Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Magnolia  (Read 2812 times)

Krug

Magnolia
« on: May 07, 2017, 07:14:32 pm »

Our large Magnolia tree is just breaking into bloom - especially welcome as last year there were no blooms whatever due to a late ice storm which coated all of the buds with a quarter inch and killed all - this year it seems to be compensating with what promises to be an extraordinary show.
Overall it is beautiful but the soft sculptural shapes often get overlooked in the bigger picture ... and I often think that monochrome flowers show the structure and subtlety of their shapes to particular advantage.

Any thoughts ?
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Magnolia
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 04:56:23 am »

I like the subtle tones, but find the focus a bit off on the largest petal?

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 07:43:03 am »

I like it. The high key lighting is very effective, and the oof petal isn't a problem for me.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Krug

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 08:51:51 am »

Thank you both for your comments.
Yes of course you are right Paulo about the focus - however I needed the delineation a bit further back to emphasize the "sculptural shapes" that I wanted for the whole composition but I also wanted the overall soft focus - so something had to go.
There may well have been a better solution to that issue but I didn't find one at the time ... suggestions welcomed.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

francois

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:54:39 am »

I also like it and the high-key exposure but would like to see the petal in focus; for me, it would be better. Now, to be fair, I always struggle with the same OOF issues and most of my flower photos are like yours.
Francois

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 06:52:45 pm »

I'm with Paulo on this. If it's just a quick view, ad-type shot with, perhaps, text in the large petal - it's perfect. But if you plan to hang it on the wall, that OOF portion just seems too obvious in all but a small print.

Solution: focus forward more and/or use a smaller aperture or use focus-stacking.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Krug

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 08:26:45 pm »

Thanks for the comments and interest ... I hope not to bore but I think this question of focus and its effect on the overall image is interesting and perhaps can bear a little more discussion. I hope that I do not need to say that I am not being defensive in the least but just interested in differing perceptions of experienced practitioners.

Below is another image taken at the same time - though the light was changing a little and the processing was aimed at a slightly different effect ... in this the front petal is slightly more in focus just showing its' matte surface and tinted veining.

I wonder - to your eyes - in what ways this changes the impression given by the image ?  Does the overall 'quality/nature' of the subject lose/gain anything because of the greater clarity of the front petal ?
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 08:10:56 pm »

Below is another image taken at the same time - though the light was changing a little and the processing was aimed at a slightly different effect ... in this the front petal is slightly more in focus just showing its' matte surface and tinted veining.

I wonder - to your eyes - in what ways this changes the impression given by the image ?  Does the overall 'quality/nature' of the subject lose/gain anything because of the greater clarity of the front petal ?

I much prefer this second version. To my eyes, it appears "finished" while the first appears slightly, dare I say, careless in its execution, specifically because the front of the petal is OOF. It's not "wrong", just less than ideal.

The second version also appears more three-dimensional as the roundness of that nearer petal is more apparent. BTW I much prefer the subtle contrast in the processing this second version, as well. It has a softness to it that complements the flower. Beautiful work!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 09:39:24 pm »

I agree with Terry. The second one works better for me, for just the same reasons.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 03:36:11 am »

I too prefer the second one, but both are very grainy. Is that intentional? It seems in conflict with the softness of the petals.

Jeremy

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 04:11:26 am »

I agree with Terry. The second one works better for me, for just the same reasons.

For me too.

francois

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 05:05:37 am »

For me too.

Add me to the list of those voting for #2. A better image!
Francois

Krug

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 08:09:46 am »

A big thank you for these comments and comparisons from a number of people whose work I admire and whose opinions I respect. For me the whole point of posting is to get alternative and informed comment - one often gets too close to the trees to see the wood and needs the corrective of outside views. Thanks.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 10:24:51 pm »

Simple and sweet IMO - but then I'm not an expert on Macro.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up