Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sony FE lenses  (Read 2550 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: New Sony FE lenses
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 11:05:46 am »

I have been at the Sony event, without internet for several days.  I'll have a report and sample images as soon as I get home.   These lenses are light and sharp and as you'll see real performers.  Starting trip home in a few hours.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:03:24 pm »

I was excited about the 12-24 but I've changed my mind about it, it doesn't take filters so I'd really have to ponder it more. In my m43 days the 7-14 (14-28 equiv) didn't take filters and I got by with that but I'd prefer a lens that did. The Sony 10-18 works surprisingly well between 12-16mm as a ff lens and can take filters from 13mm (below 13mm vignetting occurs) so really I should just keep using that with the 16-35.

But from a practical POV having the 12-24 would give me 12-24, 24-70, 70-300, a very useful and full coverage 3 lens set, Hmmmmm
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:42:44 pm »

I have just published an article - preview on the NEW sony 16-35mm G-Master lens that I had the privilege to shoot with this past week. Check it out on the site home page. This is an amazing lens and Sony has added another winner to its G-Master line. The article covers specs, handling, a short video about the lens and a large number of images you can zoom into 100% on to see the quality of the lens. Check it out.    https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-16-35mm-g-master-lens-hands-preview/ .   I'll have a similar preview of the 12-24mm by the end of the weekend.  Both are really nice lenses.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

VincentR

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 12:09:02 pm »

I'm really scratching my head trying to understand where Sony is going with their line. I thought the idea to go mirrorless was to have something lightweight and easy to carry.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 12:53:53 pm »

I'm really scratching my head trying to understand where Sony is going with their line. I thought the idea to go mirrorless was to have something lightweight and easy to carry.
Both of these lenses are half the weight of their DSLR equivalents and in the case of comparing the 16-35 to it's Nikon counterpart, the Nikon lens is only f/4 and this f/2.8 lens is still much lighter.  Alternately you could get the Sony-Zeiss 16-35 f/4 and save even more weight.  And then there is the Loxia 21mm f/2.8 which is much lighter and much smaller but it is manual focus.  There's also the Batis 18mm f/2.8 which is smaller and much lighter.  So there are plenty of lightweight and smaller options in the range.

As for the 12-24, check out the Voigtlander ultra wide trio - those lenses are tiny...

BJL

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 01:04:11 pm »

I thought the idea to go mirrorless was to have something lightweight and easy to carry.
This is a recurring misunderstanding of why people choose EVF cameras.  Yes, the bodies are typically smaller and lighter, so the overall kit can be less bulky if and when that is a priority, but bulk is far from the only motivation for preferring an EVF camera over an OVF one, and it does not rule out there being other times when a fast and therefore bulky lens is needed.

For other reasons besides bulk as to why some people prefer EVF cameras, see any of the many discussions in these forums! (For me, #1 is magnification during manual focusing, #2 is the option to "gain up" the EVF image in low light situations, and in smaller formats like Four Thirds, another is the larger/brighter VF image size possible.)

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 06:13:38 pm »

This is a recurring misunderstanding of why people choose EVF cameras.  Yes, the bodies are typically smaller and lighter, so the overall kit can be less bulky if and when that is a priority, but bulk is far from the only motivation for preferring an EVF camera over an OVF one, and it does not rule out there being other times when a fast and therefore bulky lens is needed.

For other reasons besides bulk as to why some people prefer EVF cameras, see any of the many discussions in these forums! (For me, #1 is magnification during manual focusing, #2 is the option to "gain up" the EVF image in low light situations, and in smaller formats like Four Thirds, another is the larger/brighter VF image size possible.)

This.  So much this.

The categorisation of mirrorless as meaning it must be compact is absurd and clearly demonstrable (c.f. Sony).

Take away the mirrorless aspect of the A7Rii or the A9, and they are still great cameras with great lenses available that will suit a lot of people.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up