Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Version 1 and 2  (Read 2108 times)

BobDavid

Version 1 and 2
« on: May 20, 2017, 05:02:27 pm »

Revisited this photo and made some adjustments. It's sometimes hard to know when to stop.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Version 1 and 2
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 06:49:31 pm »

My preference is version 2.

However, if you are into endless diddling, I can make a few more suggestions.
The zebra shirt of the woman in the background, right of center, plays off beautifully against the stripes of the flag, but the man a bit to the right of her, with his back to us has a very boring dark shirt. I would put him in a shirt of pink polka  dots on yellow. And I like the two feet showing below the counter of the guy just left of center, but I think you should consider adding 6-inch spike shoes for the guy beside him.    ::)  ::)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 08:36:12 pm »

My preference is version 2.

However, if you are into endless diddling, I can make a few more suggestions.
The zebra shirt of the woman in the background, right of center, plays off beautifully against the stripes of the flag, but the man a bit to the right of her, with his back to us has a very boring dark shirt. I would put him in a shirt of pink polka  dots on yellow. And I like the two feet showing below the counter of the guy just left of center, but I think you should consider adding 6-inch spike shoes for the guy beside him.    ::)  ::)

Yup ... back to the Wacom. I'm glad you like #2. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth the extra effort for a 10% improvement.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:31:38 pm »

Yup ... back to the Wacom. I'm glad you like #2. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth the extra effort for a 10% improvement.
I think the rule of thumb is that a 10% improvement has a 10% probability of increasing the selling price by 1%.

Of course the additional "improvements" I suggested would likely reduce the quality of the image by at least 40  - 60%.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 02:32:11 am »

Eric, I think you've nailed the stats.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 02:40:44 am »

Both are very good and the top in both seems potentially problematic. I assume you cropped the top to lose the bold logo but in doing that you clipped the M which personally I find more of a problem. I think I'd try cropping to keep all the M then clone a strip of brown above it. But honestly how much difference would it make?

Mike

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 04:34:13 am »

Revisited this photo and made some adjustments. It's sometimes hard to know when to stop.

Why bother? What's the interest in this image? What are you trying to convey? What's the focus?

Is it the symmetry of the two persons sitting at the front table? How is that emphasised by your edits?

imo: you don't know when to stop, because you don't have a clear message/subject/POI. If you don't have a clear subject and a clear idea of how to present that subject, then you don't know when you're finished.

The discussion about a tiny bit more or less cropping is just silly.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 10:04:14 am »

Why bother? What's the interest in this image? What are you trying to convey?...

A homage to Breugel?  ;)

John R

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 02:28:05 pm »

With every crop comes a new emphasis. What do you want to emphasize? If you crop out top portion to allow only the silver of the kitchen or blue light area, it creates a really nice framework for the people and scene- from silver garbage cans and table to the silver top of kitchen, with slightly greater emphasis on the metallic industrial decor. On the other hand, if you crop the bottom to just below the tops of the garbage bins, or even above the garbage cans, the emphasis becomes the people, especially the ones in the centre. I have to say, I don't like the top portion at all. It strike me that it is unnecessary and draws your eyes away from the overall buzz of the scene.

JR

graeme

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 02:53:13 pm »

Why bother? What's the interest in this image? What are you trying to convey? What's the focus?

Is it the symmetry of the two persons sitting at the front table? How is that emphasised by your edits?

imo: you don't know when to stop, because you don't have a clear message/subject/POI. If you don't have a clear subject and a clear idea of how to present that subject, then you don't know when you're finished.

I don't necessarily agree with what Oscar is saying here, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time & energy on this image if I had bodies of work like 'The HOA', 'Horizon', & Nightwatchman' to develop ( & promote ).

Graeme

BobDavid

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 03:12:52 pm »

A homage to Breugel?  ;)

Heh, heh. Right on!

BobDavid

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 03:23:33 pm »

I'd love to see some of your photos. How about posting some?

riverrat373

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 04:00:02 pm »

I change cameras more often than most people change their underwear!
Pages: [1]   Go Up