Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: South-West Photo trip advice neeeded  (Read 10698 times)

lucaslem

• http://www.lucaslemonnier.com
South-West Photo trip advice neeeded
« on: August 10, 2006, 10:38:30 am »

Hello everyone,

I am preparing for an upcoming photographic trip with my father in the South-West from Sept 18th - Oct 7th. We are both advanced amateurs in terms of technique, though this will be our first real trip since making the switch to digital about a year ago and we have never been to the area. It's all a bit of an unknown.

I am writing to get any advice or feedback from people about things we may not have thought of to bring or prepare for. If you have any specific advice about equipment, clothing, or generally what to expect, please do comment.

Here's a basic itinerary:

We land in vegas, head off very early the next morning for Zion. From there we go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon where we will spend 2/3 nights at Jacoblake. From there we head to Monument Valley for another 3 nights (we booked a 4-5 hour morning photo tour with Tom Phillips). We will be staying in Kayenta for 3 nights so if you have any other photographic opportunities to suggest we would love to hear them. From there we head to Santa Fe where we will be staying and relaxing for two weeks. We have not yet made any specific plans for that part of our trip.

Here is some equipment we will bring:
-Cameras & lenses
-Filters
-Pocket drives and laptops
-WhiBal reference
-Tripods

One thing I am hesitating about is my tripod situation. I have two:

A Manfrotto 055C with a 029 head http://stephenkin.tripod.com/images/055c.jpg and http://www.digit-photo.com/MANFROTTO_029_R...C0-p-MAN029.jpg and I also  have a more amateur and lightweight model http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...u=283689&is=REG. The first one  easily weighs 2.5 times the first one, but I'm unsure about the stability I can expect from the lighter one. I'm not a big guy and will already be hauling a lot of gear for my size so the hesitation is there. Any advice? I'm not using any super telephotos or anything.

Here are some things we still need and need advice for:
-Sensor cleaning equipment - anyone have anything to recommend? Never done it before. We both use Nikon D200 BTW.
-Small LED flashlights.

Clothing and misc:
-Hiking boots
-Sun screen
-Water bottles

I was thinking about ordering either Laurent Martres' book, Photographing The Southwest Vol. 2 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/091618909...8?redirect=true, or just getting a few specific articles from Photograph America: http://www.photographamerica.com/collectsw.htm. Has anyone used either of these? Would they recommend one over the other?

Finally, if anyone has an advice on photographing in these areas, little things to think about both photographically and in terms of comfort, please let me know.

Thank-you all in advance if you've even read this far!

Lucas

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 11:33:13 am »

I can't say anything about the rest of your trip, but for your two weeks in Santa Fe it's well worth spending a day visiting the Rio Grande valley to the north. Weirdly, there's a spectacular overlook at the back end of a suburban cul-de-sac.
As far as tripods go, I would strongly advise sucking it up and bringing the heavier and sturdier model, especially if it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Speaking from experience, you'll regret bringing the toy tripod every time you look at those not-quite-sharp images.

lucaslem

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 11:37:08 am »

I can't say anything about the rest of your trip, but for your two weeks in Santa Fe it's well worth spending a day visiting the Rio Grande valley to the north. Weirdly, there's a spectacular overlook at the back end of a suburban cul-de-sac.
As far as tripods go, I would strongly advise sucking it up and bringing the heavier and sturdier model, especially if it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Speaking from experience, you'll regret bringing the toy tripod every time you look at those not-quite-sharp images.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72963\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the tip!

And yeah, I felt the tripod comment coming on. It's going to be loads of fun figuring out how to get my gear over there with recent air-travel developments. I don't have a hard case, just a back-pack. Hopefully it will all have mellowed out by then.

Win

• http://www.winpics.fototime.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 12:20:42 pm »

Sounds like your in for a great trip. Here's few suggestions:

Sensor cleaning: I'm not familiar with Nikon but I use the Giotto Rocket (small)
and clean my sensor before each outing. Canon 5D

Martres' book: don't hesitate to buy it!

Water bottles:  Nalgene, available at any outdoor store. I keep 32 oz. large mouths and 16 oz regulars. Alot of both in my cooler. Buy a cheap styrofaom cooler! I use a 50/50 Gatorade mix, works well.

Hiking shoes: very individual, don't skimp and wear them around before you go on the trip.

Flashlights: I use only Surefire, not inexpensive, but the best

Tripods: I'm of no help.

Advice:

You're picking a great time to be in the SW! You may be a little early for the trees to turn in Zion but the North rim will be beautiful.

Are you going to do a lot of hiking at the North Rim? If not consider a trip from Jacobs Lake to Toroweap, some info here: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=585
 Include the petroglyphs and it's a very neat day trip. SUV recommended.

Sorry, don't know anything about Monument Valley. That's on next years schedule.

Have fun,
 Win

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 01:07:24 pm »

Another strong recommendation for the Martres book.

Have you checked the expected weather that time of year?  I haven't been in the area in Sept-Oct, but it might still be mighty hot.  Plan clothing, sunscreen, water quantity, etc. accordingly.  One trick that I've found works wonders when I'm overheating is to dump a bunch of water in my hat just before putting it back on my head.

I use a D200 too.  I find that a simple rocket-type blower is fine for sensor cleaning 95% of the time, and I use an electrostatic brush (the Arctic Butterfly made by Visible Dust - expensive, but it works) the other 5% of the time.

Bringing plenty of portable snack food (energy bars, dried fruit, nuts, etc.) is a good idea for times when you're in the middle of nowhere at meal time taking pictures and enjoying yourself, and don't want to waste time stopping to go somewhere far away in search of food.  Some of these areas are pretty empty.

While you're near Zion & the North Rim, Bryce Canyon isn't far away, and is also a "don't miss if you can possibly help it" place for weird and interesting photos (and fine hiking, too).  It's also higher elevation than Zion, so it's cooler if the hot weather is getting to you.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

lucaslem

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 01:30:25 pm »

Sounds like your in for a great trip. Here's few suggestions:

Sensor cleaning: I'm not familiar with Nikon but I use the Giotto Rocket (small)
and clean my sensor before each outing. Canon 5D

Martres' book: don't hesitate to buy it!

Water bottles:  Nalgene, available at any outdoor store. I keep 32 oz. large mouths and 16 oz regulars. Alot of both in my cooler. Buy a cheap styrofaom cooler! I use a 50/50 Gatorade mix, works well.

Hiking shoes: very individual, don't skimp and wear them around before you go on the trip.

Flashlights: I use only Surefire, not inexpensive, but the best

Tripods: I'm of no help.

Advice:

You're picking a great time to be in the SW! You may be a little early for the trees to turn in Zion but the North rim will be beautiful.

Are you going to do a lot of hiking at the North Rim? If not consider a trip from Jacobs Lake to Toroweap, some info here: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=585
 Include the petroglyphs and it's a very neat day trip. SUV recommended.

Sorry, don't know anything about Monument Valley. That's on next years schedule.

Have fun,
 Win
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72970\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Win, thanks for the very useful feedback! I'm definitely going to order the book and pick up a rocket. As for the shoes - I have a broken in pair ready to go. I'll check out that link.

Lucas

lucaslem

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 01:34:53 pm »

I use a D200 too.  I find that a simple rocket-type blower is fine for sensor cleaning 95% of the time, and I use an electrostatic brush (the Arctic Butterfly made by Visible Dust - expensive, but it works) the other 5% of the time.

Bringing plenty of portable snack food (energy bars, dried fruit, nuts, etc.) is a good idea for times when you're in the middle of nowhere at meal time taking pictures and enjoying yourself, and don't want to waste time stopping to go somewhere far away in search of food.  Some of these areas are pretty empty.

While you're near Zion & the North Rim, Bryce Canyon isn't far away, and is also a "don't miss if you can possibly help it" place for weird and interesting photos (and fine hiking, too).  It's also higher elevation than Zion, so it's cooler if the hot weather is getting to you.

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72974\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I plan on packing cliff bars and such for sure - I get mean when I get hungry

We thought about Bryce, but we got a bit concerned about trying to pack in so much in so little time. Only so many "golden hours" in a day and we really had to make difficult choices. However, we have no commitments apart from hotel reservations, so we'll go where we feel like once there.

Thanks!

Paul E

• http://www.pauleverettnaturescapes.com
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 09:50:24 am »

I am planning a similar trip (from the UK) could someone please advise if its neccessary to rent a 4x4/SUV or will a normal road car be sufficient?

Thank you

Paul
[url=http://www.pauleverettnaturescapes.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 10:09:20 am »

I am planning a similar trip (from the UK) could someone please advise if its neccessary to rent a 4x4/SUV or will a normal road car be sufficient?

Thank you

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73312\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Normal full size would be fine.  Even the drive through Monument Valley can be easily done without 4x4.  In any event most 4x4 rental agreements preclude you from taking the vehicle "off road".

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 11:27:45 am »

Another vote for Martres' book.

The north rim of Grand Canyon is at about 8000 to 9000 feet (2400 - 2700 m) elevation, and can get quite cold in September-October. In fact, it usually closes due to snow sometime in October. I squeeked through on the very last weekend last year. You can stay at Grand Canyon Lodge right on the rim inside the park, or just outside the park at Kaibab Lodge. I've stayed at both and highly recommend each of them. Both have good food, too. There's not much in Jacob Lake and you'll spend more time driving than necessary.

Cape Royal is the absolute don't-miss-it location at the north rim, and has some great overlooks along the drive to it, like Roosevelt Point. Point Imperial is very nice, too. The short walks from Grand Canyon Lodge are also very scenic.

My solution for carrying a lot of gear has been to remove the padded interior from an inexpensive photo backpack and slip it into a CamelBak "Peak Bagger" backpack. That way I always have water (3 liters), small pockets for snacks, extra boot laces, multi-tool, head light, etc.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:35:47 am by jimhuber »

Russ Good

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 02:11:57 pm »

I've known a number of photographers that have had their gear stolen while visiting Santa Fe.  They placed
the gear in the trunk of their car, shopped/ate, returning an hour later to find the trunk open and their
gear gone...just a thought to consider.

RG

lucaslem

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 09:29:38 am »

... You can stay at Grand Canyon Lodge right on the rim inside the park, or just outside the park at Kaibab Lodge. I've stayed at both and highly recommend each of them. Both have good food, too. There's not much in Jacob Lake and you'll spend more time driving than necessary.

Well these places were indeed our first choice, but when we looked into booking about three weeks ago, they were all full. I suppose we started planning the details a bit late, but having never been there we didn't imagine that hotels and things would get so packed so quickly. Jacob Lake was our closest solution.

I will definitely make sure we check out Cape Royal, and that's some good advice about carrying gear. Any specific Tripod advice?

Lucas

Win

• http://www.winpics.fototime.com
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 09:54:20 am »

I'd recommend you get a Jeep Liberty to drive around in. This will allow you to go to places like Point Sublime or take side trips on some of the scenic backways. I use
either Delormes Gazateers or the Benckmark Atlas, great detail!

Win

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 12:27:37 pm »

I plan on packing cliff bars and such for sure - I get mean when I get hungry

We thought about Bryce, but we got a bit concerned about trying to pack in so much in so little time. Only so many "golden hours" in a day and we really had to make difficult choices. However, we have no commitments apart from hotel reservations, so we'll go where we feel like once there.

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd second the recommendation for Bryce: I think it's one of the most beautiful places I've seen, particularly in the early morning.

Jeremy

skibum187

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 12:28:28 pm »

If you're looking for some more 'off the beaten path' locations, I would reccomend going up to Hovenweep after your Monument Valley stop. From Kayenta, head east on 160 to Teec Nos Pos. Turn left (still 160) to Four Corners Monument. Cross into Colorado. About 10-15 miles past 4Corners, turn left on Hwy41 and follow it about 30 miles to Aneth, Utah. Turn right on Hwy 407 and then a left on 401. Take a right when 401 dead ends and you'll pretty much be there. Lots of cool ruins and a LOT more hands on then Mesa Verde. You could make it from Kayenta, into Hovenweep and down to my next suggestion in a single day.
The next location I will reccomend is the Bisti Wilderness south of Farmington, New Mexico. It's not the easiest place to find, but well worth it.  PM me and I'll find specific directions if you need them.

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 01:44:04 pm »

The ranger at Petrified forest/painted desert told me that the period you will be in the area is prime for photographing the color of the rocks, due to more rain and less wind. The catch is that the park closes early, so to be there at sunrise/sunset, you have to get a backcountry permit. Their idea of backcountry is only one mile from the road, though, so it admits to very easy hiking and staying where-ever you would like to set up your next shot. I do not know if this option interests you, but I thought I would mention it.

Instead off heading straight for New Mexico, you might want to make the pilgrimage to AntelopeCanyon. Overphotographed, yes, but from my recent experience, still a worthwhile and fun destination.

Whatever you drive, have some sun protection for your gear--the sun beating through the glass can make tripods and cameras hot for the touch--my dashboard clock started flickering when it got above 115 F. Get a screen for the windshield, and perhaps even little blinds for the windows, to keep the car temperature down.

It can be both hot and bone-dry: dry cracking palate and nosebleeds are normal for some people in SW conditions, so if you are sensitive to that (I cerainly am) look into nasal irrigants (I like Simply Saline) and perhaps a spray bottle to add some humidity to the inside of your car.

Before you go to Zion, figure out a way to wade yourself and your equipment through a couple hundred meters of very cold 2' deep water, as you will almost certainly want to go up the Narrows, and without something to keep your feet warm, you will have to give up (as I was forced to). I don't know if waders or waresocks are the best solution--perhaps someone else has suggestions? It will likely be warmer for you than when I turned back in May, to boot. I have a watertight fanny pack designed for canoeing that allows me to transport my camera and lenses safely while hiking (so long as it is rolled tightly). I think it is from The North Face, and I recommend it.

Be conscious, but not paranoid, of the fact that rattlesnakes inhabit the entire area you are looking at, and look before you plunge your hand into any dark, cool crevasses.
-Sean [ we

raptorsys

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 09:39:01 pm »

After leaving the north rim of the GC you might wish to stop in Page AZ and visit Antelope Canyon, Lake Powell, Cottonwood Canyon Road, The Wave, etc.  That part of the world is amazing...

Brian

Jayhawk

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 03:46:26 pm »

After leaving the north rim of the GC you might wish to stop in Page AZ and visit Antelope Canyon, Lake Powell, Cottonwood Canyon Road, The Wave, etc.  That part of the world is amazing...
Brian
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73814\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was just there in June and Page is definitely worth a stop.  The Antelopes are a nice change of pace because the best time to photograph is the middle of the day.  Then you can go to Horseshoe Bend and/or Lake Powell for sunrise/sunset.  I spent a full day in Page and can't wait to get back there.

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 04:52:36 pm »

Be conscious, but not paranoid, of the fact that rattlesnakes inhabit the entire area you are looking at, and look before you plunge your hand into any dark, cool crevasses.
A good thing to be aware of , but I've spent an awful lot of time in the desert southwest from Texas through California, and I haven't seen a rattlesnake in over 20 years. I still live in Texas, and I consciously look for them out of old habit, but they seem to be awfully rare now. Perhaps they've been over-hunted (ever heard of a "rattlesnake roundup"?) since the rabbit population seems to be booming in west Texas.

If you do get bitten by one, stay calm but seek medical attention immediately - you're going to be in a hospital for a few days. While death is a very unlikely outcome from a rattlesnake bite, it's not fun and losing the limb that was bitten is possible.

If you're like most people you haven't spent much time in the wilderness. "Look" doesn't mean a quick glance. Really look before turning over any rocks or sticking anything into a shaded area during the day. Listening for the rattle isn't a bad idea, but by the time you hear it you've already got a very irritated snake very close at hand. One of the most dangerous things you can do in rattlesnake country is walk on a black asphalt road after dark. The snakes lie on it to keep warm, and you might mistake a curled up snake to be cow dung until it crawls away.

But like I said... I haven't actually seen one since about 23 to 24 years ago (if I remember correctly, but in that case it was a memorable experience).

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 04:56:42 pm »

For tripod advice there's another thread here in the forum.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up