Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Topaz Studio, pre-release available  (Read 9635 times)

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Re: Topaz Studio, pre-release available
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 11:58:58 am »

Just to update: now a week later, still no response from Topaz. I tried uninstall/reinstall, made no difference.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

delfalex

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 12:52:55 pm »

InFocus has a different set of controls as well, but took roughly 6 seconds for an Unknown/Estimate blur adjustment, but as a plugin the result is visible in less than 1 second (which allows almost real-time tweaking).

Hi Bart,

I've started playing around with Studio; with a hope to mimicking the results I achieved with Infocus (Out-Of-Focus) de-convolution sharpening; as you mentioned the controls are more minimal.
Have you had a chance to play and fathom them out as yet?
So far I have found the Lens Deblur to be far more aggressive (the Unsharp Mask seems to unzero it self when ones starts adjusting the Lens Deblur), easily creating jagged edges whilst hardly resolving the lens blur.

Cheers

Alex

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 03:36:56 pm »

Hi Bart,

I've started playing around with Studio; with a hope to mimicking the results I achieved with Infocus (Out-Of-Focus) de-convolution sharpening; as you mentioned the controls are more minimal.
Have you had a chance to play and fathom them out as yet?

Hi Alex,

Nothing in-depth, but while it's useful for Capture sharpening when used in moderation, I'm still using the PS plugins InFocus or FocusMagic.

So far I have found the Lens Deblur to be far more aggressive (the Unsharp Mask seems to unzero it self when ones starts adjusting the Lens Deblur), easily creating jagged edges whilst hardly resolving the lens blur.

Yes, it is slightly heavy handed, but then one should only use a little Lens Deblur. From what I've read, it uses blind deconvolution which means that it adapts to the sharpest parts of the image, and deconvolves based on that. One can only change the amount that is applied, not the radius as such. The Threshold is used to avoid low contrast features to be sharpened too much.

The Unsharp Mask sliders also move when you move those in the Lens Deblur mode, but they are mutually exclusive. You only use one, or the other. So after applying a small amount of Lens Deblur and a bit of threshold (e.g. 20/20), one can add another Sharpen adjustment layer and then use Unsharp Mask with a radius of choice (I tend to stay near 0.7 - 0.8 radius unless diffraction is significant). These two together allow to get a decent amount of sharpening done, but nothing as refined as with InFocus or FocusMagic.

One could use several Unsharp Mask adjustment layers with different Radii.

BTW, I tend to set the sharpen blend mode to Luminosity, and might tweak the opacity a bit.

Cheers
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 04:13:42 pm »

More advice for Damon from another user:

1. Uninstall previous version of Topaz Studio using the TS Update Manager
2. Delete the folder Macintosh HD/User/YOU/Library/Application Support/Topaz Labs/Topaz Studio
3. Reinstall Topaz Studio
4. Log in with your user account
5. et voilĂ 

Thank you for taking the time to offer your help.  I appreciate it.

When I started the program today, all the payment-required adjustments are working. Last time they were not. I didn't do anything at my end. Perhaps Topaz did something at their end.

delfalex

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 06:00:03 pm »

Thanks Bart,

That's a helpful image to hold in mind whilst experimenting with finding a good balance (I'm already thinking about masking the centre and outer areas of images to apply different types of sharpening).

I'll keep Infocus working as my main Deconvolution base level sharpener for the time being as it is pretty awesome.

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up