Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Select by ... filename list - awesome :-)  (Read 6518 times)

jeremyrh

Select by ... filename list - awesome :-)
« on: May 11, 2017, 03:49:57 am »

By chance I came across David Grover's video on ranking and culling, in which he describes the use of the "select by filename list" functionality. Serendipitously I had just received a mail from a client with a list of her selects, and I was not looking forward to doing what I had done the weekend before, and clicking and dragging individual files into a selects album, with the attendant risk of errors.

The more I use C1, the closer Lr gets to the Trash !!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Select by ... filename list - awesome :-)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 06:13:40 am »

By chance I came across David Grover's video on ranking and culling, in which he describes the use of the "select by filename list" functionality. Serendipitously I had just received a mail from a client with a list of her selects, and I was not looking forward to doing what I had done the weekend before, and clicking and dragging individual files into a selects album, with the attendant risk of errors.

Lightroom's only had that capability since smart collections were introduced, Jeremy, back in 2009....

jeremyrh

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 06:36:06 am »

Lightroom's only had that capability since smart collections were introduced, Jeremy, back in 2009....

:-)  I suspected I was setting myself up for something there ...

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 06:54:33 am »

:-)  I suspected I was setting myself up for something there ...

The equivalent of trolley rage at Sainsburys ;)

jeremyrh

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 08:05:31 am »

The equivalent of trolley rage at Sainsburys ;)
You've seen me shopping, then  :-[

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 02:26:02 pm »

Glad to hear it Jeremy!

And John - if you want to start making lists of all the stuff Lightroom doesn't have, then we can do that of course.  ;)
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 04:07:18 pm »

Just be very careful with false claims about it....

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 12:52:35 am »

- if you want to start making lists of all the stuff Lightroom doesn't have, then we can do that of course.  ;)

I'm a Lightroom user - and I can do that all by myself, thank you very much!  :P
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

• Capture One
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 02:27:44 am »

Ok, first of all I am extremely diligent about 'claims' made for Capture One. (Would prefer to use the term facts to be honest).  And if I am wrong I am more than happy to be corrected.

The Select By Filename list is an incredibly useful feature.  Hence being added to Capture One - I am sure our customers would prefer to have it than not, regardless if Lightroom has a slightly less sophisticated version of it.

Its incredibly flexible in that File Name delimiters can be a New Line, Comma, Space or SemiColon and file name extensions can be ignored.
David Grover

Jeff

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 04:20:31 am »

My latest version of Lightroom is 5.7.1  ( 2014 ) and I am not aware of a feature to Select By Filename List, whether typed in or cut & pasted into a dialogue box.

Just wondering where it is  ?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 04:28:34 am »

I'm sure it will be popular with some users, David - if they ever find it in C1's labyrinthine menus. It's just a tool for a limited task versus a Lightroom tool that's more adaptable and part of its more powerful filtering system.

Jeff, smart collections and the text box in Library Filter....

jeremyrh

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 04:38:41 am »

That was my #fakenews - can't blame David for it :-)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 04:52:38 am »

That was my #fakenews - can't blame David for it :-)

No, I don't. The posts on P1's blog need a bit more care though when they shoehorn in yet another "I never did this before in Lightroom". Having used a Fuji for 6 months, I often find myself thinking "I would never have done this on my Nikon" - it's natural enough, but more a psychological thing than a reality.

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 05:46:43 am »

Far be it for me to get in the middle of a budding 'discrepancy'...  So I will. :)

Actually that feature was extremely easy to find in the C1 trial.  I never knew about such a feature in LR until now..  I was first looking in LR's "Edit" menu and didn't find it.  In C1, it's right there, and far more flexible.  I could see this being quite useful in client-type situations exactly like the OP describes.  But that ties directly into C1's strength in regards to it's renowned tethering capability in a studio for likely portrait photography.
I had to google about LR being able to do this..  In a million years, I would have never figured that the small, tiny 1-line text boxes could accept hundreds of words/filenames.

Myself being only interested in landscape and art-type photography, whom will likely never have direct clients, will likely never find it that useful.  But for portrait photographers I could see it being used almost daily (but I gather that's what John probably had in mind about 'limited task').

Although points taken in regards to the otherwise labyrinthine menus, and C1/Phase1's over-the-top hyping & marketing - and about LR's far more powerful DAM features.

Each software could certainly take note of each other though, IMO..  C1 'choking' on a mere ~3000 image library when moving around in folders and collections, and not understanding DNG spec (LR's HDR/Pano merged DNG's, for instance).  And LR could take note of C1's color editor, and including levels/curves AND the color editor in local adjustments.  ...  Well.. this could get long on both sides.  ;D
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

• Capture One
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 07:58:28 am »

Far be it for me to get in the middle of a budding 'discrepancy'...  So I will. :)

Actually that feature was extremely easy to find in the C1 trial.  I never knew about such a feature in LR until now..  I was first looking in LR's "Edit" menu and didn't find it.  In C1, it's right there, and far more flexible.  I could see this being quite useful in client-type situations exactly like the OP describes.  But that ties directly into C1's strength in regards to it's renowned tethering capability in a studio for likely portrait photography.
I had to google about LR being able to do this..  In a million years, I would have never figured that the small, tiny 1-line text boxes could accept hundreds of words/filenames.

Myself being only interested in landscape and art-type photography, whom will likely never have direct clients, will likely never find it that useful.  But for portrait photographers I could see it being used almost daily (but I gather that's what John probably had in mind about 'limited task').

Although points taken in regards to the otherwise labyrinthine menus, and C1/Phase1's over-the-top hyping & marketing - and about LR's far more powerful DAM features.

Each software could certainly take note of each other though, IMO..  C1 'choking' on a mere ~3000 image library when moving around in folders and collections, and not understanding DNG spec (LR's HDR/Pano merged DNG's, for instance).  And LR could take note of C1's color editor, and including levels/curves AND the color editor in local adjustments.  ...  Well.. this could get long on both sides.  ;D

Good points Hoggy. 

We can certainly learn from each other (the applications) but I think if you look at the developments in Capture One since 2012 we are certainly making big strides.

Wether thats the same for Lightroom, I don't really know, more to the point I am more concerned with my own product rather than poking about on Lightroom forums and wagging my finger at the customer base there.

As for blog.phaseone.com and posts regarding Lightroom, they are written by end users themselves, and I don't think they would write anything they could not back up personally,  They have also been honest about Capture One's shortcomings.

Also they respond in the comments section themselves - http://blog.phaseone.com/fast-track-guide-lightroom-capture-one-pro/

David Grover

jeremyrh

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 09:33:20 am »

Wish I'd never mentioned it now ...  :-X

but ..

David - now I have your attention ...

can I ask you to explain what is in the adjustments clipboard, and what will be transferred if you use the "double arrow", either in normal mode (in which you get a little menu, so I guess you can choose) or in "direct" mode with a modifier key to suppress the menu?

Tusind tak !

• Capture One
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 11:27:07 am »

Wish I'd never mentioned it now ...  :-X

but ..

David - now I have your attention ...

can I ask you to explain what is in the adjustments clipboard, and what will be transferred if you use the "double arrow", either in normal mode (in which you get a little menu, so I guess you can choose) or in "direct" mode with a modifier key to suppress the menu?

Tusind tak !

Ha ha.  :)

I think you've answered your own question.

If you alt-click you suppress the dialog and copy paste the modified adjustment from the primary select to the remaining selects.  If you don't Alt click and just click you get the choice of what exactly you want copied across.  I.e a tool that has multiple sliders means you can choose exactly what you want to copy paste.

David Grover

jeremyrh

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 11:40:04 am »

Ha ha.  :)

I think you've answered your own question.

If you alt-click you suppress the dialog and copy paste the modified adjustment from the primary select to the remaining selects.  If you don't Alt click and just click you get the choice of what exactly you want copied across.  I.e a tool that has multiple sliders means you can choose exactly what you want to copy paste.
Yeah but do you copy ALL of the adjustments, including e.g. crop?

• Capture One
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 01:48:04 pm »

Yeah but do you copy ALL of the adjustments, including e.g. crop?

If you're talking about the up down arrow in each tool then it will only copy for that tool.
David Grover

jeremyrh

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 03:32:55 pm »

If you're talking about the up down arrow in each tool then it will only copy for that tool.
I'm talking about the "global" one in the main toolbar.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up