Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on raw vs jpg in Fuji X systems, and any jpg settings you like  (Read 9080 times)

rdonson

Good luck, Paul.  Please report back on how you like seeing in B&W.
Regards,
Ron

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia

Probably a dumb question but could someone explain why you delve into jpeg when you can shoot raw and then assign the film profile in Lightroom?  This lets you look at a myriad of effects non destructively.  What am I missing??  Thanks!

I'm finding the LR profiles to be a not very good match to the jpegs.

rdonson

I'm finding the LR profiles to be a not very good match to the jpegs.

Bernie, could you elaborate?  In what ways do they deviate from the JPEGs?
Regards,
Ron

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia

Mainly tonality.  The highlights and shadows are noticeably different.  The colours aren't too bad.

rdonson

Have you tweaked the JPEG settings in camera or are they all standard (zero)?
Regards,
Ron

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia

I've since changed my jpg settings.  When I get some time I'll do some careful test shots to check again.  The first bunch of images I took when I noticed the problem I was still very green with the camera settings.  I've since got a handle on all the various jpg settings, so should run the test again.

TommyWeir

There's more to the in camera JPEGs than you might think, the Fuji engineers have baked in some grain, the curves applied respond to light levels, the highlights falloff in the Acros setting is always graceful, those little files are remarkable I think.

Now like everyone here I use my RAWs mainly... but... I shoot RAW+JPEG, I have set a few settings I like per simulation and mapped these to various presets in the Q menu.  I love the Acros+Y filter when I am shooting landscapes and flip between it and the Chrome for events.  It is wonderful to see a monochrome viewfinder when I am shooting.   I have a most RAW like preset set up (ProNeg Std with things turned off) for when I'm shooting a portrait or particularly color sensitive shots.

For one off images I work on the RAW but If I shoot an event for someone, nine times out of ten, I send them the JPEGs straight from the camera.   The prospect of editing a couple of hundred RAWs after a night at a show or simply selecting the JPEGs and uploading them, the JPEGs win every time. 

rdonson

I've found these film simulations for my X-T2 to be quite nice.  I don't use them all and I may tweak them from time to time to suit my taste but they're pretty well thought out.  Especially nice with the latest firmware where you can name the custom settings.

http://petetakespictures.com/blog/filmandvision
Regards,
Ron

Rand47

At very high ISO I find the in-camera noise handling of jpegs very difficult to duplicate, let alone improve upon in raw processing.  I shoot raw + jpeg and use the jpegs as "targets to better" in my raw post processing. The jpegs are DARN GOOD. For many quotidian fun shots, I often just give small tweaks to the jpeg and call it good. 

Here's an example:

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

AndyS

• http://www.astannard.com

Hi,

There are couple of decent videos worth watching of other talking about their FujiX settings, including film simulation related settings.

Kevin Mullins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXh6WgoukeY
Bert Stephani: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soBXQmV8GcY&t

I normally shoot Raw, but the JPGs are good enough that everyone so often I like to set up some film settings and go shoot JPG for the day.

Regards,
Andy.

David S

Typically I shoot RAW + JPEG but I am continually surprised at how the JPEGs are often more than good enough. I keep both and I will have the RAW for future "development" should major improvements in processing come about.

Dave S
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up