Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on GFX Lens Selection  (Read 4496 times)

PBC

• http://www.philcorley.com
Thoughts on GFX Lens Selection
« on: April 30, 2017, 02:01:55 pm »

I am currently considering the Fuji GFX, but I am undecided on what lens selection I would go for (if I went with the GFX), so just wondering what people think if they were/are in the same position.  So assume you are like me (  :D ) in that you just shoot landscapes, often needing a long walk into location, most (say 90%+) images shot at less than 50mm (35mm eqv.), all using a tripod.

Would you go for (1) the 23mm, 63mm and then add the 45mm at the end of this year -- or go for (2) the 23mm and the 32-64mm zoom now?

Appreciate with (1) you would have a focal range gap for x months between the 23mm and 63mm - so not ideal; but with the Fuji and their lenses, would the benefit of primes be better than the zoom, or is the zoom quality special enough that the benefits are marginal?   As I (sorry, you  :D ) would be shooting all on a tripod, the F4 vs. F2.8 is not an issue I assume?

Carry weight, assuming the 45mm will be same weight as the 63mm, there would be less than 100gms between the two options, so from a carrying position they seem neutral.

I know everyone is different, but would just like to hear what people think about the lens selection?  Lets ignore the camera debate at the moment, just assume the GFX is a given  ;)

Thanks

Phil

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
Re: Thoughts on GFX Lens Selection
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 02:59:46 pm »

I do mostly landscapes and seascapes and find that with the Phase One with the 40-80 zoom (roughly the same as the Fuji zoom) covers about 80% of the focal lengths I shoot.  Part of the reason I use the zoom is I don't like changing lenses when I'm on the ocean - think salt spray, blowing sand etc.  Additionally, I have an excellent copy that is very sharp.  I can't speak the the quality of the Fuji zoom so it's hard give any better guidance.

pschefz

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 07:13:04 pm »

i think the 32-64 is one of the best lenses i have ever had, including primes....it really is amazing, and i am sure the 23 and 45 will be even better....
just putting this out there though...the GFX with 32-64 is not really a small and light camera....i really love it, it is really close to the perfect t camera to me, especially in that configuration but i actually like the size and heft....
i did not like the X1D for other reasons but it is incredibly small and light.....and of course the A7RII is very, very, very close in IQ and also a lot lighter and smaller......
schefz.com
artloch.com

chrismuc

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 03:39:41 am »

some thoughts

if you shoot mainly at f11 or above, due to diffraction there will be no visual difference in IQ between a Fuji GF prime lens and the GF 32-64
at f8 the 63 and the upcoming shorter prime lenses are slightly sharper towards the corners than the zoom
at f5.6 the primes could give a certain advantage reg. corner sharpness

according a fujirumors rumor, Fuji has also a 35f2.8 in the pipeline, I am pretty confident for a release in 2018
that will make a nice prime line 23f4/ 35f2.8/ 45f2.8/ 63f.28
so that would be the way to go for highest quality
all lenses are not too heavy, but of course heavier than 23 + 32-64

some options with alternative lenses considering that any 645 lens (67mm image circle) and 135 shift lens (62-67mm image circle) has easily sufficient image circle for the 44x33mm sensor (55mm image circle) of the GFX

28mm
Schneider 28f2.8 PC in R or EF mount (or Pentax, Nikon ...) + Fotodiox/ Kipon adapter
manual aperture, stopped down to f8 gives good result across the frame (even slight shift possible, better at f11)

35mm
Contax CY 35f2.8 (or Olympus ...) + Fotodiox/ Kipon CY - GF adapter
manual aperture, stopped down to f8 gives good result across the frame (even slight shift possible, better at f11)
Contax 645 35f3.5 + upcoming Fringer auto focus/ auto aperture C645 - GF adapter
Contax 645 35f3.5 + Mirex C645 - EF adapter + Fotodiox C645 - EF adapter
I use this combination with the Contax lens stopped down to f11 and it allows also 12+ mm shift in any direction giving the option for 12000+ pixel wide pano images

45mm
Contax 645 45f2.8 + upcoming Fringer auto focus/ auto aperture C645 - GF adapter

PBC

• http://www.philcorley.com
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 03:52:53 am »

Thanks guys; this helps with the thinking

@pschefz - appreciate the comments on size.  Currently I have two setups, Pentax 645Z and Sony A7RII.   The 645Z with 28-45 is too bulky and heavy for me - and the 28-45 I use most of the time.  The Sony is (to me) too small and I find too fiddly and basically not great user experience; images are good though.   So my current thinking is to replace the Pentax with the Fuji, knocking about a 3rd of the weight off.  I love the Pentax but it is just too big for me now, but I prefer the larger cameras  - just not too large and heavy :)   Hence it is difficult move to make.

Currently, favouring going for the GF 32-64, but appreciate all input.

pschefz

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 11:51:11 am »

i agree with size, the sony can get a little too small at times....
one of the reasons i ended up with the fuji is the ability to use older glass....but so far everything i have tried has brought me back to the fuji GF glass.....IMO the difference between the GFX and the A7RII is pretty much lost when using older glass...unless you are going for a look...
schefz.com
artloch.com

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 04:00:42 pm »

Agree you cannot go wrong with the excellent 32-64mm F4. 

i think the 32-64 is one of the best lenses i have ever had, including primes....it really is amazing, and i am sure the 23 and 45 will be even better....
just putting this out there though...the GFX with 32-64 is not really a small and light camera....i really love it, it is really close to the perfect t camera to me, especially in that configuration but i actually like the size and heft....
i did not like the X1D for other reasons but it is incredibly small and light.....and of course the A7RII is very, very, very close in IQ and also a lot lighter and smaller......
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

jazzy

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 10:47:38 am »

Quick question on the GFX (im sure it must have been asked before, just cant find it)

Is the lens mount/camera body capable of housing a full frame MF sensor (56x40)? Or there has to be a separate version from Fuji for full frame FF in the future?

And how about the lens coverage? Can the current lenses cover FF MF or only 33x44 MF?

Thanks!

jazzy

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 10:58:26 am »

some thoughts

if you shoot mainly at f11 or above, due to diffraction there will be no visual difference in IQ between a Fuji GF prime lens and the GF 32-64
at f8 the 63 and the upcoming shorter prime lenses are slightly sharper towards the corners than the zoom
at f5.6 the primes could give a certain advantage reg. corner sharpness

according a fujirumors rumor, Fuji has also a 35f2.8 in the pipeline, I am pretty confident for a release in 2018
that will make a nice prime line 23f4/ 35f2.8/ 45f2.8/ 63f.28
so that would be the way to go for highest quality
all lenses are not too heavy, but of course heavier than 23 + 32-64

some options with alternative lenses considering that any 645 lens (67mm image circle) and 135 shift lens (62-67mm image circle) has easily sufficient image circle for the 44x33mm sensor (55mm image circle) of the GFX

28mm
Schneider 28f2.8 PC in R or EF mount (or Pentax, Nikon ...) + Fotodiox/ Kipon adapter

35mm
Contax CY 35f2.8 (or Olympus ...) + Fotodiox/ Kipon CY - GF adapter
Contax 645 35f3.5 + upcoming Fringer auto focus/ auto aperture C645 - GF adapter
Contax 645 35f3.5 + Mirex C645 - EF adapter + Fotodiox C645 - EF adapter
I use this combination with the Contax lens stopped down to f11 and it allows also 12+ mm shift in any direction giving the option for 12000+ pixel wide pano images

45mm
Contax 645 45f2.8 + upcoming Fringer auto focus/ auto aperture C645 - GF adapter

Hi Chris, fantastic set up with the Contax. Have you done any comparison with the 35mm on Phase One back vs GFX "back"? Do you see any difference?

chrismuc

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 08:24:25 pm »

Hi Jazzy,
thx:-)
Actually I did not yet have the chance to compare the PhaseOne IQ180 (+ FPS) with the GFX because I am currently travelling and only have the GFX (and a bag of lenses) with me.
But some general findings are that the IQ180 must be used at ISO 35 for best result and at exposure times below 10 seconds, the GFX with the Sony CMOS is of course more flexible in that respect. Both have tremendous DR, the GFX maybe 0.5 -1 step ahead.
Out of the camera/back I find the GFX files are bit easier to adjust to taste, especially in the greens. Still the Dalsa CCD has something appealing '3D pop', 'lifelike', difficult to describe.
Comparison to Sony A7RII: Now as I worked a bit more with the GFX I find the files a bit more flexible than the already also very good Sony A7RII files, and definitely better to sharpen. With the Sony files strangely even at ISO 100 with too much sharpening easily slight artefacts (not at contrast edges but in uniform areas) become visible.
(all observations in ACR)
I use the same lens set-up for architecture photography on all three cams, obviously the amount of shift is less, the bigger the sensor is. I appreciate that the angle of view using the GFX with the two TSE lenses is 20% wider than with the Sony so sometimes I don't have to stich two pics while have to with the Sony.

jazzy

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 09:15:23 am »

Hi Chris,

Fantastic collection of lenses for the GFX. I can see you use a mixture of Contax Zeiss, Hasselblad Zeiss, Canon TSE and Fuji G lenses (?). What are your favourites so far (for each application)?

Regarding the sensor, obviously Sony CMOS sensors have more flexibility and also dynamic range but I can't help but feeling the CCD 60/80MPx has more micro-contrast (natural sharpness at 100% viewing, or as you say "3D pop", or however you call it). Maybe its just the effect of sensor size. I have not had the chance to work with Sony full frame 100Mpx MF sensor yet.

Pages: [1]   Go Up