Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX 50s - 120 mm macro samples  (Read 5781 times)

tintoreto

Fuji GFX 50s - 120 mm macro samples
« on: May 02, 2017, 04:56:36 pm »

Some of my samples from the 120mm macro of the Fuji GFX 50s

Thomas J Conway

• Nature's Portraits
Re: Fuji GFX 50s - 120 mm macro samples
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:12:51 pm »

Beautiful samples. . .congrats!

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 10:44:10 pm »

Very nice.  I was shooting some images today with the 120mm.  There is a lot to like about this camera.  Did you shoot these handheld?  AF or MF? 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

tintoreto

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 03:04:53 pm »

Very nice.  I was shooting some images today with the 120mm.  There is a lot to like about this camera.  Did you shoot these handheld?  AF or MF?

These are shoot handheld AF

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 11:13:28 am »

Personally, I would expect more clarity and luminosity from this lens than these photos show. Just my two cents.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

pschefz

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 11:36:07 am »

Personally, I would expect more clarity and luminosity from this lens than these photos show. Just my two cents.
i am assuming this is meant to be a joke, correct?
schefz.com
artloch.com

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 11:44:02 am »

i am assuming this is meant to be a joke, correct?

Not a joke. Should probably not have mentioned it if it is controversial, but that is what these kinds of discussions are about. I meant what I said. Could just be my eyes, since I am getting older by the day. I no longer have that lens, but at some point I will have the X1D version of it and will perhaps send some example of what it can do or cannot do. Could just be processing. If you mean is it "sharp," it is sharp. Just look at in in Photoshop. Aside from that is what I am referring to, but that's probably just personal as to processing..
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 01:00:32 pm by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

pschefz

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 07:04:31 pm »

Not a joke. Should probably not have mentioned it if it is controversial, but that is what these kinds of discussions are about. I meant what I said. Could just be my eyes, since I am getting older by the day. I no longer have that lens, but at some point I will have the X1D version of it and will perhaps send some example of what it can do or cannot do. Could just be processing. If you mean is it "sharp," it is sharp. Just look at in in Photoshop. Aside from that is what I am referring to, but that's probably just personal as to processing..
sorry, i understand opinions differ...i thought these were very nice examples of what the lens is capable of...anything i have seen so far has pretty much blown me away.....
btw: from my experience with the 45 and the 90 on the X1D i would not hold my breath for something exceptional from any coming lenses for that camera....but i guess it is all personal opinion....the beauty of having choices...
schefz.com
artloch.com

hubell

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 10:15:37 pm »

sorry, i understand opinions differ...i thought these were very nice examples of what the lens is capable of...anything i have seen so far has pretty much blown me away.....
btw: from my experience with the 45 and the 90 on the X1D i would not hold my breath for something exceptional from any coming lenses for that camera....but i guess it is all personal opinion....the beauty of having choices...

I haven't used the 120mm lens personally, but from many reports, it appears that it is a very capable lens. There is nothing about the samples HERE, however, that impress me. Just more over the top Fuji color that has too much contrast, and too much saturation. My eyes hurt. There is no elegance, no subtlety, and yes, no luminosity.
Exceptional photographs do not "come from" exceptional lenses. The lenses for the GFX and the X1D are all very, very capable lenses. (The 30mm X1D lens is the finest wide angle lens I have ever used.) These lenses will not be the limiting factor in the production of beautiful imagery. It is the Fuji color pipeline that is, for me, the problem.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 04:05:19 am »

I haven't used the 120mm lens personally, but from many reports, it appears that it is a very capable lens. There is nothing about the samples HERE, however, that impress me. Just more over the top Fuji color that has too much contrast, and too much saturation. My eyes hurt. There is no elegance, no subtlety, and yes, no luminosity.
Exceptional photographs do not "come from" exceptional lenses. The lenses for the GFX and the X1D are all very, very capable lenses. (The 30mm X1D lens is the finest wide angle lens I have ever used.) These lenses will not be the limiting factor in the production of beautiful imagery. It is the Fuji color pipeline that is, for me, the problem.

+1

chrismuc

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 09:02:03 am »

I wouldn't take Michael E too seriously
'Fuji colors', 'too much contrast', 'too much saturation', 'more clarity???', 'no luminosity???'
all about post and personal taste, has nothing to do with the lens IQ

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 01:54:07 pm »

I wouldn't take Michael E too seriously
'Fuji colors', 'too much contrast', 'too much saturation', 'more clarity???', 'no luminosity???'
all about post and personal taste, has nothing to do with the lens IQ
+1

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

pschefz

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 05:20:12 pm »

not sure how this was misunderstood...i do not really expect any exceptional lenses from the X1D system based on my experience with the 45 and the 90...the copy of the 90 was not just a mediocre lens, i tested it compared to the 24-70 GM zoom and it came out looking worse....so that is what my personal opinion is based on...
as far color and all the other things you are referring to....at this point almost any file can be made to look just about any way, especially when judged from a web jpeg....these samples could probably have been shot with many cameras but i don't really understand why someone takes the time to actually see something wrong with the lens that did take them...
in general I feel this is getting a little silly....i hope i did not offend anyone, i like the pics, i definitely see anything wrong with them and it would never occur to me to think one way or the other about a specific lens based on representations like these...especially not a high end lens like this....
schefz.com
artloch.com

hubell

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 09:22:05 pm »

not sure how this was misunderstood...i do not really expect any exceptional lenses from the X1D system based on my experience with the 45 and the 90...the copy of the 90 was not just a mediocre lens, i tested it compared to the 24-70 GM zoom and it came out looking worse....so that is what my personal opinion is based on...
as far color and all the other things you are referring to....at this point almost any file can be made to look just about any way, especially when judged from a web jpeg....these samples could probably have been shot with many cameras but i don't really understand why someone takes the time to actually see something wrong with the lens that did take them...
in general I feel this is getting a little silly....i hope i did not offend anyone, i like the pics, i definitely see anything wrong with them and it would never occur to me to think one way or the other about a specific lens based on representations like these...especially not a high end lens like this....

Let's be clear about the, ahem, background that may explain your comments about X1D lenses when the capabilities of those lenses were not in any way the subject matter of this thread, and you decided to jump in and make it all about the X1D lenses. You are a charter member of the Hasselblad Haters Club, going back over 10 years now. This, from one of your posts here back in 2007, ranting about the H Series cameras and responding to someone who was questioning your obsession: "...english is not my first language, maybe it isn't yours either, maybe i am just crazy.....maybe that is why i have such deep hatred for all things hasselblad...." So, your "personal opinion" comparing the X1D 90mm lens to the Sony 24-70mm zoom has to be taken in context. The comparison is really just a joke. If anyone wants to really compare them, drop the dime on Lloyd Chambers' Medium Format and Mirrorless review sites and compare the files. (And, while you are at it, take a look at his examples of the focus shift issues with the GFX 120mm lens.)
Talk in the form of personal opinions is just that, particularly when it comes from those with an axe to grind.

pschefz

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 10:30:43 pm »

wow....
you don't have to go back 10 years to find out that i responded to what i thought a strange comment about the 120 macro samples (which is what this should be about) and considering the strange tone and general positive reception of the fuji lens i really thought it was a joke....
it was not and the person started talking about X1D lenses....at that point i posted my own experience with the 45 and 90 which was less then overwhelming.....
to be completely honest i really, really, really wanted to like the X1D and was really disappointed about the GFX announcement....the X1D checked all the right boxes, size, excellent wifi, and most important fast sync speed....and quite a bit cheaper then the H6 system i was just about to look into....
i prefer to do my own tests, hands on, i compare things in the way they need to work for me....what works for me might not work for other people....
i haven't posted here in years and i guess it is my excitement about the GFX that brought me back....maybe because i am so surprised about how much i like it because i did not even consider it....
i will keep posting my opinions and try to avoid your posts from now on, might be better for all of us...less clutter for everybody else....

schefz.com
artloch.com

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 05:28:17 am »

These are shoot handheld AF

I too am impressed.  The Fuji 120mm macro is an exceptional lens.  OIS is a huge benefit and unique in  MF I believe.

As for color rendition, it is a matter of taste, of course, but these samples look good to me.  Fuji have plenty of film "looks" to replicate Astia, Provia, Vevia etc, so all tastes are catered for if a differen look is preferred.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato
Pages: [1]   Go Up