Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: X-Rite I1Profiler Update. Vers 1.7.0  (Read 11139 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: X-Rite I1Profiler Update. Vers 1.7.0
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 02:22:21 pm »

What model display?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

howardm

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 02:31:48 pm »

272  w/ 1500 hours or so.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 02:34:09 pm »

OK, wide gamut, so that should be interesting. BTW, it's National Baking Day here in Canada today, so a propos :-)

howardm

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 02:58:24 pm »

gonna take a while.  I'm stacked up over LAX

lhodaniel

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 05:34:09 pm »

I hate to continue the thread hijack, but I will.  :D

I just tried Basiccolor and I agree with Mark's assessment. However, I had numerous lockups after profile creation that required a force quit. Also, it did great on profiles with default (max) monitor contrast. But I tried several times to do a 300:1 CR (softproofing) by specifying WP and CR. The black point was way below what it should have been for 300:1 and the dE's were through the roof. Also, Mark, do you switch profiles? SVII loads the different calibrations somewhere else and leaves single linear profile. Basiccolor seems to bake the calibration settings into separate icc profiles. Have you found this to work well?

Lloyd

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 05:50:08 pm »

gonna take a while.  I'm stacked up over LAX

Safe travels.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 05:53:38 pm »

I hate to continue the thread hijack, but I will.  :D

I just tried Basiccolor and I agree with Mark's assessment. However, I had numerous lockups after profile creation that required a force quit. Also, it did great on profiles with default (max) monitor contrast. But I tried several times to do a 300:1 CR (softproofing) by specifying WP and CR. The black point was way below what it should have been for 300:1 and the dE's were through the roof. Also, Mark, do you switch profiles? SVII loads the different calibrations somewhere else and leaves single linear profile. Basiccolor seems to bake the calibration settings into separate icc profiles. Have you found this to work well?

Lloyd

I've never had a problem with it. I selected my calibration settings, let it make the profile and it is the default profile that loads every day that I start-up the computer. I don't keep any other monitor profiles. If you are having technical problems with it I recommend that you get in touch with them.

Rand47

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 06:28:42 pm »

I have a copy of BasICColor and SV.  I should do a bake-off.

Please do.  I find it mildly depressing to think that NEC provides a non-optimum solution for the American market as opposed to the European market.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 07:41:47 pm »

Please do.  I find it mildly depressing to think that NEC provides a non-optimum solution for the American market as opposed to the European market.

Rand

I don't think that's the intent. The background to this, as I recall it from the time some years ago when I pressed NEC on the issue (so I'm saying what I learned then in the context of the PA271W etc. series, which may or may not be valid information today), is that the product distinction between Germany and the USA is largely a function of marketing. They produced this Reference Series mainly for the German market because they could charge a premium price there for a "certificated" product, but they assured me the panel is identical between the two markets. As for the software, they contend that either the US-Spectraview approach or the German-based BasicColor approach should produce equal quality profiles. Here's the reasoning: The version of Spectraview bundled with the US product made matrix-based profiles and the version bundled with the product for the German market is under-the-hood a version of BasicColor, which makes LUT-based profiles. The matrix basis depends on nine points, while the LUT basis uses some 250. The contention is that if the panel's behaviour is completely linear, either approach should be equally accurate, and it was NEC's view that their panels are completely linear, so the choice between the two software products is a matter of taste. That's where I chose to disagree with them, because BasicColor gave me lower dE from their internal validation procedure than Spectraview did from theirs. So this means one of two things: either my panel is less linear than NEC made out, or BasicColor is just better software. To this day I don't know which, nor was I or am I bothered about it. I just use BasicColor and be done with it. Our North American prices are far below the prices of those Reference Series panels in Germany and the performance of what we buy here is stellar.

Rand47

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 10:11:13 pm »

I don't think that's the intent. The background to this . . .

Mark,

Thanks.  Much appreciated.  I'm not sure I understand exactly the technical things involved, but both my PA 271 & PA 302 calibration results are exceedingly close to target values, and the dE's are always below .5 - from what I've heard and read that seems acceptable.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 07:47:51 am »

Mark,

Thanks.  Much appreciated.  I'm not sure I understand exactly the technical things involved, but both my PA 271 & PA 302 calibration results are exceedingly close to target values, and the dE's are always below .5 - from what I've heard and read that seems acceptable.

Rand

Yes - you're fine - very acceptable.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 11:33:58 am »

I believe ArgylCMS also writes to the LUT and there is a very nice GUI that Florian Hosch has written that makes it easy to use.  https://displaycal.net/

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 11:39:03 am »

I believe ArgylCMS also writes to the LUT and there is a very nice GUI that Florian Hosch has written that makes it easy to use.  https://displaycal.net/

Windows only?

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 11:53:03 am »

Windows only?
Windows, MacOS and Linux are all supported

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2017, 12:51:42 pm »

Thanks.

howardm

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2017, 01:44:17 pm »

I am pretty sure (95% confidence) that Argyll does NOT write to the NEC panel internals.  It just creates a 'regular' profile that drives the graphics card LUT

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 02:56:09 pm »

I am pretty sure (95% confidence) that Argyll does NOT write to the NEC panel internals.  It just creates a 'regular' profile that drives the graphics card LUT
I believe that is correct but the same results are obtainable if one has a good graphics card.

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2017, 11:03:04 pm »

I believe that is correct but the same results are obtainable if one has a good graphics card.

Yes - if there is a high bit depth path from the video card to the display, then the Graphics card per channel LUTs should end up having similar precision to the Display hardware per channel LUTs.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up