Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do HB HC lenses have firmware ..Leica H adapter communication problem  (Read 1479 times)

Roger Jupiter

This is a complex issue for me because I am trying to use a HB 300/4.5 AF lens with the Leica H-adapter for the S camera .  So we have a lenses ,a smart adapter and a camera that all must communicate .   In the Leica S system lenses all have firmware and are updated by the camera body automatically with each new camera firmware release . They are numbered and show up in the camera information .   

Obviously I can t see this information (if it even exists ) in the HB lens not having a HB body .   Short of trip to the HB dealer can I be armed with some information about how this works in the HB system .  Assume you download new firmware to the body and then mount the lens for an update ?  If so I will need to find a tolerant HB dealer that will help me. 

Chris Livsey

Re: Do HB HC lenses have firmware ..Leica H adapter communication problem
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 04:08:39 pm »

I will give you a slightly different answer than the ones you had from the same question in another forum  ;)

The system status screens are available from the H body menu, these show versions of firmware on attached lens and viewfinder. Both my native H lenses show 10.0.0 and I suspect this is a holding/type/version number rather than a true firmware. (The menu also shows the number of lens shutter activations.)

Having said that the very early HC80mm lenses had a focussing issue which was a factory FOC upgrade/fix which allegedly required a firmware update as well. The early lenses had chrome screws attaching the lens bayonet, later and upgraded ones had black screws. My 80mmHC was a chrome screw version and has been upgraded FOC by Hasselblad, unfortunately I took no notice of the menu report of the "firmware" before the factory visit.

I have never seen a lens firmware issued, there have been user firmware updates for some viewfinders and of course for bodies and backs as well as the GPS system.
No doubt an e-mail to Hasselblad support would clarify.

Roger Jupiter

Re: Do HB HC lenses have firmware ..Leica H adapter communication problem
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 06:47:26 pm »

Thanks Chris .....lens firmware updates are typically done when a camera/back firmware requires it .  For example when the Leica S improved the AF capabilities of the S bodies they updated the firmware of the lenses .  The lenses update when they are attached to a body using the newer firmware .  So there are no independent lens firmware updates .  They are considered a part of the new release .  There is no reason why a user needs to know this as it is automated by the camera firmware . 

Not using HB gear ..I am not familiar with how they accomplish this . 

The Leica adapter must keep up with a moving target if HB is frequently updating the lenses.    I only need to make it work for one lens as the 300/4.5 is the only requirement I can t fill with an S lens.

imagetone

• http://www.tonymayimages.com

Many years ago I took an H1 body and two or three lenses (80mm, 150mm possibly 35mm) to a local dealer open day with a Hasselblad technician there.

He checked the body and lens firmware and he updated the body and at least one lens (I can't remember any more detail than that it was so long ago). He did it from a laptop via a Hasselblad back. The body firmware has since been updated again when sent away for servicing but I have always used Phase One backs so can't do updates myself and haven't had the need for any lens updates since.

As an aside I have used a HC 120mm macro for tens of thousands more captures than are displayed in the info panel on the body when the lens is mounted. I have never worked out why the count is apparently wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up