready for prime time and should not have been brought to market. At least Sony had the good sense to rely heavily (I know some will say too heavily) on the K-M 5D. It's a shame what sounds like a great lens will be wasted. This could yet be the kiss of death to 4/3. Maybe Olympus didn't have enough say in the design, because I can't see them not knowing that a photographer would pick up these design flaws. Obviously more beta-testing would have helped.

David Mantripp

L1 review
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 01:59:44 pm »

This could yet be the kiss of death to 4/3.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73704\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Huh ?  Why ?
--
David Mantripp

macgyver

L1 review
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 04:47:37 pm »

This could yet be the kiss of death to 4/3.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73704\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, where did that come from?

Ben Rubinstein

L1 review
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 05:25:27 pm »

As a strong advocate of the histogram, did the tiny one featured on the L1 bother you? That seriously was one of the things that put me off the camera..

Kenneth Sky

L1 review
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 07:53:53 pm »

The reason I said it could be the "kiss of death for 4/3" is that up till now only one manufacturer truly supported the format. That left it in a tenuous position. Along comes a second supporte but with a deeply flawed product. Now the question for the prospective buyer is " does this mean Michael's original prediction of a dead end will come true?" will linger in the air. It would have been better for Panasonic to hold back the release of this product until it had focus group tested it with both amateur and professional photographers and made the neccessary corrections to make the LX2 truly competitive not just with Olympus but with Nikon, Sony, Pentax and Canon. Then the 4/3s format could have developed into a surviveable niche. - I guess I shouldn't be so cryptic in my comments

David Mantripp

L1 review
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 06:42:28 am »

The reason I said it could be the "kiss of death for 4/3" is that up till now only one manufacturer truly supported the format. That left it in a tenuous position. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73886\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh dear. Looks like the kiss of death for Canon EOS then.
--
David Mantripp

Kenneth Sky

L1 review
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 08:55:01 am »

Canon EOS may have a few flaws but far from fatal. It has been  adopted as the benchmark for professionals and advanced amateurs. That alone, gives it a market share that makes it profitable. Add to that, it acts as a "flagship" for all their other digital models and you have a viable business plan. I'm not trying to knock 4/3s. I hope it survives. But it needs internal competition to be attractive to buyers and that hasn't been realized yet.

Jo Irps

L1 review
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 03:03:52 pm »

The German monthly "ColorFoto" reported in its July isue that Sigma will unvail a new DSLR with an improoved Foveon sensor at the next Photokina in September.
That's another contender in the 4/3 field. This does not come as a surprise as Sigma has released quite a number of new lenses for the 4/3 format during the last few months.

David Mantripp

L1 review
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 10:07:11 am »

But it needs internal competition to be attractive to buyers and that hasn't been realized yet.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73928\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why ?  These statements sound very authorative & knowing, but where's the evidence ?  Does a potential E-500 or E-330 buyer think "oh dear, there's no internal competition, it isn't very attractive" ?  I don't think so. They think, well, this Pentax seems nice too...but this E-500 has got a better zoom... hmm, this Canon is a nice silver. You see lots of Canons on TV....  

I think the main fallout of any market failure of the Lumix L1 will be on Panasonic.
To be honest, if the L1 was totally fantastic, the doomsayers would be saying that it would kill off Olympus.... and therefore 4/3 is dead ... blabla.
--
David Mantripp
Pages: [1]   Go Up