Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow down on the LR upgrade? Problem with the targeted adjustment tool?  (Read 9807 times)

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com

I just upgraded Lightroom and Camera Raw per the Creative Cloud app. It seemed to be working just fine on my MacBook Pro, but then I tried using the targeted adjustment tool as I have done for years. Instead of showing me the tool to raise or lower the adjustment, e.g. saturation or luminance, for example, it went to the + button to zoom the image. Also I was able to select all THREE of the targeted adjustment tools! I rebooted the machine and tried again, it worked properly with the first image I selected but then would not work properly at all as I just noted.

It may be just me, but my sense is that this may be a bug?

I'd like to hear of others' experience with this.

Thanks.

Eric

Eric Brody

FWIW, I trashed LR from my MacBook Pro SSD, went to my trusty backup disk with Carbon Copy Cloner, and copied LR (previous version) from the backup I made two days ago to the MacBook Pro SSD. It appears to be working satisfactorily. It's good to be a backup fanatic :-)
The working version is Adobe Lightroom [1111918], build 1111918 from the get info on the application.
Eric

jed best

They are aware of the issue. It has happened to me several times.

jed

rdonson

Joy!  Another Lr update with yet another new bug. 
Regards,
Ron

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.

::)   

Hmm..  Maybe that's why I don't see the update..  Maybe they pulled it, for now??

Anyway..  Thanks for letting us know!  I'll now be sure to create a restore point before trying to update, if/when it shows up here.  I'll be sure to test out this TAT issue right away.
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website

I am unable to duplicate this behavior in CC2015.10.1 with OSx 10.12.5. Both Target Adjustment Tools (Tone Curve and HSL) are functioning normally on my MBPr in Soft Proof mode. We will need to get more information from you to see if we can isolate the issue.

Can you provide more details please?
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

rdonson

Rikk, thanks for speaking up.  With your report I got over my reluctance to update and did it.  I've seen no problems with T.A.T. either.

Mac OS 10.12.5
Mid 2012 MBP Retina
8GB RAM
256 GB SSD
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:49:23 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer

I have not seen any issues either since updating yesterday. 

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Cheers!

Stu

Eric Brody

Thanks for the replies. After seeing that other people had no problems, I went back and tried a bunch of things, from uninstalling and reinstalling LR, (ended up with the 2015 version!) to uninstalling all of it, from the Creative Cloud through Photoshop. The behavior is quite bizarre. Episodically it will work, then a few minutes later, it's back to the plus sign and no TAT.

There must be something wrong in the depths of my laptop. Still afraid to do my Mac Pro desktop but it's not really critical to my work so I'll wait for a while.

Only jedbest seems to have had a similar experience. I'd love to hear more from him. Not sure how to proceed since I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times to no avail, even had a failure to install event. If all else fails I'll call Adobe but have not had wonderful experiences in the past when doing that.

Eric

GerryinAus

I too have this problem with the targetted adjustment tool for the tone curve and the HSL/Color adjustments and it also affects the selection of the detail window selection point. 

Frequently (but not always) the cursor is just the hand and clicking zooms the image rather than the required function.  I have not found any pattern to this as yet.  Restarted several times no change, tried enabling/disabling graphic processor no change.

Running Retina 5K, 27-inch late 2015 iMac with 4GHz i7, 8GB memory, 500GB SSD AMD Radeon R9 M395 2MB and MacOS Sierra 10.12.5.

rdonson

What's being reported with the + and weird behavior sounds like a memory leak or something that really impairs performance as well.   May I ask if this happens only after you've been doing a lot of "editing" in Lr?   
Regards,
Ron

Eric Brody

Hi Ron, In answer to your question, it happens right away, with the first image I pull up. I know this because trying it has been the first thing I do after uninstalling and reinstalling. I just decided to go back to LR 2015.10 until this sorts out. It appears that GerryinAus has the same problem. It's peculiarly reassuring that someone else has had the same problem, so maybe I'm not crazy after all.

Eric Brody

More info, FWIW. Since it's so easy to go back, just trash the LR program and copy the older version from a older backup, I decided to upgrade my Mac Pro 2013 (64GB RAM, 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, Sierra 10.12.5), and the problem recurred. These machines share only the same wifi router, they have and have never been physically connected. So... same problem on two different machines albeit running the same OS X version and with everything else regarding Creative Cloud essentially the same.
Thanks for any thoughts from Adobe wizards or others?
Eric

rdonson

Eric, you're definitely not imaging things. This sounds like a bug.  Not easy to reproduce except on certain machines though.

By any chance are you using GPU acceleration in Lr? 
Regards,
Ron

Eric Brody

Hi Ron, I just checked and I am, is it worth trying again with it off?
Thanks.
Eric

graeme

Hi Ron, I just checked and I am, is it worth trying again with it off?
Thanks.
Eric

It seems like it's always worth experimenting with turning Graphics Acceleration off in Lightroom. If you do have it turned off I believe it's sometimes turned on again after updates.

Good luck with your issues.

rdonson

For me the graphics processor has been nothing but heartaches.  Then again my machines are getting a bit long in the tooth.  I have it OFF on both of my Macs.  Works well on my wife's new 27" 5K iMac though. 
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

Hi Ron, In answer to your question, it happens right away, with the first image I pull up. I know this because trying it has been the first thing I do after uninstalling and reinstalling. I just decided to go back to LR 2015.10 until this sorts out. It appears that GerryinAus has the same problem. It's peculiarly reassuring that someone else has had the same problem, so maybe I'm not crazy after all.

I was able to experience the T.A.T. funky cursor problem.  I clicked on the T.A.T. then moved the cursor over the image and ouila the cursor was the + cursor.  I clicked back to different things in T.A.T. dialogue box and back over the image and after a couple of tries it returned to normal. 

This isn't right. 
Regards,
Ron

brianrybolt

I was able to experience the T.A.T. funky cursor problem.  I clicked on the T.A.T. then moved the cursor over the image and ouila the cursor was the + cursor.  I clicked back to different things in T.A.T. dialogue box and back over the image and after a couple of tries it returned to normal. 

This isn't right.

Yes, I've experienced this too and it's a real pain in the butt.  I use this tool a lot and to have to deal with this new (negative) behaviour is very frustrating.

rdonson

Hmmm.... any chance that others experiencing the T.A.T. tool issues are using 2 monitors?  I am. 
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up