Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus 22 tethered power supply via Firewire  (Read 2050 times)

BCMielke

Leaf Aptus 22 tethered power supply via Firewire
« on: May 18, 2017, 05:03:27 pm »

After much deliberation in another thread I went with the Leaf Aptus 22 Digital Back as my foray into MF photography.  At least digitally. 

The back just arrived.  I purchased it without a battery from KEH so I do have a warranty and can return it.  I have a battery on it's way, but of course this is a new toy and I want to use it now!  :)

I know that this can be shot tethered with either Leaf Capture or Capture One Pro 10.  I have downloaded the Leaf program and I already own C1.  I also have an aging Mac Pro 2007(yeah I know as soon as Apple comes out with an actual successor I will purchase it).  The nice part of though is it has some firewire ports that I can plug the back into.

So I get out my firewire cables that haven't seen the light of day since 2012 probably.  I plug the back in and the green light turns on and then promptly turns off.  I push the on/off button, but the back doesn't turn on.  I do some searching on the site and on the internet and it appears that I need a powered firewire repeater.  However, I am wondering the following.

1.  Do I know have enough power in my firewire ports on my Mac Pro 2007 to turn the camera on?
2.  Would I need a firewire repeater to power the camera?
3.  Is there anything I can do before my battery arrives to see if this back works? 

Thanks for the help.

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
Re: Leaf Aptus 22 tethered power supply via Firewire
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 06:30:12 pm »

I used a Leaf Aptus 7 DM33 back on my Mamyia 645DF and it worked from a Mac Pro without a FW repeater. I used the cable that came with the back.

You may want to try one of the FW ports on the back of the computer.
Hopefully your cable is heavy enough for the power requirements of the back.

Good luck.
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 10:15:02 pm »

Is the firewire cable short, like less than a metre?  Longer ones will drop voltage which "may" be the problem.
You should also watch the other guys thread further down on Leaf Aptus 22 tethering.
Good luck.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

BCMielke

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:49:21 pm »

Thanks, that was the first thread that I read through. 

BCMielke

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 02:51:14 pm »

I used a Leaf Aptus 7 DM33 back on my Mamyia 645DF and it worked from a Mac Pro without a FW repeater. I used the cable that came with the back.

You may want to try one of the FW ports on the back of the computer.
Hopefully your cable is heavy enough for the power requirements of the back.

Good luck.

Hmmm.  My cables are pretty old.  They are only about 1-2 meters so that might be the problem.  For whatever reason when I plug in anything new via firewire it creates havoc on all of my other legacy FW devices. 

Looks like I will just have to wait for the battery.  It should be here shortly to test the back out.

BCMielke

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 07:30:39 pm »

Battery arrived and I continued to have issues.  The unit turned on, but seem to have issues writing photos to the CF card in the back. 

I compared the connection on the back to the connection on the camera it was not tight.  I tightened the screws near the pins and cleaned the pins with rubbing alcohol.  I then put the back on the camera and haven't had an issue since.

So far I am really enjoying it. 

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 08:04:06 pm »

Thanks for posting the problem and the solution. Good tip to keep in mind if we have problems like that in the future.
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver
Pages: [1]   Go Up