Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manually focusing the GFX  (Read 2162 times)

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Manually focusing the GFX
« on: April 27, 2017, 07:25:33 pm »

There have been people complaining about the difficulty in achieving critical focus manually with the GFX. I've written up how I do it -- and, more to the point, how not to do it -- and included some screen shots.

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/manually-focusing-the-fujifilm-gfx-50s/

I welcome comments from other GFX users. If you have other techniques that work well, please let me know.

Jim

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:34:31 pm by Jim Kasson »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Manually focusing the GFX
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 08:43:23 pm »

Thanks Jim

Nice write up.  Just curious how do you capture the screen of the EVF or LCD?  or is just a shot from the LCD?

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 09:13:37 pm »

Thanks Jim

Nice write up.  Just curious how do you capture the screen of the EVF or LCD?  or is just a shot from the LCD?

Paul Caldwell

iPhone pix of the LCD.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:57:13 pm by Jim Kasson »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 01:37:14 pm »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing! I don't see myself as a customer for the GFX, at least not for the time being, but I can try to apply your suggestions to my A7rII.

I actually have seen some benefits from peaking when using magnified LV, but I guess I can play a bit with settings to make it more usable.

Best regards
Erik

There have been people complaining about the difficulty in achieving critical focus manually with the GFX. I've written up how I do it -- and, more to the point, how not to do it -- and included some screen shots.

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/manually-focusing-the-fujifilm-gfx-50s/

I welcome comments from other GFX users. If you have other techniques that work well, please let me know.

Jim
Erik Kaffehr

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 02:30:07 am »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing! I don't see myself as a customer for the GFX, at least not for the time being, but I can try to apply your suggestions to my A7rII.

I actually have seen some benefits from peaking when using magnified LV, but I guess I can play a bit with settings to make it more usable.

Best regards
Erik

Indeed, thanks you all, after reading in other threads here and also in Jim's blog, I think I will start using focus peaking with 100% view on my A7 II. I have down some quick and dirt tests handholding it in a travel where I didn't have my tripod and it worked ok, I need to test it more... But I think it will be the best way to manual focus my camera...
Pages: [1]   Go Up