Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UK travel restrictions  (Read 8614 times)

Khurram

UK travel restrictions
« on: August 13, 2006, 10:19:54 pm »

I am going to be going to the UK (London) for a business trip from Aug 18 to Sept 2.  I had planned on taking my camera gear with me to do shooting on the weekends.

From the travel advisory i read last week no carry-on was allowed for UK flights.  However, i asked my Amex travel agent on Friday and she said the only restrictions are that no liquids/gels are allowed.  

Before I take anything, I just want to make sure that carry-ons are allowed before taking my gear with me.  Hoping to hear from someone who has flown after the terror threats.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
UK travel restrictions
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 02:25:08 am »

I am going to be going to the UK (London) for a business trip from Aug 18 to Sept 2.  I had planned on taking my camera gear with me to do shooting on the weekends.

From the travel advisory i read last week no carry-on was allowed for UK flights.  However, i asked my Amex travel agent on Friday and she said the only restrictions are that no liquids/gels are allowed. 

Before I take anything, I just want to make sure that carry-ons are allowed before taking my gear with me.  Hoping to hear from someone who has flown after the terror threats.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As of monday (14 August) things are back to normal(ish) - i.e. carry on luggage will be allowed as of 15th Aug , though there are some restrictions. Suggest you check with your airline as to what their policy is as it may idverge from what is published in the news.

The best place to keep up to date on latest policy is the BAA website for the airport which you are flying into/out of.

[a href=\"http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/site/default/menuitem.4517d813aa7e351588a5e186c02865a0/]BAA Website (Heathrow)[/url]
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

john beardsworth

• My photography site
UK travel restrictions
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 02:34:48 am »

Things appear to be changing quickly. Your Amex travel agent told you the rules on flights from the US. You've got to think about the UK rules too. This morning UK hand luggage restrictions were indeed relaxed, but not at Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted, the main London airports. Other airports (most of the UK isn't London) are supposed to be back to normal except for the liquids restriction. Best thing to do is ask again on Aug 17th.

John

Concorde-SST

UK travel restrictions
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 05:00:45 am »

I also suggest you to use a Pelican Case
or something similar just in case you need
to check in your stuff.

If someone is accompanying you to the air-
port, then he/she can take it back should it
not be needed.

I did it so last time and didn´t need. However,
without a VERY good insurance I won´t check
my cameras!

best of luck,

Andreas.

Khurram

UK travel restrictions
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 01:38:28 am »

has anyone traveled to/from the UK since the easing of baggage restrictions for carry-ons??

I will be traveling on Friday and wanted to get an idea what will be allowed.  I just bought a new camera/laptop bag that almost fits the new carry-on requirements (depth is about 1 1/2 inches wider then the 6.2" listed on the BAA website).  I couldn't find anything that was 6.2" in depth that would allow me to fit my 1DMkII N, 24-105L, 16-35L, 70-200L with a laptop.  closest bag in the new allowable dimensions i found was the Tamrac Turbo-Cyber Pro.  

Another question I have is whether a spare battery & the charger for the 1D2N , a spare battery for the laptop, and a visible dust artic butterfly will be allowed to be taken as carry-on items.

I thought about the pelican option, but after reading that since the terror threats they have lost 10,000 bags in the UK, I'm really not to keen on risking checkin in my camera gear.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 02:22:24 am by Khurram »
----

Graham Welland

UK travel restrictions
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 03:48:45 am »

I thought about the pelican option, but after reading that since the terror threats they have lost 10,000 bags in the UK, I'm really not to keen on risking checkin in my camera gear.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73503\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well,, pretty sure that the bags haven't actually been 'lost' ... not even Heathrow's baggage handlers could pilfer that quantity of baggage. 'Mis-directed' or 'huge pile at the airport' might be closer to the truth. I would expect that even the incompetent BAA folks will manage to send those lonely bags on to their owners eventually.

I'm off to Munich via a weekend stop-over at Heathrow on the 25th. Has internal European flight travel recovered yet and can you actually take carry-on aboard again out of Heathrow?

One unexpected side effect of the current restrictions is that domestic US flight travel has suddenly become a dream again (today at least). I did a day commute to my office in San Francisco today from Portland and there were basically no queues, what seemed like 50% of the normal melee of people everywhere, half full overhead bins even in first class - gasp!, and a similar experience returning this evening via the airline cesspool that is SFO. The flights were full as normal but everything is just running like clockwork, just like it did just after 9/11 when everyone was frightened off from air travel domestically.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 03:57:37 am by gwelland »
Graham

john beardsworth

• My photography site
UK travel restrictions
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 03:54:37 am »

Well,, pretty sure that the bags haven't actually been 'lost' ... not even Heathrow's baggage handlers could pilfer that quantity of baggage. 'Mis-directed' or 'huge pile at the airport' might be closer to the truth. I would expect that eventually even the incompetent BAA folks will manage to send those lonely bags on to their owners eventually.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I heard one BAA fellow say the bags aren't lost, they just can't be matched to back their owners. Doesn't that make you feel so much more confident?

It's going to be ridiculous if the UK tries to have different, smaller hand luggage sizes from the rest of the world. BAA are going to have to become less interested in filling terminals with shops and more interested in providing enough space and staff for searching bags properly.

John

Gary Ferguson

• http://
UK travel restrictions
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 05:55:05 am »

BAA are going to have to become less interested in filling terminals with shops and more interested in providing enough space and staff for searching bags properly.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73509\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

BAA stands for Build Another Arcade

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
UK travel restrictions
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 03:22:47 pm »

I travelled from Manchester to Istanbul, via Heathrow today. The small laptop bag that is now allowed would not be enough for a full complement of bodies and lenses. It did easily take my 5D and 24-105 (seperately), battery charger, and a small laptop. It all went very smoothly and my checked in bag even turned up on the bagage carousel!

Khurram

UK travel restrictions
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 08:50:21 pm »

I travelled from Manchester to Istanbul, via Heathrow today. The small laptop bag that is now allowed would not be enough for a full complement of bodies and lenses. It did easily take my 5D and 24-105 (seperately), battery charger, and a small laptop. It all went very smoothly and my checked in bag even turned up on the bagage carousel!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73552\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

were they being real strict on bagage sizes???

I found a bag that ALMOST meets the requirements - the lenght and width are fine, but the depth is around 1.5" to 2" thicker then the limit.
----

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
UK travel restrictions
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 07:35:32 am »

were they being real strict on bagage sizes???

I found a bag that ALMOST meets the requirements - the lenght and width are fine, but the depth is around 1.5" to 2" thicker then the limit.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73581\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
In the information it said they will be strict, so I would not take a chance with that. I did not see them check with a ruler, but mine was clearly within limits.

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
UK travel restrictions
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 08:48:58 pm »

Khurram - flew to Edinburgh from Cardiff on 2 August on BMI Baby (cheapy and notorious for viscious enforcement of regs) using a Lowe Pro Rover - bigger than regs.  Left it strapped to my back and they never asked to weigh it or check it's size.  It was 5.45am which I imagine was in my favour but generally staff don't notice backpacks til it's too late.

RE latest regs, having spoken to Customer Services, no liquids, aerosols, powders, make-up.  Laptops and cameras to be removed and x rayed individually.  Regarding my film (Tri X, some pushed and Delta 3200) - I'll post it.  I pack my Canonet (unloaded) in hold luggage anyhow - no room in the camera bag.

Concorde-SST

UK travel restrictions
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 06:20:01 pm »

please note when travelling inside Europe,
be aware that most airlines really enforce
excess baggage!

Lufthansa charges 10 EUR for any excess
kilogramm of baggage. The maximum for
chicken class is 20kgs.

Just a reminder to my dear american travellers
who almost always have too much baggage :-)

best,

Andreas.

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
UK travel restrictions
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 06:50:34 pm »

Lufthansa charges 10 EUR for any excess
kilogramm of baggage. The maximum for
chicken class is 20kgs.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73807\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I never really understand the excess baggage charge - I typically weigh 20-30Kg more than the lady sat next to me, should I pay an extra 200-300Euro for my ticket?
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
UK travel restrictions
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 07:04:52 pm »

David - maybe not, maybe she should get a refund!

Andreas. Not "all" airlilnes are as bloody-minded about this. Lufthansa and KLM in particular are real vultures on excess baggage and have been as far back as I can remember - which goes back decades. There are others who are less obssessive about it. Just another thing, along with security restrictions and line-ups to factor into which airlines and airports to avoid if possible when traveling. In the current environment it is only passengers voting with their wallets that will bring these folks to their senses.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Concorde-SST

UK travel restrictions
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 03:15:32 am »

Mark,

yes, that might be the case. But as a german who quite
frequently uses LH (partly due to national proudness as stupid
as it might be + partly no other way) I must disagree.
I never had any problems with excess baggage before they
introduced the new regulations (last november). They really
were quite tolerant.

For KLM I agree that they´re really vultures, especially when
flying to Africa from Amsterdam!! Iberia is another matter when
going to South America via Madrid.

Anyway, I think in the very long run hand luggage will be banished.
Its the only way to protect passengers and to put less pressure
on the screening procedures. Its the only thing I see which makes
sense.

Of course business travellers and photographers will be trying
to use alternate methods - train + ship travel will get a bigger
share...

does someone agree??

best,

Andreas.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
UK travel restrictions
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 08:33:41 am »

Andreas, many years ago I had a bitter fight with Lufthansa at Koln, travelling to East Africa with a baby, they were making a fuss about 10 kilos of overweight. It was only after I told them to honour my ticket as far as Frankfurt and I would make other arrangements with another carrier from there that they became sensible. There was another incident since. That is the basis of my comment on Lufthansa, but alot of these things to some extent also depend on the agents one comes accross - some behave differently from others, so different passengers will have different experiences.

I don't believe we need to anticipate an end to cabin baggage. The problem is with the airport authorities. They have known about these threats for enough years to re-equip accordingly, but they haven't done it because it costs money. An American international airline security consultant was interviewed either on BBC or CBC (I forget which) the other day and he outlined in detail how this whole problem could be easily solved with more machinery (two placed at each departure gate) that can detect everything that needs to be detected and would only cost a couple of dollars tacked on to each ticket. The problem is getting the airport authorities and airlines to actually implement it. It seems the impact of all this terrosim on passengers, much as terrorism remains the root cause, may well be due to poor management in the airline industry.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Khurram

UK travel restrictions
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 12:06:25 pm »

Khurram - flew to Edinburgh from Cardiff on 2 August on BMI Baby (cheapy and notorious for viscious enforcement of regs) using a Lowe Pro Rover - bigger than regs.  Left it strapped to my back and they never asked to weigh it or check it's size.  It was 5.45am which I imagine was in my favour but generally staff don't notice backpacks til it's too late.

RE latest regs, having spoken to Customer Services, no liquids, aerosols, powders, make-up.  Laptops and cameras to be removed and x rayed individually.  Regarding my film (Tri X, some pushed and Delta 3200) - I'll post it.  I pack my Canonet (unloaded) in hold luggage anyhow - no room in the camera bag.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73723\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks for letting me know you managed to get through with your Lowe Pro Rover.  I managed to get into London ok, so hopefully, i won't have a problem on the way out.  i'm planning on spending a weekend in Paris, but have decided to take the train rather then flying, even though it is a bit more pricier and takes a bit longer - but should be much less of a headache!!
----
Pages: [1]   Go Up