Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I really want to like you, Capture One  (Read 3768 times)

RightBrain

I really want to like you, Capture One
« on: May 18, 2017, 09:06:48 pm »

I'm nearing the end of the trial and I have been trying so hard to get a decent workflow going. I have such a great flow in Lightroom, but I simply love the processing in Capture One. However, I've come to the realization that I must choose between raw processing and image management. My workflow for pet shelter photography means I to be able to move folders within my image management programme. I also really need to group images (I do a lot of head swaps for pets and my workflow in Lightroom allows me to group images that can combine into one). Nested folders are crucial to me. Capture One can do that but then I need to move each folder individually to its new location. I also would like to shift click several folders to see what is inside each, then sorting by capture time to maybe find a better version of a photo.

My client work would really benefit from Capture One though... ah the skin tones.

So until the next couple of iterations... I must say not right now.  Are there any other Lightroom Users that tried but couldn't make the leap?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: I really want to like you, Capture One
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 11:25:04 pm »

I must choose between raw processing and image management.
Why? They are different parts of the workflow. Use the best one (to you) for each. Just export the hero shots as a TIF.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:45:18 am »

I'm wondering if you can't create User Collections to handle this. You can create Groups, Projects, Smart Albums and Albums.
You can also filter/search on ratings, color tags, dates, keywords regardless of where the files physically live.
Just a thought.
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

sebbe

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:56:03 am »

My client work would really benefit from Capture One though... ah the skin tones.

This is not an issue of C1 (or LR), the profile you are using is responsible for the colors. Go to the "Color Management" section. Open the dcamprof thread and fix it by your own. If you wait a few weeks, there will be a more user friendly version with a GUI.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 03:31:31 am »

I must choose between raw processing and image management.

Sure, combining the two produces huge benefits. Aperture and Lightroom proved that, and C1 has moved in that direction. Given only 24 hours in a day, a fragmented workflow just means less time to squeeze the most out of your pictures. Maybe review how you deal with skin tones in Lightroom?

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 08:23:03 am »

I'm nearing the end of the trial and I have been trying so hard to get a decent workflow going. I have such a great flow in Lightroom, but I simply love the processing in Capture One. However, I've come to the realization that I must choose between raw processing and image management. My workflow for pet shelter photography means I to be able to move folders within my image management programme. I also really need to group images (I do a lot of head swaps for pets and my workflow in Lightroom allows me to group images that can combine into one). Nested folders are crucial to me. Capture One can do that but then I need to move each folder individually to its new location. I also would like to shift click several folders to see what is inside each, then sorting by capture time to maybe find a better version of a photo.

So until the next couple of iterations... I must say not right now.  Are there any other Lightroom Users that tried but couldn't make the leap?

Hi Rb,

Why not read up on session workflow? Sounds like it could be better for your situation.

http://blog.phaseone.com/sessions-101-discussing-the-concept/

First in a 3 part series.
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

RightBrain

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 05:19:58 pm »

Thank you for the thoughtful comments. I have been giving it another go. In many ways, the workflow in LR, can be accomplished albeit differently in CO. I just need to let go preconceived notions (I did that when I dropped Aperture for Lightroom). Do I really need to group images? Probably not. And, who knows, a future version may have such an option.

I am reading about session workflows: for client sessions, it would work. But for my volunteer work, each animal (about 30) would require a separate session, so it doesn't make sense. That's why multiple folders work better.

Thanks again for the comments!

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 06:17:38 pm »

Thank you for the thoughtful comments. I have been giving it another go. In many ways, the workflow in LR, can be accomplished albeit differently in CO. I just need to let go preconceived notions (I did that when I dropped Aperture for Lightroom). Do I really need to group images? Probably not. And, who knows, a future version may have such an option.

I am reading about session workflows: for client sessions, it would work. But for my volunteer work, each animal (about 30) would require a separate session, so it doesn't make sense. That's why multiple folders work better.

Thanks again for the comments!

No, you wouldn't need a different session for each animal.

I would create subfolders for each animal in one Session and set the Capture name to automatically change to the folder name.
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 02:17:03 pm »

You really need to read up more on the session workflow. They are faster, more flexible, and the right answer for most of our users, as we discuss in our sessions vs catalog article.

If you've already watched some of the webinars and browsed the user manual then I'd suggest taking a Capture One class. It will save you hours of banging your head against the wall. The 30 animals example is one where Capture One sessions (properly set up by a knowledgable users) absolutely slaughter LightRoom for fast, efficient, powerful workflow.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 02:21:02 pm »

This is not an issue of C1 (or LR), the profile you are using is responsible for the colors. Go to the "Color Management" section. Open the dcamprof thread and fix it by your own. If you wait a few weeks, there will be a more user friendly version with a GUI.

This is a vast oversimplification of achieving pleasing color in raw processing. Between raw file and on-screen image there is a LOT more than the profile. C1's debayering, color engine, color editor, styles engine (especially in 10.1) and LAB based curves are all instrumental in the overall color workflow of Capture One. The fact that Phase One spends loads of time per camera doing actual images in real world situations to make incredibly well respected color profiles (without the need and pitfalls of user custom profiling) is also important of course.

stevebri

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 01:17:14 pm »

Hi rightbrain and others,

In a similar spot to you here,s what I did.

Firstly it will take more than 30 days to get up to speed with capture 1 so don't look at it's a
LR replacement straight away, look at it for what it is to you, a great raw converter.

So import,tag,edit etc in LR but work on your absolute best images in C1 and save them in the same folder and sync your catalogue in LR.

This really does help because you are buying time. Yes you will own both programs for a while, but by using LR for 90% of your workflow as usual and initially C1 just to convert your Rawls you can still 'work' speedily and as time goes by you will learn more and more about C1.

Own them both now, but say to yourself 'by xmas I can make a choice' and by then it will either be LR, C1 or both, but at least you will know both programs very very well.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up