Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New iPhone 7, cannot import pictures into LR CC  (Read 3023 times)

Adele

New iPhone 7, cannot import pictures into LR CC
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:35:06 pm »

New iPhone 7, cannot import pictures into LR CC on an Mac running OSX 10.11.6. Pictures can be imported fine from an iPhone 6. With iPhone 7, get some import previews, others say no preview available. Image files are jpg, png and some movies. Press import, the bar in the main screen moves a small portion of the way across, and then stops. Nothing happens, nothing imported. Tried closing and reopening LR, restarting the system, changing cables, nothing works. It is possible to import the images into the Apple Photos app and then export them to LR, but that is very time consuming. Any thoughts on a solution? Have not yet tried Image Capture but would prefer to go straight to LR. Would an upgrade to Sierra solve the issue? Many thanks for your thoughts!

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
Re: New iPhone 7, cannot import pictures into LR CC
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 08:04:48 am »

I am not aware of all the ways this can be done, but what I have done is use Airdrop to move the files from my phone to a folder on my desktop and then import to Lr from that folder (moving the images to a new folder in my pictures folder where all my images reside).
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 09:35:34 am »

One Option: Using Lightroom for mobile and setting it to Auto Add Photos and they will sync with your Lightroom CC automatically. There is never any need to hook up a phone to your computer any longer.

I will locate a system with the older OS and test some imports with direct cabling to see if I have the same issue you are seeing.
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

Adele

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 10:42:03 am »

Rickk, Very much appreciate your testing.  Looking forward to the results - do you think an upgrade to Sierra would solve the issue?  LR Mobile a possibility, but there are a lot of images and it is taking a while to sync.   Also, once imported with LR Mobile, they still need to be moved into the proper places in the library (am I missing something here?)

Jeffrey, Thanks for that suggestion.  I will see how long it takes to move the files (there are a lot of them) - and also a second step to move.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 10:52:51 am »

Also, once imported with LR Mobile, they still need to be moved into the proper places in the library (am I missing something here?)

In Preferences, LrMobile, you can set the folder where these pictures will arrive. Also possible by right clicking a folder. So, unless you have a non-standard folder structure, you can automatically import mobile pictures into the same folder system as other images.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 10:54:53 am »

You're welcome, Adele.  Perhaps I should have added that I don't use the mobile app or syncing, so if those are a given for you, then my approach obviously won't be what you want.

Your reply got me thinking about my own workflow, and I suppose you could airdrop from your phone directly to the "final" folder where they will reside instead of to your desktop, then just add them to the Lr catalogue without moving them.  I don't know how I came to have the habit of airdropping to a new folder on my desktop before moving the files to their final location when I do the Lr import.  I need to think about that; perhaps I've been wasting a step.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 12:53:08 pm »

Rickk, Very much appreciate your testing.  Looking forward to the results - do you think an upgrade to Sierra would solve the issue?  LR Mobile a possibility, but there are a lot of images and it is taking a while to sync.   Also, once imported with LR Mobile, they still need to be moved into the proper places in the library (am I missing something here?)

I did a couple of test imports, Adele. Lightroom CC2015.10 on OSx 10.12.4 (Sierra) with an iPhone 7 Plus and all the images worked fine, JPEGs, PNGs, movies and raw captures.  I can't say whether a Sierra upgrade will cure your problem. Is there anything holding you back upgrading?
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 01:54:41 pm »

Could it be that you are already using LrMobile and it is syncing the files. So maybe many of them are already imported, which is preventing them being imported again directly from the phone?

Adele

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 08:57:18 pm »

Thanks to all for your input.  Spoke with a tech who does a lot of work with Macs and iPhones, and also with photographers.  He has seen this several times before.  Both the diagnosis and the solution surprised me, so I pass them on (it did work!)

Diagnosis - The problem was caused by corruption of some screenshot/png files on the iPhone.  Apple software (Photos, Image Capture) can import all non-corrupt files from the iPhone to the Mac, but for some reason the LR import freezes.  This could be a problem with other non-Apple software, too - he did not know.

Solution -
Use Image Capture to download all pictures from iPhone onto one file on the desktop
For safety, backup this file - import later into LR from the desktop
Erase all images, (pictures/png/movies) from the iPhone
Take some test pictures with the iPhone camera
Bingo, LR imports them with no problem!

Rikk - Thanks so much for further testing.  Nothing now holding me back from upgrading.  I usually wait a while after each OSX upgrade to make sure all the bugs are out, and just hadn't gotten around to upgrading to Sierra.

John - Thanks for the tip on setting up the file for LR mobile import - will look at that more closely and alter my workflow.  (A few of these images might have been imported into LR previously, but most had not)

Jeffrey - Thanks for your input - I like to review my own workflow and also see what others are doing regularly - new tips pop up!
Pages: [1]   Go Up