Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 10.1 User Styles Issue  (Read 2943 times)

Jens Peermann

C1 10.1 User Styles Issue
« on: May 06, 2017, 07:04:51 am »

When applying a user style, the image I want to apply the style to moves into a different smart collection. I have to search the other smart collections to find it, and then I see that the color label has been changed on the image, which caused it to move into the collection associated with that new color.

After bringing the image back into the collection it is supposed in, the style I choose for it may or may not be attached. If it is not attached, I have to assign it again, which moves the image into a different collection again, not necessarily the same one it moved to before, because the color label changed to a different color than it did the first time. This cycle can repeat for a while until the style is finally attached and the image back in the collection it is supposed to be.

Also, the interface for the style tool has changed. The menu for the user styles is no longer a pop-up, but fixed in the sidebar, which takes up more space and pushes a couple of other tools in that sidebar off the screen.

I cannot see any improvement over the last version of the user style tool, only an annoying disruption of my workflow. I don't feel encouraged to explore this new version of C1 any further and re-installed version 10.02.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: C1 10.1 User Styles Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 07:38:57 am »

Also, the interface for the style tool has changed. The menu for the user styles is no longer a pop-up, but fixed in the sidebar, which takes up more space and pushes a couple of other tools in that sidebar off the screen.

Hi Jens,

You have user control over what appears where in the user interface, so you can move or remove the Styles controls.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Jens Peermann

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 08:22:56 am »

Hi Jens,

You have user control over what appears where in the user interface, so you can move or remove the Styles controls.

Cheers,
Bart

Thanks for your input, Bart.

Unfortunately, removing the style controls is not an option. After all, I need them. I can collapse this tool after I am done with it, which means I will have to do manually what used to happen automatically (pop-up). That's why I am wondering where the improvement is.

AndyS

• http://www.astannard.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 01:32:25 pm »

Hi,

I think the intent of the new interface is that long lists of styles, particularly nested ones, no longer appear over the top of the image - which could sometimes be an issue depending upon which part of an image they covered. I personally prefer it, but can understand your reasoning for preferring the old approach.

However, if you right-click on the toolbar at the top and click 'customise' you can drag a 'styles' button to your toolbar. Clicking on this will then bring up the styles as a pop-up, with similar behaviour as the previous interface.

I'm running on Windows 10 and don't see the issue with user styles changing colour labels.

Hope this helps,
Andy.

Jens Peermann

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 05:30:26 pm »

Hi,

However, if you right-click on the toolbar at the top and click 'customise' you can drag a 'styles' button to your toolbar. Clicking on this will then bring up the styles as a pop-up, with similar behaviour as the previous interface.

Thanks for the advise to install the styles button into the toolbar, Andy. That will help. The real problem, however, is the color label change. I am running OS X 10.12.4, but I don't think the OS is a factor. It might be something I have installed on my machine and it will be a nightmare to locate and identify it.

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 05:37:56 pm »

The real problem, however, is the color label change.

So, the preset does not have a color label change as a part of it? C1 is randomly changing the color label? Or is it something else?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Jens Peermann

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 07:28:45 am »

So, the preset does not have a color label change as a part of it? C1 is randomly changing the color label? Or is it something else?

Actually, it was exactly that. Last night I re-installed C1 10.1 and placed the Style Tool into the toolbar. I applied styles to a few images and everything went well. So I thought that placing the style tool into the bar also took care of the color tag change, until I used a different style and the color tag changed again. That's when I started to suspect that some of the styles I use may have the color tag value that was used at the time they were saved and looked at the setting of all my styles. I found three that indeed had the color label box checked. I unchecked that box and saved them again. Everything's fine now.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 08:17:35 am »

Everything's fine now.

Good deal.

The more I use v10.1, the more I like it. I'm actively moving away from Lr now. Next up will be Photoshop to Affinity Photo. And then canceling my Adobe CC for Photographers subscription.
Bob Rockefeller

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 09:22:10 am »

Good deal.

The more I use v10.1, the more I like it. I'm actively moving away from Lr now. Next up will be Photoshop to Affinity Photo. And then canceling my Adobe CC for Photographers subscription.

THIS!!

Jens Peermann

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 09:48:49 am »

Good deal.

I'm actively moving away from Lr now. Next up will be Photoshop to Affinity Photo. And then canceling my Adobe CC for Photographers subscription.

I completely committed to C1 for RAW conversions about 2.5 years ago, after switching from Canon to Sony. However, I still use LR for asset management because of its close integration with other Adobe applications and - mostly - because over the years I have grown a very complex keyword list that would be very difficult - if not impossible - to re-create in C1. Also, dumping Adobe is not an option for me. I am a graphic designer and Adobe CC is the industry standard. Attempting to submit work created in non-Adobe applications is trying the gods.

jeremyrh

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 11:19:21 am »

I am thinking along the same lines. How does Affinity compare with Pixelmator?

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 11:29:58 am »

I am thinking along the same lines. How does Affinity compare with Pixelmator?

I find that Affinity Photo is much more powerful than Pixelmator; it's a very close match to Photoshop.
Bob Rockefeller
Pages: [1]   Go Up