Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100ps: A couple of basic questions for a new owner  (Read 1288 times)

Endeavour

HP Z3100ps: A couple of basic questions for a new owner
« on: May 02, 2017, 11:15:10 am »

as mentioned in another thread, I am now the proud owner of an HP Z3100ps. It was recently serviced inc a belt change and comes with a warranty, so I'm feeling reasonably comfortable with my 1st wide format printer purchase.
I've ran through a couple of prints and I'm over the moon with the results compared to my previous photo printer outputs.

I'm planning to use a mixture of paper types as I'll be printing BW & colour photos (from film and digital) as well as prints of oil paintings

I have a couple of questions which maybe someone on here would know about:

profiling/calibration:
I have a calibrated monitor and I fully intend to create custom paper profiles for non HP papers. Such as Ilford and Hahnemuehle photo rags.
I know I can print the colour calibration chart on letter/A4, but the profiling setup for the paper seems to want A3
My plan was to buy some sample packs in 8.5" and calibrate/profile from those and then decide which 24" rolls to purchase. Is it the case that I need to profile paper with a min size of A3?

Ink
the printer came with some very old (and obviously expired) ink cartridges. Ranging from 1 year to 6 years out of date. I've read a bunch of comments online about people having no issues with expired ink, but I'm slowly going to replace them with fresh cartridges when I can afford it.
My question is, will I need to be going through the whole calibration/profiling procedure again once I replace all the ink? Is there likely to be a significant difference between the old and new outputs?
Will using such expired ink pose any threats to the print heads?
How best to replace the old ink? is there a job I can run which will flush out the old ink still in the system as the new ink is fed in?

thanks
Simon

kevk

• Kevin Kucks Photography
Re: HP Z3100ps: A couple of basic questions for a new owner
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 03:17:32 am »

Hi Simon,
I can comment on the first question - yes you need A3 at least for the profiling of a new paper (I usually use 17" roll for this) as there are lots of colour patches printed, but for the subsequent periodic calibrations it is happy to use minimum of A4 as there are fewer patches printed. I often use approx A4 sheets cut from the unusable ends of old 17/24/36/44 rolls for this.

Only a small comment on ink - some of my ink is a couple of years out of date and seems ok, don't know about 6 years.

Happy printing!
Kevin

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 10:24:00 am »

as mentioned in another thread, I am now the proud owner of an HP Z3100ps. It was recently serviced inc a belt change and comes with a warranty, so I'm feeling reasonably comfortable with my 1st wide format printer purchase.
I've ran through a couple of prints and I'm over the moon with the results compared to my previous photo printer outputs.

I'm planning to use a mixture of paper types as I'll be printing BW & colour photos (from film and digital) as well as prints of oil paintings

I have a couple of questions which maybe someone on here would know about:

profiling/calibration:
I have a calibrated monitor and I fully intend to create custom paper profiles for non HP papers. Such as Ilford and Hahnemuehle photo rags.
I know I can print the colour calibration chart on letter/A4, but the profiling setup for the paper seems to want A3
My plan was to buy some sample packs in 8.5" and calibrate/profile from those and then decide which 24" rolls to purchase. Is it the case that I need to profile paper with a min size of A3?

Ink
the printer came with some very old (and obviously expired) ink cartridges. Ranging from 1 year to 6 years out of date. I've read a bunch of comments online about people having no issues with expired ink, but I'm slowly going to replace them with fresh cartridges when I can afford it.
My question is, will I need to be going through the whole calibration/profiling procedure again once I replace all the ink? Is there likely to be a significant difference between the old and new outputs?
Will using such expired ink pose any threats to the print heads?
How best to replace the old ink? is there a job I can run which will flush out the old ink still in the system as the new ink is fed in?

thanks
Simon

Hi again Simon,

Since Kevin has covered the profiling question(s), I'll touch on the ink situation.  When I first started printing with the Pro Graphic printers, 12+ years ago, I was questioning the viability of expired inks as well.  However, after reading many posts on two separate forums I decided to simply use the carts until they were empty and could not be used any longer.  Of course I have long since become a loyal member of LuLa, since this is definitely the place to reside.  Now, as far as your expired carts are concerned, I would say that anything beyond three years might be a bit of a gamble, but certainly not a year or two beyond the exp date.  Having said that I believe that as long as you occasionally agitate(gently) the expired carts, that will likely help them stay in solution and provide better results in the long run.  I guess this all comes down to perhaps the use of a bit of common sense.  In other words, how far do you really want(need) to push your luck?  Although I imagine there might be others who will disagree with some of this, I will offer one important reason not to use carts beyond their exp date.  You mentioned that there is some warranty on this printer.  It has been my experience that if you ever require a warranty service call, one of the first things the tech will probably check is the carts and their exp dates.  Also, if you will be using non-HP Papers it might be a good idea to put them "away" if a warranty call is necessary.  Just one more reason for a possible warranty breach, although of course I do not know how strict the warranty provider might be in that case.  Good luck Simon.

Cheers,
Gary           
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 03:04:19 pm »

Hi again Simon,

Since Kevin has covered the profiling question(s), I'll touch on the ink situation.  When I first started printing with the Pro Graphic printers, 12+ years ago, I was questioning the viability of expired inks as well.  However, after reading many posts on two separate forums I decided to simply use the carts until they were empty and could not be used any longer.  Of course I have long since become a loyal member of LuLa, since this is definitely the place to reside.  Now, as far as your expired carts are concerned, I would say that anything beyond three years might be a bit of a gamble, but certainly not a year or two beyond the exp date.  Having said that I believe that as long as you occasionally agitate(gently) the expired carts, that will likely help them stay in solution and provide better results in the long run.  I guess this all comes down to perhaps the use of a bit of common sense.  In other words, how far do you really want(need) to push your luck?  Although I imagine there might be others who will disagree with some of this, I will offer one important reason not to use carts beyond their exp date.  You mentioned that there is some warranty on this printer.  It has been my experience that if you ever require a warranty service call, one of the first things the tech will probably check is the carts and their exp dates.  Also, if you will be using non-HP Papers it might be a good idea to put them "away" if a warranty call is necessary.  Just one more reason for a possible warranty breach, although of course I do not know how strict the warranty provider might be in that case.  Good luck Simon.

Cheers,
Gary         

I looked into this issues about Ink and expiration dates.  HP has an "official" bottom line when it comes to the use of expired inks in machines under warranty.  The long and short of it is, that in each machine there is a log that you can get to and see the comments about use of expired inks.  Every repair person accesses these logs.  It is at HP's discretion whether to use the "official" version or not on a case by case basis, apparently.  If you have a machine under warranty, don't use expired inks very long after the fact.  If you have a machine that is not under warranty, then the sky is the limit with expired inks, up to the point you are comfortable using them.

Here is the "OFFICIAL" HP position:

"On the box is the sell by/ expiration date.  Somewhere in very small print
on the printhead is either the expire date or manufacture date.  If it's the
manufacture date then there is no other wording on it and the printhead is
good for two years after the manufacture date.  If it's the expire date it
usually starts with that "expire or install by XX/XX/XX.  If the customer
has installed expired ink it does not void warranty of the whole printer
just whatever components that comes in contact with the ink.  Which is ink
cart, ink tube system and printheads.  And also any image or color quality
issues are not guaranteed until fresh ink is installed.
"

Draw your own conclusions...  ::)

EDIT:  Another conversation with an HP representative about this stuff:

"We spoke yesterday regarding ink cartridges for the
 Z3200ps. I was able to pose a question to a colleague that works on the
 supplies side of HP. My intent was to address the question of why there
 can be such variance in the dates published
 on ink cartridge boxes. I’ve highlighted his explanation below."

"The  warranty policy for ink supplies (and hence “dating” policy on the
retail boxes) can vary by product.  For the HP 70 ink cartridges, the
end of warranty date, and hence the warranty policy, is set to be 30 months from the date of
manufacture.  Nearly all supplies warranty and dating are based on when
the product was manufactured.  This is why there can be a varying date
on these products, and why the customer sees these dates
be quite disparate.  Manufacturing is done in batches, at certain times
of the month or quarter, and then they are dated 30 months out.  As
they move thru the supply chain and distribution channel, they can get
intermixed and this will result in this variance in dates seen by the customer. HP does not have a “standard” window of
guarantee (or warranty), but we do try to ensure there is at least 6-12
months of “usable life” remaining (most often way more than this), once a
customer purchases the supplies."

FYI.  -Just some more notes I found about inks and my discussions with HP.

-Mark
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:12:57 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Endeavour

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 03:26:47 pm »

interesting stuff thanks

do you know if all HP 70 ink is the same? i.e. some boxes are black with little butterflies on them, and others are have VIVERA written on them

they both share the same 'C' code such as C9448A for Matte Black

i.e.

Pages: [1]   Go Up