Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Minimalism  (Read 19826 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Minimalism
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 01:57:08 pm »

Absolutely, Otto. People surely must get emotional jolts from pictures of their cats. Go ahead: tell me that pictures of pets are posted for art critiques.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 02:22:30 pm »

...If posting photographs on the internet brings pleasure to the photographer, then it is a good thing...

No, it is not. It just increases the amount of crap in the world.

Besides, there are many things that posting of which brings pleasure to the poster, but god forbid we are exposed to all of it. Some of which might get you arrested just for seeing it.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 02:37:36 pm »

This is the mental picture I have in my mind when Russ and Slobodan discuss the next round of pet (and other non emotional jolt) pictures on LuLa  ;)

pieter, aka pegelli

Otto Phocus

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 02:40:18 pm »

Absolutely, Otto. People surely must get emotional jolts from pictures of their cats. Go ahead: tell me that pictures of pets are posted for art critiques.

They might be, I don't follow that sort of stuff.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

RSL

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 03:17:55 pm »

Yeah. They're probably posting their cats for constructive criticism.

And, Pieter, good to see you away from the political rants.

James Clark

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 03:28:51 pm »

I don't really get the issue.  Bits and bytes aren't in short supply, and so far as I know Kevin hasn't indicated any looming storage capacity crisis.  There's a thread for pets.  I posted a cat in it to share a picture of my cat.  That didn't stop me from posting my seemingly well-received London series at a later date, nor did anything I posted prior to the kitty become devalued, I don't think, by said furry creature.

Speaking more generally, I've never really understood the problem some people seem to have regarding "unwanted" subject matter (images, verbiage, etc.) online.  The Intertubes aren't like a closed room or a theatre - someone blasting the kitty thread every day has zero impact on the discussions surrounding Russ' street postings, Slobodan's architecture work, Bob David's nightlights, or my... whatever it is that I do.   Until such time as people that post community-enriching work that you enjoy stop doing so entirely in lieu of cats enjoying cheezeburgers, why get distracted by it?

Going back to the original link in the post, I think the work is excellent.  One of the hardest things, for me at least, is not what to put into an image, but how to effectively *exclude* those things that detract, and the OP is right (IMO) that many of us could learn form the effectiveness of images like that.  But to me, that doesn't inherently devalue work from others that might not subscribe to that theory or that aesthetic, even if the resulting work from those folks might be considered uninspiring.

Tourist pic?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:38:37 pm by James Clark »

RSL

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 03:47:42 pm »

I posted a cat in it to share a picture of my cat.

And, of course, you were looking for a critique of your cat, since the title of the blog is "User Critiques."

I really think we need a new blog on LuLa called "Tourist Pictures and Cats."

James Clark

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 03:51:46 pm »

And, of course, you were looking for a critique of your cat, since the title of the blog is "User Critiques."

I really think we need a new blog on LuLa called "Tourist Pictures and Cats."

No, I wasn't (although I did *offer* one - I missed focus, but the paws were tack sharp :D )   I was simply contributing in a place where other were contributing similar images.  If the fault is mine for disregarding the meaning of the forum hierarchical structure, I can live with that.  ;)

pegelli

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 03:53:47 pm »

Yup, photography is much more fun, even Alan Klein admits that ;)

I also just posted a cat picture in the pets thread: see here but don't feel pressured to critique it. It was just for fun to show here that I visited my son earlier this week. But it did give me a jolt taking it, so maybe that counts for something.  8)
pieter, aka pegelli

RSL

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 04:05:23 pm »

No, I wasn't (although I did *offer* one - I missed focus, but the paws were tack sharp :D )   I was simply contributing in a place where other were contributing similar images.  If the fault is mine for disregarding the meaning of the forum hierarchical structure, I can live with that.  ;)

Forgot to mention that I like your Taos Belltower. I'm trying to remember just where that little graveyard is.

And Pieter, posting a cat in User Critiques is pretty bad, but it's probably better than the crap that goes on nowadays in the political rants here in the Coffee Corner.

Oops. Time to stop solving photographic problems and have a Perfect Manhattan.
 8)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 04:11:03 pm »

Photography is a big tent. Lots of room for everyone.
--
Robert

pegelli

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 04:11:12 pm »

And Pieter, posting a cat in User Critiques is pretty bad
You know me, I don't always follow your established logic and where else then "Let's see your pets" should I have posted that picture?  ::)
Enjoy your Manhattan!
pieter, aka pegelli

James Clark

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 05:17:19 pm »

Forgot to mention that I like your Taos Belltower. I'm trying to remember just where that little graveyard is.

And Pieter, posting a cat in User Critiques is pretty bad, but it's probably better than the crap that goes on nowadays in the political rants here in the Coffee Corner.

Oops. Time to stop solving photographic problems and have a Perfect Manhattan.
 8)

Thanks - it's at Taos Pueblo at the old chapel that was destroyed in the 1800s (off the top of my head - could be wrong about the date though...)

Cheers to the manhattan!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 05:22:28 pm »

I don't really get the issue.  Bits and bytes aren't in short supply...

An old adage comes to mind: just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

P.S. Taos pic is good.

James Clark

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 05:32:25 pm »

An old adage comes to mind: just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

P.S. Taos pic is good.

Thank you.  I was there, so I shot it ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 05:42:21 pm »

...I was there, so I shot it ;)

"Being there" is a conditio sine qua non* in photography. F/8 is optional. The point is to rise above the mere presence. As one jury member once put it (about my submission): "opportunistic shot - you were there, you clicked." It stung (my ego).

* This is just to irritate Jeff, who thinks that certain voters need a translation from words with Latin roots ;)

James Clark

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 05:50:13 pm »

"Being there" is a conditio sine qua non* in photography. F/8 is optional. The point is to rise above the mere presence. As one jury member once put it (about my submission): "opportunistic shot - you were there, you clicked." It stung (my ego).

* This is just to irritate Jeff, who thinks that certain voters need a translation from words with Latin roots ;)

Ah.  Hence the increasing popularity of drones.

Farmer

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2017, 06:00:55 pm »

Russ - you're not really providing feedback, you're providing an opinion.  In the rare instances that I've posted photos here, I've been give very good feedback and critique - information that helped me learn.  Not a general "you shouldn't post that here".  I'm always happy to receive feedback, positive or negative, so long as it's constructive.  Even if I don't like what's being said, it has value.

Also, in terms of "being there", isn't the old PJ axiom "F8 and be there"?

When I was a kid in the 70s and 80s, travelling around parts of Australia that to this day few people have been, just "being there" and recording it had, and retains, significant value.  The old slides mostly taken by my dad, but plenty also by my mum and even the odd one by me.  They have value.
Phil Brown

Peter McLennan

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 06:04:17 pm »

Don't know, Farmer, because I haven't seen a picture by Terry since I guess about the beginning of time.

Then you haven't been paying attention.  Terry is a frequent poster here, and in his images we see both his skills as a photographer and as a communicator.

My beef, Graeme, is that most people posting on LuLa aren't posting things that gave them an emotional jolt. They're just showing they were there.
This one of my cat  gives me an emotional jolt every time I see it.  In fact, it's posted on my fridge.  I shoot a lot of cat pictures and this one, frankly, I find rather engaging, even if I did shoot it with my phone. So there.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2833/33855672531_661ca3454c_b.jpg  (scroll down, please to meet Hamish, who is orange)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2017, 09:52:02 pm »

Russ, I refer you to my post, #49 in the "Show me your pets" thread, about my cat Hugo. Minor White felt that the photo had artistic merit.

"Artist's model, musician, and bon vivant, his image was one of only two non-human nudes in the exhibit of about 100 prints that Minor White chose for "Being Without Clothes" at M.I.T.'s Hayden Gallery in 1970 (also published as an Aperture book.)"

I rest my case.   ;)

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up