Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: paper samples and profiling  (Read 946 times)

Endeavour

paper samples and profiling
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:48:59 am »

I have an HP Z3100 which I'm really happy with on the papers I currently use and have profiles for.

But I want to try out some new/different custom (non HP) papers for displaying my work. The trouble is that to calibrate and create a new ICC profile for a paper type, the z3100 needs at least 2 sample sheets and one of them has to be A3 size or greater

All sample packs which I can find are 8.5x11 (which makes sense) so how am I expected to accurately evaluate a range of papers without paying hundreds of $ getting full boxes of A3 sheets?

or am I missing something?

mearussi

Re: paper samples and profiling
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 04:07:59 pm »

A few manufacturers offer free sample rolls, or offer small sample rolls for sell. If you're in the U.S. Hahnemuhle will send you free 24" x 10' rolls of many of their papers (and also make free custom profiles for you) as will Canson (either 17" or 24"). Premier Art will send 13" x 10' free sample rolls and Breathing Color sells 17" or 24" x 10' sample rolls for very little. There may be others as well.

Since you're in Canada they may also extend these offers to you.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:11:24 pm by mearussi »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 07:14:10 pm »

Just use the stock profile on the A4 until you decide the paper you want and then buy the A3 to custom profile.
If the paper manufacturer doesn't have stock profiles for your printer then you probably have the wrong printer, but something close should be good enough to evaluate.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

brianrybolt

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 04:23:21 am »

Just use the stock profile on the A4 until you decide the paper you want and then buy the A3 to custom profile.
If the paper manufacturer doesn't have stock profiles for your printer then you probably have the wrong printer, but something close should be good enough to evaluate.

I have used manufacturers A4 sample sheets and then used 'magic tape' by Scotch to tape the long sides together very carefully and was able to get very good profiles with my HP 3100.

Brian

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 08:35:32 pm »

I have used manufacturers A4 sample sheets and then used 'magic tape' by Scotch to tape the long sides together very carefully and was able to get very good profiles with my HP 3100.

I do this all the time! With 2 sheets of 8.5x11, simply tape them on the back so that you have an 8.5x22. The extra length works fine and makes handling a snap. If you only have limited samples, use a similar weight paper instead for the extension.

So long for now, Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up