Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson networked printer falling of line  (Read 1459 times)

Larry Heath

Epson networked printer falling of line
« on: May 09, 2017, 12:40:51 pm »

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a problem with regard to my Epson 9880. This is a network attached printer and there in lay the rub. Normally the printer works flawlessly for printing, just every so often it falls off the network and nothing short of physically going to the printer and turning it off and back on will get the thing to talk to the network. This is not a consistent thing sometimes it will go weeks with no problems then it will have a spate of 3 or 4 drop offs in a 5 day period. The printer is normally left on 24/7 and is supplied with power by a large enterprise grade UPS so I am pretty sure this is not a power/transient issue. Likewise all the other network elements are not subject to power outages or transients, all are battery backed. All the other HP/Lexmark/Epson network printers don’t ever suffer this problem.

I have and use the Epson Net Utility, which will see the printer when it has fallen off line but nothing it or any other program does will get any response from it. I have tried pinging the printer from the router utilities with no response, and on and on and on. The LED’s seem to show activity as well.

So once it drops out a hard reset is the only option, which is not a big deal, just an irritation that I feel the need to scratch at.

So does anyone out in the wider world have any insight or expertise in Epson networked printers that might shine some light on this?

Thanks Larry

rasworth

Re: Epson networked printer falling of line
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 01:11:34 pm »

I have found network attached printers are more reliable (in terms of connection) if they have a fixed ip instead of using a dynamic address via DHCP at the router.  You can change to a static ip using the menu facility at the printer (my experience is with a 3880), it helps to be familiar with your router and pick one that is NOT in the DHCP range.  You will also have to change the printer properties port configuration to a standard tcp/ip type with the same address.

Richard Southworth

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 05:56:57 pm »

Fixed IP is a good idea.  Also, when it falls off, try pinging that IP address.  It could be that something else on your network is using it.
Phil Brown

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 07:15:01 pm »

Larry, there are two other very recent posts here on network problems with Epson printers. The best solution is to not network the printer if you can avoid it. Even things that should work sometimes don't. You can spend your life trying to fix them or move on.
If you must use a network then don't use Wifi and do set the IP address on the printer control panel.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

howardm

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 09:36:18 am »

certainly sounds like your DHCP 'lease' is expiring.

As others mention, either set a fully static IP address in the printer and operating system or put the MAC address into the router and give the printer a 'reservation'  (maps the printer's MAC address to a specific IP address)

Larry Heath

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 12:25:31 pm »

Sorry for the delay, Thanks all for your responses. I've gone to static I.P. in the router but have not set the I.P. on the printer yet. Thats next.

Thanks again.
Larry

Larry Heath

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 07:24:00 pm »

So I’ve discovered there appears to be more than one place, and one way, to turn on the network communication functions in the 9880 printer. Epson is less than clear on this even in the service manual.

So after having finely burrowing down into the network setting from the printer control panel I discovered that indeed the correct ip addresses and subnet mask were exactly what they should be. How they got that way; damned if I know. Problem seems to have been it wasn’t turned on.

First thing that I didn’t get was you have to turn on network setup, back out, and then go back in and at that point you can get to the (hidden?) network menus/settings you can’t see the first time through.
Next I didn’t figure I need Apple’s Bonjour Service running; don’t know what it really does save muck about with network setting and maybe screw things up; could this be the source of many network problems? So it’s turned off. I don’t do Apple; don’t like Apple, at all, period! The only Apples I like are Red Delicious!

So, at this point everything seems to be working quite nicely, thanks for the pointers all.  All the other printers seem to be working quite happily without changes and maybe its wishful thinking on my part, but the whole network, computers, servers, printers etc. seem to be a good bit more responsive. Hell I even seem to have managed to figure out how to make the damn printer stop doing constant auto cleans to the tune of anywhere between 3cc to 30cc of ink (apparently it cycles through four levels of auto clean) every time I look at it, even sideways.

So once again thanks for the pointers.

Later Larry

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 10:45:17 pm »

Glad it's working now!

Yeah, the network settings are hidden until you say you want to change them to prevent accidental changes by just browsing.  You were right to turn off Bonjour - you don't need it for your environment.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up