Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo resizing program?  (Read 2498 times)

gchappel

Photo resizing program?
« on: April 28, 2017, 03:39:56 pm »

I need to print some large images, 40x60".
The native resolution is only about 120ppi. 
I usually print through Qimage, using a ipf8400.  These are going onto a semigloss paper.
They do not look bad- at distance.
I am not expecting a miracle, but was curious if anyone had any experience with any of the program's specifically designed for upsizing- Perfect resize, Blow up, Photozoom?
I would be willing to purchase if it would help this project.
Any experience?
I may try the trial perfect resize- but thought I would ask the brain trust here first.
Thanks again for any help.
Gary

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Photo resizing program?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 03:46:51 pm »

I usually print through Qimage, using a ipf8400.  These are going onto a semigloss paper.
I am not expecting a miracle, but was curious if anyone had any experience with any of the program's specifically designed for upsizing- Perfect resize, Blow up, Photozoom?
Any experience?
I may try the trial perfect resize- but thought I would ask the brain trust here first.
Gary

When you say the native resolution is about 120 ppi, so you mean the files are natively 4400x6600 pixels? At that size print, you can upsize to 150 ppi and it'll probably look fine. Or you could go all the way to 300 ppi. QImage has excellent resizing algorithms. Try a few. I bet you'll find one you like.

Jim

gchappel

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 07:16:16 am »

I do use qimage to "upsize" the images for printing.
They look ok, but was fishing to see if one of the other upsize programs was any better.
Probably not- might try one anyway
Thanks
Gary

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 10:18:51 am »

They look ok, but was fishing to see if one of the other upsize programs was any better.
Thanks
Gary

Have you tried all of QImage's algorithms? I'd do that first.

Jim

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 01:42:00 pm »

Hi Gary,

The amount of interpolation needed is not that extreme, so the difference you'd get will be somewhat marginal. Depending on the subject matter (e.g. subjects with sharp edges like in architecture), there might be a more noticeable difference, but Qimage already does a pretty good job (especially with Smart Deep Focus Sharpening, DFS).

Qimage does do a number of other things well, like creating smoother gradients (recently improved further than it already was), and preventing Printer driver memory overflow, besides nesting of multiple images (also recently improved further).

But you can always try printing 2 crops, one upsampled by Qimage and one not upsampled because that was already done with Photozoom Pro, or Perfect Resize. The differences are there, but it may be hard to spot unless inspected from a short distance.

For larger upsampling factors, Photozoom Pro will retain pixel perfect edge sharpness, where Qimage will start to get a bit smoother.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rand47

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 09:27:38 pm »

Any experience?
Gary

If you have Photoshop the image resize option "Preserve details" is a significant improvement.  I've tested it against Photozoon and a few others and find it comparable. No longer any need for 3rd party resize software in my workflow.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

gchappel

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 06:20:55 pm »

If you have Photoshop the image resize option "Preserve details" is a significant improvement.  I've tested it against Photozoon and a few others and find it comparable. No longer any need for 3rd party resize software in my workflow.

Rand

Thanks- something else to try that I already own!!  I was unaware that perserve details was even available.  Found it, will give it a try
Thanks
gary

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 07:55:18 pm »

Thanks- something else to try that I already own!!  I was unaware that perserve details was even available.  Found it, will give it a try
Thanks
gary

Gary,

It was added a few versions back.  Hope it works well for you.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up