Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: (Semi) Minimalism (open thread)  (Read 34814 times)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
(Semi) Minimalism (open thread)
« on: May 25, 2017, 05:00:59 am »

I think in line with the discussion on minimalism in the Coffee Corner (see here) it might be good to start a thread here in user critiques to show us your minimalistic shots. Both opinions and feedback on the pictures is appreciated ;)

Let me start off with something that I think is on the edge of minimalistic

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:11:28 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

32BT

• Pictures
Re: Minimalism (open thread)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 08:08:55 am »

Let me start off with something that I think is on the edge of minimalistic

The question basically is:
What defines minimalism?

Imo it would be an image with a discernable subject (not necessarily a single subject mind you) maximally separated from it surrounds, usually involving lots of negative space.

While this may not be an exhaustive definition, it could perhaps serve as a litmuth test, and i believe the OP image fails in that there is no discernable subject of note?

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 08:40:31 am »

Hmmm... ?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 10:18:01 am »

Hmmm. . . hmmmm. . . ?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

pegelli

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 11:14:45 am »

Hmmm. . . hmmmm. . . ?
I think the only way to increase the degree of minimalism in that shot is to reduce the lens vignetting so the blue becomes more even.

On the other hand I would have never thought that checking your sensor for dust spots could result in a picture for this thread ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

pegelli

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 11:26:04 am »

The question basically is:
What defines minimalism?

Imo it would be an image with a discernable subject (not necessarily a single subject mind you) maximally separated from it surrounds, usually involving lots of negative space.

While this may not be an exhaustive definition, it could perhaps serve as a litmuth test, and i believe the OP image fails in that there is no discernable subject of note?
If your definition stands my picture indeed doesn't meet it. I'm also not sure it's minimalistic either.
However pictures that meet your definition are most probably minimalistic but I find it too limiting and not all pictures behind the link in Russ' original post about minimalism in the coffee corner meet your definition either. Also Googling didn't immediately turn up a better definition. So maybe it's best for this thread to continue with discussion and examples to get more understanding of what a minimalistic photograph looks like.
pieter, aka pegelli

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 11:53:21 am »

If your definition stands my picture indeed doesn't meet it. I'm also not sure it's minimalistic either.
However pictures that meet your definition are most probably minimalistic but I find it too limiting and not all pictures behind the link in Russ' original post about minimalism in the coffee corner meet your definition either. Also Googling didn't immediately turn up a better definition. So maybe it's best for this thread to continue with discussion and examples to get more understanding of what a minimalistic photograph looks like.

In my interpretation (of both the definition and images) i believe there are 2 images that specifically fail the test: the torso with flowershadows, and the prayer in the mosque. The latter image would actually be more of an image with so much going on, you may see something new each time you look at it. Maybe a definition of minimalism needs something negating complexity?
Regards,
~ O ~

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 12:22:43 pm »

I think the only way to increase the degree of minimalism in that shot is to reduce the lens vignetting so the blue becomes more even.

On the other hand I would have never thought that checking your sensor for dust spots could result in a picture for this thread ;)

But you've gotta admit, Pieter, it's about as minimal as you can get. I thought about getting rid of the vignetting but I decided that might be going too far.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

pegelli

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 12:29:02 pm »

But you've gotta admit, Pieter, it's about as minimal as you can get.
You're right Russ, did you get an emotional jolt taking that picture?
pieter, aka pegelli

pegelli

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 12:33:40 pm »

In my interpretation (of both the definition and images) i believe there are 2 images that specifically fail the test: the torso with flowershadows, and the prayer in the mosque. The latter image would actually be more of an image with so much going on, you may see something new each time you look at it. Maybe a definition of minimalism needs something negating complexity?
I agree with you on the mosque, but the torso and flowers is something reduced to an almost abstract by not showing the whole and therefore closer to minimalist. There are some other shots where the surroundings/negative space becomes part of the subject (for instance the two people on the rim, the person in the stadium seat, the woman hanging from the cliff) and therefore fail (imo) your definition of a single sublject maximally separated from it surrounds while they still would be minimalist in my mind.
pieter, aka pegelli

pegelli

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 12:38:42 pm »

I posted this one earlier in the sunrise/sunset thread but I think it's minimalist as well, at least I think it meets the definition

Sunrise in Galveston
pieter, aka pegelli

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 12:58:42 pm »

I agree with you on the mosque, but the torso and flowers is something reduced to an almost abstract by not showing the whole and therefore closer to minimalist. There are some other shots where the surroundings/negative space becomes part of the subject (for instance the two people on the rim, the person in the stadium seat, the woman hanging from the cliff) and therefore fail (imo) your definition of a single sublject maximally separated from it surrounds while they still would be minimalist in my mind.

Ah, yes, but by separation i mean "visually distinct" or easily discernable. The subject becomes easily discernable because of minimizing visual stimulus of the surrounds, even though that may be complex patterning.

The torso is more about storytelling imo. There is more than one element that seems to demand our attention with very complex interaction or symbolism.

The odd exception though is this: what about a portrait separated from the background by beautiful backgroundblur?
Is that minimalist only if the head is smaller than 10% of the frame? Or if it is cropped to bare essentials? Maybe just the very side of the head, wrinkles near the eye just visible, so you can just make out the emotion?
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 01:03:32 pm »

I posted this one earlier in the sunrise/sunset thread but I think it's minimalist as well, at least I think it meets the definition

Something seems wrong with the global dynamic range, unless that's intentional of course.
Regards,
~ O ~

pegelli

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 02:56:11 pm »

Ah, yes, but by separation i mean "visually distinct" or easily discernable. The subject becomes easily discernable because of minimizing visual stimulus of the surrounds, even though that may be complex patterning.

The torso is more about storytelling imo. There is more than one element that seems to demand our attention with very complex interaction or symbolism.

The odd exception though is this: what about a portrait separated from the background by beautiful backgroundblur?
Is that minimalist only if the head is smaller than 10% of the frame? Or if it is cropped to bare essentials? Maybe just the very side of the head, wrinkles near the eye just visible, so you can just make out the emotion?
Well for me the picture of the people on the rim is all about the texture, lines and shades of the surrounding and not about the people. Also the woman hanging off the cliff could do without the ship on the other side of the horizon if you want ultimate focus on the subject. I see your point about the torso/shadows not being merely minimalistic.

The example of the portrait I think is hard to generalize, but I agree the face can't fill the majority of the frame.

And my Galveston sunset was indeed processed to be a bit dark and limited DR, to preserve the early sunrise mood. For me using the full available DR spoils the image.
pieter, aka pegelli

Telecaster

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 04:20:16 pm »

In keeping with a low DR approach…

-Dave-

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 04:45:30 pm »

The M of Minimalism?
Regards,
~ O ~

James Clark

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 04:49:03 pm »

I've posted this here before (long ago), but this remains one of my favorite images ever (as well as the only one to take home an Epson Pano Award when cropped).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:54:48 pm by James Clark »

James Clark

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 04:53:40 pm »

The M of Minimalism?

I experiment with this composition a bunch.  I dig the subject in the corner :)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 05:04:00 pm »

I experiment with this composition a bunch.  I dig the subject in the corner :)

Oh wow, that one is absolutely brilliant. Sky, subject, and placement just work extremely well here. That one would be cool on a large print with that massive (but not overprocessed) sky.

I'm contemplating a cornercomp with a buttercup flower and blue sky. Buttercup being my favourite flower because of its extraordinary warm yellowish color. It should fit well with a blue sky, and since it is a relatively small flower, it should give a nice emphasis in such a minimalism cornercomp.

Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 05:07:04 pm »

In keeping with a low DR approach…

-Dave-

Yes, scifinovelcover. (triple word value...!)
Regards,
~ O ~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up