Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H5D-50 Long Exposures  (Read 6853 times)

BobRoss

Hasselblad H5D-50 Long Exposures
« on: May 06, 2017, 12:32:50 am »

The H5D-50 has a maximum exposure of 120 seconds, I was hoping someone here would be so kind to post some examples of this for me as I can't seem to find any online.

Cheers!

voidshatter

Re: Hasselblad H5D-50 Long Exposures
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 03:26:03 am »

Get a CMOS back for this.

BobRoss

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 05:07:56 am »

Get a CMOS back for this.

I'm looking for a CCD back, thanks for the suggestion though.

rxchaos

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 11:21:39 am »

The H5D-50 has a maximum exposure of 120 seconds, I was hoping someone here would be so kind to post some examples of this for me as I can't seem to find any online.

Cheers!

I had a H5D-50 and did some long exposures (90-120seconds). Here's an image that was taken with that camera and a HC35mm lens. I think the exposure was close to 120seconds.  At that time any exposure over 30 seconds would be recorded as 37seconds in the metadata.  This was fixed in a subsequent firmware release.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 02:29:26 pm »

I'm obviously biased, but if you're looking for CCD and long exposure is important to you I would think Phase One would be at the top of your list.

The P30+, P45+, and IQ260 and IQ360 and IQ380 are extremely adept at long exposures compared to any other CCD backs and can be purchased as a refurbished digital back in near perfect condition with factory warranty and dealer support.

More here: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/44539-phase-one-iq260-long-exposure-sample-files.html

voidshatter

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 07:36:16 pm »

I'm looking for a CCD back, thanks for the suggestion though.

It's your money so I have no right to decide it for you, but just in case you wanted to read my nagging:

a) CCD needs to rely on darkframe noise reduction for long exposure (i.e. you need to wait for N seconds after each long exposure of N seconds), which is a deal-breaker for sunset/sunrise;

b) CCD has low dynamic range during long exposure;

c) CCD may run into tiling issues during long exposure;

d) Fullframe CCD (e.g. IQ260, IQ380) has corner issues during long exposure.

To be honest you get way better real-world end-results with a Nikon D800E than CCD digital backs.

Joe Towner

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 11:00:53 pm »

The 50mp CCD can go up to 2 minutes, but really, it's not it's strong point.  Things like ambient air temp, number of consecutive shots and such all play into how that file looks.  Do you own the camera yet or is this part of your decision making process?

The -50c does 34 minutes and doesn't do the black frame.
t: @PNWMF

landscapephoto

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 09:17:57 am »

After reading this thread I decided to give it a try on my ancient H4D-50. However, because I don't have a subject which is dark enough, I simply took a picture with the lens cap on.

The facts:
-the maximum picture time is 2min and 8s (or 128s).
-there is no dark frame time, you can shoot another picture right after the first one.
-when opened in Phocus, the picture is simply black, possibly with one or 2 hot pixels (they disappear when zooming in)
-if I increase exposure and brightness to the max in Phocus, I see a little bit of amp glow on the top left part, that is the file which is attached.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:45:24 am by landscapephoto »

landscapephoto

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 09:53:49 am »

After I posted the message above, I recalled that I had a x1000 ND filter of dubious Chinese origin that I had never tried. With it, I could easily match an exposure time of 128s. So I prepared a test subject: color checker, its wrapping, some text and a piece of denim fabric.

One exposure (without filter) was taken at f/8, 1/10s. The other one (with filter) is taken at f/8, 128s. Daylight (overcast day, coming out of the window). Camera is H4D-50. Possibly, there is a slight defocus with the filter (I focus without the filter and then added it, it is too dark to focus with the filter on).

Post treatment: files open in focus, slight raise of exposure on the 1/10s to match the other (+0.3 ev), on both files white balance on the grey patch of the color checker.

The amusing part is that you'll have to find out which is which.

First, the complete scene, then a detail.

BobRoss

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 12:58:48 pm »

The amusing part is that you'll have to find out which is which.

Fantastic reply, landscapephoto, thanks so much!!

I would go to guess the second one is the long exposure.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:05:26 am by BobRoss »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 01:05:21 pm »

It's your money so I have no right to decide it for you, but just in case you wanted to read my nagging:

a) CCD needs to rely on darkframe noise reduction for long exposure (i.e. you need to wait for N seconds after each long exposure of N seconds), which is a deal-breaker for sunset/sunrise;

To be honest you get way better real-world end-results with a Nikon D800E than CCD digital backs.

This is wrong. The Hasselblad does not need a darkframe reduction which is one of its strong selling arguments for longer exposures. Ah, I see someone else already mentioned that...

Joe Towner

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 11:12:14 pm »

After reading this thread I decided to give it a try on my ancient H4D-50...

It's not ancient, it's a purist to the origins of digital medium format.  ;D  Took mine out for a road trip today, I've missed her.
t: @PNWMF

BobRoss

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 12:00:09 am »

It's not ancient, it's a purist to the origins of digital medium format.  ;D  Took mine out for a road trip today, I've missed her.

That's what I was thinking!

landscapephoto

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 05:43:59 pm »

It certainly works very well and I am not replacing mine, but it was announced in 2009, almost 8 years ago.

landscapephoto

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 05:48:09 pm »

I would go to guess the second one is the long exposure.

Indeed it is. Quite frankly, I can't tell them apart in Phocus.

I can't tell them apart in Phocus, but when I use OS X embedded "Preview" to look at the raw file, there is a difference. On the long exposure, I quickly see hot pixels before they are removed. The hot pixel removal operation takes a bit longer in Preview than in Phocus where it is apparently instantaneous. I managed to quickly make a screen copy before the hot pixels are removed:

BobRoss

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 08:32:09 pm »

Indeed it is. Quite frankly, I can't tell them apart in Phocus.

I can't tell them apart in Phocus, but when I use OS X embedded "Preview" to look at the raw file, there is a difference. On the long exposure, I quickly see hot pixels before they are removed. The hot pixel removal operation takes a bit longer in Preview than in Phocus where it is apparently instantaneous. I managed to quickly make a screen copy before the hot pixels are removed:

If as you say they are removed then I see no issue. I look forward to testing the camera out myself at some point, it's either that or the 40 which can handle longer exposures but I would rather the larger sensor - 2 minutes after all is admirable. Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:07:19 am by BobRoss »

tcdeveau

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 12:01:31 pm »

If as you say they are removed then I see no issue. I look forward to testing the camera out myself at some point, it's either that or the 40 which can handle longer exposures but I would rather the larger sensor - 2 minutes after all is admirable. Thanks for your help!

FWIW I loved my H4D-40 for long exposures.  I would anticipate the H5D-50 to perform just as well.  If you're after landscapes, the larger sensor of the 50 would have less of a crop factor compared to FF MF than the 40, which may be nice despite the shorter exposure times.

BobRoss

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 01:15:05 am »

FWIW I loved my H4D-40 for long exposures.  I would anticipate the H5D-50 to perform just as well.  If you're after landscapes, the larger sensor of the 50 would have less of a crop factor compared to FF MF than the 40, which may be nice despite the shorter exposure times.

Thanks for your input, tcdeveau. What was your experience with noise in long exposures?

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 10:44:42 am »

The advantages of the H5D-50 over the Phase One CCD's are it's ability to use it with a wider selection of technical camera wide angle lenses while using large camera shift and the fact you can shoot without a dark frame. I suppose the question is how do you shoot. Does 2 minutes qualify as long enough? Would a dark frame suit your workflow. It doesn't suit mine.

I have used a H4D-50 for a loan period with a huge amount of shift and up to 2 minutes without any issues. If you don't use a technical camera than it's down to the dark frame versus 2 minute argument.

Pages: [1]   Go Up