Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow down on the LR upgrade? Problem with the targeted adjustment tool?  (Read 9792 times)

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com

Single monitor. Also, it was episodically episodic, as in it reverted with a restart but then came back, definitely unreliable. I'm sticking with 2015.10 until the next update or until we hear of a fix from Adobe.

rdonson

Have you submitted a bug report to Adobe?
Regards,
Ron

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website

We've since been able to reproduce the issue and have a bug filed for it.
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

Eric Brody

Thanks so much Rikkflohr. It's nice to know Adobe is aware of the problem. I had not yet filed an official bug report. It's good to know Adobe pays attention to this forum.
Eric

rdonson

We've since been able to reproduce the issue and have a bug filed for it.

Thanks, Rikk !!!
Regards,
Ron

jed best

Sorry for not following this conversation but I have been away from the internet. I had filed a bug report with Adobe as soon as 6.10.1 was publicly available. In the interim, I uninstalled the program, ran disk utility on my Macbook Promand reinstalled LR. So far all is working. If the problem reappears, I will let the group and Adobe know.

Jed

jed best

Just fired up my laptop and the bug has reappeared.

Jed

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer

I know that Rikk Flohr stated that Adobe is aware of the T.A.T. issue, but I need to add that I just now started having this issues.
It would work just fine with the first image after booting up Lightroom, however went to the second image and the issue started.
Hope Adobe comes up with a fix ASAP as this issue is becoming a real pain now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just happened to find a temporary solution on this forum that this person posted:
https://www.lightroomforums.net/threads/problems-with-the-adjustments-in-the-develop-module-tat-tool.31129/

"If I want to use HSL and Luminance is marked (for example) and it doesn't´t work, I can choose any of the other two (Hue or Saturation) over and over again alternatively and almost every time it starts working normally and I can choose the one I need to go on working with"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did give it a try and it seems to work. At lease I don't have to keep rebooting.

Cheers,

Stu

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:33:59 pm by StuartOnline »

ButchM

This is really becoming a comedy of errors lately. Although it's not very humorous.

While I do not expect ANY software update to achieve pure perfection, this bad habit of introducing nearly as many new bugs that are squashed is indicative of a deeper problem ... unsatisfactory testing before release.

Adobe has not offered a public beta program in quite some time, because they don't need to, they have a multitude of pay-to-play beta testers more than willing to continue as lab rats so they don't have to invest the time and effort into proper testing.

I remember clearly that one of the selling points when CC was first introduced was that updates/upgrades would be delivered when they were ready ... not pushed out the door prematurely before they were properly vetted and tested. What are subscribers paying for when they must avoid updates until the early adopters give the all clear, or constantly roll back to known working versions? It's an extremely frustrating situation.

George Marinos

• http://WWW.IDOLOLAB.GR

I totally agree !!!

This is really becoming a comedy of errors lately. Although it's not very humorous.

While I do not expect ANY software update to achieve pure perfection, this bad habit of introducing nearly as many new bugs that are squashed is indicative of a deeper problem ... unsatisfactory testing before release.

Adobe has not offered a public beta program in quite some time, because they don't need to, they have a multitude of pay-to-play beta testers more than willing to continue as lab rats so they don't have to invest the time and effort into proper testing.

I remember clearly that one of the selling points when CC was first introduced was that updates/upgrades would be delivered when they were ready ... not pushed out the door prematurely before they were properly vetted and tested. What are subscribers paying for when they must avoid updates until the early adopters give the all clear, or constantly roll back to known working versions? It's an extremely frustrating situation.
George Marinos
http://www.idololab.gr/
Fine art Photolab
Athens,Greece

Eric Brody

Simplest solution, for now...

On the assumption that one has an uncontaminated backup, at least with a Mac, just trash the new version, (simply drag the Lightroom application icon to the trash), then copy the old, 2015.10 release back onto the boot drive. I've not seen anything in the release notes that makes upgrading essential for most of us.

I hope the nice folks at Adobe will fix this soon. I remain puzzled that some machines have the problem and yet some folks report no issues. Also it is hard to understand how such a significant problem with such a commonly used tool as the TAT escaped the notice of the engineers.

Eric

rdonson

Also it is hard to understand how such a significant problem with such a commonly used tool as the TAT escaped the notice of the engineers.

Eric

Engineers aren't the likely issue.  How did it pass test?  Did it fail during testing but was relegated to a very low priority that allowed it to be shipped?  That's what things looked like when I was writing code.  No one wants to ship a bug but the decision to ship is rarely in the hands of the engineers.
Disclaimer:  I have no idea what Adobe's development and test processes are.
Regards,
Ron

ButchM

On the assumption that one has an uncontaminated backup, at least with a Mac, just trash the new version, (simply drag the Lightroom application icon to the trash), then copy the old, 2015.10 release back onto the boot drive. I've not seen anything in the release notes that makes upgrading essential for most of us.

True ... it is easy enough to backtrack and relatively few users would be in dire straights by sticking with a prior version ... but ... which version of bugs or workarounds are we supposed to revert to? There are some with each release.

What of the user who recently purchased one of the newly supported cameras that were brought into the fold by this recent update that were hoping to finally get off the DNG conversion workaround? when these issues have become so commonplace for the past several updates where does it end?

Don't we users deserve more forethought and consideration? After all, if we as CC subscribers MUST share our monetary support month after month, year after year, from here to eternity ... shouldn't Adobe be expected to hold up their end of the bargain? Why does only one side of the equation receive a pass for their failure to hod up their part of the deal?

I have been in business as a self-employed photographer/graphic designer for over 40 years. Over those decades I have had issues and mistakes. Some of my own making. Some the fault of others in my employ or that provided service to me. In all cases, I was the one who had to make it right with my customers. I had no alternative but to accept the responsibility for the mistake and make it up to my clients. If I didn't, they could quite easily seek out other options.  I just don't get why Adobe should get more leeway than any other business.

Ideally, if Adobe insists upon such a lackadaisical pre-release testing policy, it may be much more wise to issue new camera RAW and lens profile support updates separately. I doubt that including support for the new Sony A9 cause the TAT code to break.

ButchM

Disclaimer:  I have no idea what Adobe's development and test processes are.

Agreed, we don't know the internal policies and/or the decision making behind each update version release. However, the results speak for themselves.

Eric Brody

I was wondering what was happening with this issue so went to the Adobe Lightroom forum and found some discussions not unlike those here at https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr-cc-2015-10-1-develop-modul-softproofing-mode-tones-curve-activation.

The good news is that it will be fixed with the next LR update, the bad news is that there's no ETA on that. Here's the quote from RikkFlohr,

"Official Response
At this time a fix for the Target-Adjustment-Tool (TAT) issue will be waiting for the next Lightroom update.

In the interim, to avoid the issue you have two options:

1. Use Manual Controls rather than the TAT.  The Tone Curve and Adjustments (HSL) panels should function normally in CC2015.10.1/6.10.1.

2. Revert to Lightroom CC2015.10/6.10 if the TAT is critical to your workflow.  Reversion requires an uninstall of Lightroom and a manual install of the 6.0 version and then the 6.10 patch.  See this document for links to the files: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html . You will need to enter your License Key or Adobe ID appropriately for your license after installation.

Resetting Preferences and restarting Lightroom will temporarily restore the tool to functionality but are temporary measures that will likely not last a session.

There are reports that toggling repeatedly between Hue/Saturation/Lightness will restore the TAT tool functionality but it is only temporary.

Any updates on this issue will be posted here.

Please note: this is a Mac-only issue. Windows TAT should be unaffected.

I do not have an ETA to share on the update yet"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up