Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting existing folders into Lightroom  (Read 1233 times)

NigelC

Getting existing folders into Lightroom
« on: May 20, 2017, 12:57:05 pm »

Although I've dabbled in Lightroom in the past I didn't really gel with the Import/catalogue side of things so carried on using Bridge/Photoshop. Having recently gone from PC to a refurbished Imac, my only option at reasonable cost was to buy an upgrade to LR6 as Photoshop now only available through subscription. So I'm just going to have to use Lightroom but you can't access files the same way as through Bridge. What's the best way to create a library/catalogue in Lightroom when I have dozens if not hundreds of folders spread across several external hard drives? Can I just ADD all the folders in each of the hard drives in the source directory and put the same folders in the same list of hard drives in the destination.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Getting existing folders into Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 01:06:47 pm »

Can I just ADD all the folders in each of the hard drives in the source directory and put the same folders in the same list of hard drives in the destination.

Yes. Though it's easier - when you choose ADD, Lightroom registers ("imports") the files in their current locations, so destination is not involved.

Maybe read through the quick start guides here https://www.lightroomqueen.com/quickstart/ ?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Getting existing folders into Lightroom
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 01:08:27 pm »

Although I've dabbled in Lightroom in the past I didn't really gel with the Import/catalogue side of things so carried on using Bridge/Photoshop. Having recently gone from PC to a refurbished Imac, my only option at reasonable cost was to buy an upgrade to LR6 as Photoshop now only available through subscription. So I'm just going to have to use Lightroom but you can't access files the same way as through Bridge. What's the best way to create a library/catalogue in Lightroom when I have dozens if not hundreds of folders spread across several external hard drives? Can I just ADD all the folders in each of the hard drives in the source directory and put the same folders in the same list of hard drives in the destination.

First of all, if you are going to start using Lightroom on a regular basis, do some reading or watch some videos and learn how the application works. There is a plethora of excellent resources in the tutorial section of this website (especially the videos) describing all this, and in particular what you are asking about, in considerable depth. Also, think of buying Martin Evening's excellent Lightroom 6 book. I've been using this application since version 1 and I still keep this by my side.

Secondly, LR is not Bridge. It isn't a file browser. When you import photos, the default position is that they stay where they are. The Lightroom catalog creates pointers to them. Import a batch of photos, make a "Collection" of them, name the Collection, and that name will show in the Collection section of the left hand column in the Library Module. You only need one catalog; the photos can be anywhere. But once you import them into the LR catalog, anything else you want to do with them, such as moving them around or deleting them or renaming them, for example, you should do from LR, so that the LR catalog always keeps track of where your assets are for when you need them.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up