Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Escargot  (Read 1288 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Escargot
« on: May 13, 2017, 09:03:53 am »

Purple Gallinule taken in NW Florida. This waterfowl is born with feet that are already adult sized in both stature and strength. The shell to the left was the former home of this morning's dinner, the Apple Snail.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Escargot
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 09:51:01 am »

Nice!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RMW

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 10:39:44 am »

NICE INDEED ! And glad to see an invasive species be a meal for a local and gorgeous one. Richard

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 10:47:31 am »

NICE INDEED ! And glad to see an invasive species be a meal for a local and gorgeous one. Richard

I have always been surprised given this location that we do not also have Limpkins or even Snail Kites. My guess is that the snail are more often deposited further out into the lake where the water is significantly deeper. The Galinules, like the Limpkins keep this invasive species at bay by consuming them in great quantities.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Larry Heath

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 09:53:06 am »

Those Limpkins are a good thing bad thing situation, yes they eat the apple snails by the boatload, but GOD ALMIGHTY the damn things are obnoxiously NOISY! Morning noon and night the damn things are squawking and it’s not at all a pleasant sound. I can see exactly where they could get themselves shot quite easily with the racket they make. The damn things seem to do it year round, not just mating season or some such. There is a canal near where I live, well its about ¼ mile away from the house, that has lots of apple snails and a pair of resident Limpkins. During the winter when we have the windows open, at night I rather frequently am awakened at 2 or 3 in the morning by those damn birds honking at one another, from a ¼ mile away no less. So I can easily imagine the people that live on the canal are even more put out by all the constant caterwauling at O dark 30 in the morning.

Ought to call them damn things Resurrection Birds, the damn things make enough noise to raise the dead.

So yeah, I’m not a big fan of Limpkins.

Oh, nice shot by the way.

Later Larry

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 12:27:09 pm »

Sharp, colourful and informative.
Pages: [1]   Go Up