Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gold Fiber Gloss profile  (Read 1424 times)

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Gold Fiber Gloss profile
« on: May 03, 2017, 01:08:47 pm »

I picked up a couple boxes of GFG on Monday, partly based on comments elsewhere in this forum, and partly based on my experience with an old box of GFS that I’m still working through. Yesterday I went to the Ilford website to get a profile, only to discover that they don’t have one for my printer, a Canon 9500 Mk II. I’ve asked about a profile for that printer via their contact form, but have not recieved an answer as yet. I haven’t opened any yet, so I could take it back and exchange it, though that’s three hours driving if the traffic is good. Or, again based on comments in the thread linked above, I could try using the Canson Platine profile, though I’m not super inclined to experiment with paper that costs this much. I’m not equiped to make my own profiles. Any other suggestions?
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Gold Fiber Gloss profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 02:23:02 pm »

Canson Baryta Photographique would be a closer profile fit than Canson Platine. CBP would likely be OK, but one can't say with 100% certainty. Can't you do a paper exchange with them by mail or courier instead of driving for 3 hours?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 02:29:51 pm »

Sorry, scrap that profile recommendation. I mistook GFG for GFS. I don't know the closest fit for GFG, but it may not necessary be Canson Platine, as paper white seems slightly different and paper thickness is different. Surface texture looks similar. You could try it, but exchanging the paper may be a safer bet.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

MHMG

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 05:04:49 pm »

I purchased a package of Gold fiber Gloss a few days ago. It sure looks like a Canson Platine Fiber Rag dead ringer look-alike to me (media white, front surface texture, backside surface texture, thickness, etc). I will confirm with a printability test soon, but unfortunately the GFG package I received had to be returned (a damaged corner affecting most of the sheets inside otherwise perfect box). Exchange is on its way from B&H and I should have it tomorrow. If I'm right about GFG being yet another fine example of market rebranding (there seems to be a lot of that going around these days) then an ICC proflle of either Epson Legacy Platine or Canson Platine Fiber Rag should work pretty well if you can find one for your 9500 MKII printer. The new Ilford is the old Ilford pretty much in name only, and unlike the old Ilford, I suspect the new Ilford is expanding its offerings by contracting with other supplier(s) for products and coating services.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 12:37:24 am »

Can't you do a paper exchange with them by mail or courier instead of driving for 3 hours?

I’m sure I could do that, if nothing else works out.

If I'm right about GFG being yet another fine example of market rebranding (there seems to be a lot of that going around these days) then an ICC proflle of either Epson Legacy Platine or Canson Platine Fiber Rag should work pretty well if you can find one for your 9500 MKII printer.

I doubt that there is such a thing as an Epson profile for a Canon printer. But I already have the Canson profile downloaded. :)
Rob

MHMG

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 07:33:16 am »

I’m sure I could do that, if nothing else works out.

I doubt that there is such a thing as an Epson profile for a Canon printer. But I already have the Canson profile downloaded. :)

Good point. I muddled my thought process a little. I mentioned the Legacy Platine paper because was thinking in terms of also printing interchangeably between Epson Legacy Platine and GFG by borrowing the Canson Platine ICC profile for Platine Fiber Rag that Canson makes available for numerous printer brands and models.  However, chances are good that unless on sale, the GFG will generally be priced lower than either the Epson Legacy Platine or the Canson Platine, so if you like the look provided by GFG, Legacy Platine, and Canson Platine, and Red River Palo Duro Soft Gloss as well,  then GFG or RRPDSG are the ones that would logically be purchased more often.

cheers,
Mark

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 12:08:07 pm »

Good point. I muddled my thought process a little. I mentioned the Legacy Platine paper because was thinking in terms of also printing interchangeably between Epson Legacy Platine and GFG by borrowing the Canson Platine ICC profile for Platine Fiber Rag that Canson makes available for numerous printer brands and models.  However, chances are good that unless on sale, the GFG will generally be priced lower than either the Epson Legacy Platine or the Canson Platine, so if you like the look provided by GFG, Legacy Platine, and Canson Platine, and Red River Palo Duro Soft Gloss as well,  then GFG or RRPDSG are the ones that would logically be purchased more often.

cheers,
Mark

Thanks Mark. I have still not recieved a response from Ilford. The price difference between the GFG and Platine is less than $2.00 a box for 25 sheets of 8.5 x 11 (they don’t carry Red River). I’d rather give the money to the company that’s actually providing some support, especially for so little difference, so I’m strongly leaning toward returning the Ilford.
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up