Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: causeway breaker  (Read 1020 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
causeway breaker
« on: May 13, 2017, 02:33:59 pm »

Comments?

Jeremy

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: causeway breaker
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 09:04:23 pm »

The top ~20% doesn't do much for me, but I quite like the rest.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 09:58:00 am »

Great contrast of brilliant blue and subdued rock; dynamic, fluid wave and sedentary, solid rock, seemingly standing at attention against the onslaught of the sea.

The dynamic in the scene, though, is all in the lower left quadrat. I find my eye wandering out to the right or up to the top as there is nothing to "contain" my gaze or pull me back around to the left.

I also imagine there is more going on just out of the resume to the left.

I took the liberty of applying a simple crop hoping you might have another frame of similar composition.
If I was working in LR, I would have added a grad mask of -0.5 to -1 from the bottom right on an angle approximately parallel to the sloping top of the basalt.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 02:34:03 pm »

Again, Terry, you have seen exactly what I was trying to convey. There's not much going on to the left of the shot, in fact: there's a small bay and the waves don't break until rather further in.

I think removing some of the sky, as you and David suggest, is a Good Thing. I'll look at darkening the lower right: I liked the light, but maybe it's because that was the first sunshine we'd had in a good few days.

Jeremy

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 08:03:18 pm »

I get what Terry is suggesting about the lower-right to mid-frame diagonal and I think it would be an aesthetic choice. I might apply some increased mid-tone contrast to the rocks, but his crop brings that wave and the rocks right into your face; that's a good thing in my book :) Beautiful, powerful wave, stunning rocks and a wonderful sense of anticipation, I think. Please share your final on this lovely and very interesting image.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 02:08:19 pm »

Well, gentlemen, after considering your advice this is what I've ended up with. It's a better shot. Thank you.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up