Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Detail Tab in Lightroom: Your Settings?  (Read 13590 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Detail Tab in Lightroom: Your Settings?
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 07:52:20 am »

I'm thinking that money is short and I only spend things on what I absolutely have to.  I'll forward you my bank details since money comes and goes easy for you.
You've spent thousands on kit, but won't spend a tiny amount on learning how to get the best from it ?

You just expect other people to help you at their expense and won't pay a token amount to help support the site that provides that platform.

jrsforums

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 08:17:38 am »

No, I'd have to google to try and find them again.  What I mentioned was pretty much all that was said.  There were two opinions of how the details slider worked (one was as I described, and the other was that it was all USM below 50 and all deconvolution above 50), but they were never detailed any further.

One, of many, approaches is to turn sharpening off (amount=0).  Then, adjust for noise, if any....Low iso, well lit should have little.  Then sharpen.  At that point any noise introduced is from sharpening.  Strong use of mask will reduce effect on flat areas and allow stronger amounts.  Each image is different, so, as I'm sure you know, there are no settings that work for all.
John

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 08:33:37 am »

You've spent thousands on kit, but won't spend a tiny amount on learning how to get the best from it ?

You just expect other people to help you at their expense and won't pay a token amount to help support the site that provides that platform.

Sod off. It's a bloody forum to ask questions and advice.  If you can't handle the fact that I am careful with money, you've got issues.  No one is forcing you to provide advice or even post your whiney crap in this thread.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 12:51:08 pm »

Sod off. It's a bloody forum to ask questions and advice.  If you can't handle the fact that I am careful with money, you've got issues.  No one is forcing you to provide advice or even post your whiney crap in this thread.

There's only one (actually, make that two) people posting "whiney crap".

I am careful with money.
You are mean.
His wallet is a designated nature reserve for moths.

You've asked for advice. The advice is that the best source of good, reliable information, from an excellent teacher and first-rate professional photographer, who has studied the issues on which you seek assistance and indeed written, or been involved in writing, software to do just what you want, will cost you $12. Either you're interested in learning or you think the world owes you a living.

Jeremy

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 04:36:57 pm »

This short video on the Detail Panel gives a short and refreshing tutorial on the use of the Detail Paned in Lightroom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7oEFc-UO1Q

Well, sadly, Ed doesn't really have a clue what the sliders in the Detail panel are actually doing...so, you'll want to ignore what he says they are doing but hey, the upside is it's free!!!

Schewe

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 04:43:41 pm »

You likely won't get much from this web site with an attitude like this...

BTW, I'm the one that Adobe had design the the two sharpening presets that you seem to find useful, you are welcome BTW :~)

I was just about ready to post in this thread to help you but since you wrote this pissy post, I think you can take your own advice and SOD OFF...

Tony Jay

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 07:53:23 pm »

This short video on the Detail Panel gives a short and refreshing tutorial on the use of the Detail Paned in Lightroom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7oEFc-UO1Q
I have not checked out this video until now.
My assumption was that it was relatively accurate and sensible.
How wrong I was!
There is absolutely no useful explanation of how the sliders work, nor a useful strategy on how to employ these sliders in different sorts of images.
Frankly the informational value of this video is on the level of twaddle.

There is much better stuff on YouTube than this extremely poor video but with your current level of knowledge would you be able to tell the difference?

To the OP:
You are allowed to ask questions and seek advice.
In response to your question advice has been given.
This advice you have chosen to reject.

Given the struggle you are having with the detail sub-panel it is my guess that you are just as much at sea with many other aspects of the Lightroom application (no fault here per se - we were all once Lightroom novices).
On this site there are hundreds of hours of high class tutorial videos dealing with every aspect of workflow within Lightroom (and other applications for that matter).

ALL of these hundreds of hours of video material is available for that $12 per year.
Frankly, especially if you are on a budget, this is the best value deal you will find - Lynda.com etc notwithstanding, to kickstart your photographic and post-processing workflow.

BTW Jeff Schewe is the author (in combination with the Adobe engineers of course) of the detail sub-panel in Lightroom - the algorithms are largely based on a prior piece of software called Photokit Sharpener of which Jeff was a co-author.
Who better than Jeff to guide you through its workings?

So pull your head in and take the advice proffered.

Tony Jay
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:56:34 pm by Tony Jay »

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 10:02:20 pm »

BTW Jeff Schewe is the author (in combination with the Adobe engineers of course) of the detail sub-panel in Lightroom - the algorithms are largely based on a prior piece of software called Photokit Sharpener of which Jeff was a co-author.

Speaking of that, and to try and steer this thread back into a productive direction...   ;D

Jeff, are you able to tell more about a couple of sliders in the luminance noise-reduction subsection?  Namely: the difference between the detail slider and contrast slider.  If both would be working on edge contrast detection, then what makes the contrast slider different?

That's the main slider that still eludes me in there.  I try it on images and sometimes see differences, but I still can't quite wrap my head around what I'm seeing, what it's doing - and therefore how to best use it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:10:37 pm by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 12:40:32 am »

Well, sadly, Ed doesn't really have a clue what the sliders in the Detail panel are actually doing...so, you'll want to ignore what he says they are doing but hey, the upside is it's free!!!

Yeah, his descriptions sounds flat out wrong.

Schewe

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 12:50:52 am »

Jeff, are you able to tell more about a couple of sliders in the luminance noise-reduction subsection?  Namely: the difference between the detail slider and contrast slider.  If both would be working on edge contrast detection, then what makes the contrast slider different?

Sadly to the confusion of many (most) there are too many "detail" sliders in the "Detail" panel :~)

The detail slider in the noise reduction sub panel allows you to vary the underlaying determination of what is image detail and what is noise. The higher the detail setting (50 is default) the more image detail will be preserved, below 50 the image detail is treated more like noise and eliminated. The Contrast slider bring in a roughness to help eliminate that synthetic fake looking blurred noise reduction.

Note, this really is only useful with higher ISO settings where noise is easier to see. Tough to see at low ISO.

Also note that when working on high ISO with strong noise reduction I'll often add in some small sized grain effects to do something like the contrast slider.

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 12:51:18 am »

You likely won't get much from this web site with an attitude like this...

My attitude was fine until some fragile soul couldn't handle the fact that he can't spend other people's money for them. 

BTW, I'm the one that Adobe had design the the two sharpening presets that you seem to find useful, you are welcome BTW :~)

Awesome!  ;D

I was just about ready to post in this thread to help you but since you wrote this pissy post, I think you can take your own advice and SOD OFF...

Whatever.  You're known for your curmudgeonly disposition.  As others have said, it's a bit crazy that we can purchase software and then have ferret around all over the internet to understand the absolute basics of how a slider works.  I've watched all the adobe videos with Julieanne Kost, and while it's great to see the sliders in action used by a pro, she doesn't tell you anything regarding what they do that you can't work out by looking the words up in a dictionary and/or playing with them yourself.  The type of info that I found from a thread where you commented a few years ago was exactly the type of stuff that should be included in all basic official channels.

Just a quick comment on the "we must all pay for asking for advice on a free web forum" bollocks... If some of the perennial offended members in this thread would care to look at my early posting history, they can see that I gave a hell of a lot to this site and to stuffy old film users who had no f'ing clue about digital and how sensors worked.  Going by the attitude of the clown who got offended that he couldn't spend my money for me, I suspect he was one of those early users who would have had no clue of how digital and sensor worked, and despite the efforts of people like you, Andrew Rodney and myself and others (i'm obviously not putting myself in the same class of expertise as you and Andrew), these old clowns still refused to accept the concepts of ETTR, raw exposure, noise and a whole lot of other concepts that are widely accepted today. [/rant]

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 12:54:34 am »

I have not checked out this video until now.
My assumption was that it was relatively accurate and sensible.
How wrong I was!
There is absolutely no useful explanation of how the sliders work, nor a useful strategy on how to employ these sliders in different sorts of images.
Frankly the informational value of this video is on the level of twaddle.

There is much better stuff on YouTube than this extremely poor video but with your current level of knowledge would you be able to tell the difference?

To the OP:
You are allowed to ask questions and seek advice.
In response to your question advice has been given.
This advice you have chosen to reject.

I rejected one single piece of advice.  And I rejected it calmly and politely.  The "advisor" couldn't handle that.  Cry me a river.

I absolutely highly respect Jeff, which I would have thought was obvious as I quoted his advice in this thread.  What thread are you reading?

So pull your head in and take the advice proffered.

Pull your own head in.  And learn to read while you are at it.

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 12:56:18 am »

The Contrast slider bring in a roughness to help eliminate that synthetic fake looking blurred noise reduction.

Can you expand on that if you are willing?

graeme

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 04:41:18 am »

Sadly to the confusion of many (most) there are too many "detail" sliders in the "Detail" panel :~)

The detail slider in the noise reduction sub panel allows you to vary the underlaying determination of what is image detail and what is noise. The higher the detail setting (50 is default) the more image detail will be preserved, below 50 the image detail is treated more like noise and eliminated. The Contrast slider bring in a roughness to help eliminate that synthetic fake looking blurred noise reduction.

Note, this really is only useful with higher ISO settings where noise is easier to see. Tough to see at low ISO.

Also note that when working on high ISO with strong noise reduction I'll often add in some small sized grain effects to do something like the contrast slider.

Thanks for posting that info Jeff. They're the two sliders in the Detail panel that I've never been quite sure what I'm doing with.

Tony Jay

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 07:42:55 am »

I don't need to pull my head in - and I read just fine.
I am quite OK with leaving you to flounder around in your own confusion.
Picking fights with all and sundry is not going to get you a lot of credibility - especially when they only trying to help.

Tony Jay

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2017, 01:11:42 am »

I don't need to pull my head in - and I read just fine.
I am quite OK with leaving you to flounder around in your own confusion.

If you were truly OK you wouldn't have felt the need to leave a bitchy little comment.  I've been on this forum a lot longer than you, and don't need newbies telling me what is and isn't appropriate.  So, yes, you do need to pull your head in.

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2017, 01:44:05 am »

The Contrast slider bring in a roughness to help eliminate that synthetic fake looking blurred noise reduction.

Thanks for explaining that.  I have a bit better of an idea of that mysterious contrast slider.  And that would go far to explain why it doesn't seem to do much for some/many files - I'll have to take note of the ISO going forward.  It's also good to know that I'm not the only one that's been mystified by it - seems like there are now at least 3 of us. :)

Are you able to tell a bit more on how it 'brings in a roughness'?  Like, does it bring back stronger edge-contrast areas, or maybe brings back in longer (lengthwise) continuous edges, or...  ??  This seems to be one slider where it might greatly help to know, at least a little bit, more of what's going on under the hood.

Thanks.
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2017, 02:49:26 am »

I've been on this forum a lot longer than you, and don't need newbies telling me what is and isn't appropriate.
Just because you first registered here a long time ago doesn't mean you offer anything of value. If you even followed Lula regularly over the time you've been registered you wouldn't have needed to ask the your first question in this thread.
A quick look at your earliest posts showed you started being rude to people here at your fifth post.
Suggesting you have made any sort of significant or valuable contribution here is a fallacy.

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2017, 11:17:21 pm »

Yawn.  I thought you said you were OK.  Seems you are still upset people don't automatically accept the nonsense you spew.  Go away.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2017, 09:10:29 am »

Thanks for this reminder Jeff. As a user of Neat Image from many moons ago, it made perfect sense to me, as that piece of software had similar approach.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up