Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ugh..Epic Clog on my 7800  (Read 2755 times)

Pete JF

Ugh..Epic Clog on my 7800
« on: May 01, 2017, 01:15:29 pm »

I might be at the end of the road with my 7800

I posted earlier about moving on to a new printer..

Out of nowhere a bad print and a disastrous looking nozzle check-can't shake it loose.. Regular head cleaning and finally two power cleanings..no change in the look of the Nozzle printout..Sorry. see below (worse)

I maintain regularly with Piezo flush according to that websites cleaning program etc..

All channels fritzing out, majorly. The last check shows almost nothing on printout. it's actually gotten worse after the power cleaning.

Surprised at how this came out of nowhere, literally overnight. Anyone ever encounter anything like this..seems like a major aberration to me after so many years on this machine

Should I go for new heads?

Farmer

Re: Ugh..Epic Clog on my 7800
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 05:25:58 pm »

If you get less after a power cleaning that's usually a result of not being able to supply enough ink.  You should wait (with the printer on) after a power clean and run a nozzle check.  If it's worse, turn the printer off and then back on and then run a nozzle check.  The wait time should be no less than 15 minutes.  Never do multiple cleans or power cleans without waiting and doing a nozzle check in between.

If, after waiting and nozzle checks and so on, you have a large amount of nozzles that are still unrecovered (the same nozzles, not moving around), then you may have a head issue.  If the nozzles that are missing are moving, it's probably air or detritus on the head, in which case either letting it settle down with some nozzle checks now and then or cleaning or replacing the wiper blade and capping assembly would be more likely to resolve the issue.
Phil Brown

Pete JF

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 05:15:41 pm »

Hi Phil,

Had to go away for a few, back now and trying to solve this..i did a nozzle check..same result after a week or so..Ran a bunch of test prints/throwaway prints > then a regular cleaning > another nozzle check..some changes on the pattern printout..i would call them fairly minor changes but definitely some differences..

Same broader issues..all channels are affected and most in a fairly extreme way..a lot missing.

Pete JF

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 05:33:05 pm »

Second question..are parts still available for the 7800?

I was going to try changing my wiper blade, capping station etc..

Noticed on one site I visited that 'part was no longer available'

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 05:55:13 pm »

Parts are going to be very scarce.  The product has been discontinued for a long time, but there may be a few places out there with some available - it's a matter of searching.

If the nozzles that are blocked are changing then it is probably not the head itself.  It's either the ink (is it in date?  Have you taken the carts out and given them a gentle shake?), or the duct or the damper or the wiper, or the broader cleaning assembly.  Basically, it's either got an ink supply issue or a cleaning ability issue.  Unfortunately, that could eventually lead to the head becoming permanently blocked so even if you get those other things sorted, you won't know for sure about the head until those other things are done.

Basically, though, I wouldn't be looking at a new head (if you can find one) without doing the other things first (which are cheaper, even though all together they add up a bit) because a new head will just suffer if the other parts are not working correctly.
Phil Brown

Pete JF

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 06:02:43 pm »

The ink is fresh, just re inked it and it was working perfectly before this event..

I guess when the printer is in cleaning mode..the ink doesn't actually flow through the heads? is this true?..only saying because it seems like they would be clean..no?

I was just checking on parts and it seems everything is coming from China..both websites and from Ebay..

Is anyone familiar with a website called East Signs??  www.east-signs.com

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 04:09:35 am »

The ink is fresh, just re inked it and it was working perfectly before this event..

I guess when the printer is in cleaning mode..the ink doesn't actually flow through the heads? is this true?..only saying because it seems like they would be clean..no?

I was just checking on parts and it seems everything is coming from China..both websites and from Ebay..

Is anyone familiar with a website called East Signs??  www.east-signs.com

Ink definitely flows through the heads during cleaning.  It's one of the reasons you need to pause after a clean before you check it, because it's not designed to sustain that rate of flow, hence multiple cleans one after the other can actually give you a worse nozzle check.

When you see the missing nozzles moving around, that's what generally indicates that the head can still fire and that something else is amiss.

Be careful ordering parts - as I said, it's been discontinued for a while so you need to be sure you're really getting the right bits (and note it's far from a simple exercise to change them yourself).  First place to start would be an authorised repairer in your area.
Phil Brown

na goodman

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 07:22:15 am »

Second question..are parts still available for the 7800?

I was going to try changing my wiper blade, capping station etc..

Noticed on one site I visited that 'part was no longer available'

Try the site: https://compassmicro.com

Pete JF

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 11:45:50 am »

Thanks, NA, I'll check that out..

Pete JF

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 01:02:56 pm »

Back in town (again) and still trying to source parts for my 7800..Wiper blade, capping station and flushing box.

Lots of stuff shipping from China on Ebay..hoping to find some better sources for these basic parts..Compassmicro, Which NA goodman referenced, was out of everything..

Jim Metzger

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 01:41:16 pm »

I have had good luck with this company on a 7600. http://www.americaninkjetsystems2.com. They had original parts when everyone else wouldn't even look at the printer.

The owner Steve, who was a mad genius has unfortunately passed away but the company is still in business. I'd contact them.

Jim

Pete JF

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 02:25:34 pm »

Jim, thank you for that resource..called them, very pleasant person answered, ready to help..

MUCH appreciated.

Jim Metzger

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 08:51:49 am »

Glad they can help.

I had the opportunity to visit their world headquarters (ground floor of a private house in NJ) when Steve was alive. He was great to talk to and was very forthcoming with information. I use their Inkjet Cleaning Fluid on a regular basis and their videos helped tremendously when I swapped out some parts on my 7600.

I wonder if Epson had pursued "better" printing with their more mechanical printers (7600, 7800) rather than electronic ones if there would be less maintenance issues today. I certainly don't print everyday or sometimes for weeks and rarely need more than 1 or 2 basic cleanings if any at all. I am knocking on wood now.

Pete JF

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 06:56:54 pm »

Thanks again, Jim..they've located everything and will ship as soon as it arrives at AIS

I had THE most delightful phone call today with with Steve's Wife..made my day. I love doing business with people and companies like this. very, VERY refreshing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up