Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony a9 Review - Early Preview  (Read 10615 times)

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Re: Sony a9 Review - Early Preview
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 03:01:34 am »

Thanks for the site reference Erik - it's useful.

Hi Mark,

I completely agree with you... It is stupid to think that you need to send your camera for cleaning... It is one of the basic things any user should be allowed to do...

I'm using Aeroclipse, as Erik site recommends, to clean the sensor of my A7 II now and them... For the moment it looks ok...

Regards

David

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 07:33:15 am »

Thanks for heads-up David.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

jvanrosendaal@gmail.com

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 05:33:38 pm »

Like the other invited bloggers/journalists, Kevin was impressed. Sony is becoming a bit like Apple: everybody likes their releases. Only later do we find out what's still lacking in the real world and do we think Sony is doing well because the third iteration of a $3,000 camera might finally get it right.

I do like Sony's innovations, but I think its only real strength is sensor tech.

In the meantime, Canon has become the Microsoft of this world. Maybe not as lovable, but reliable for the long term, both in terms of gear, servicing and market orientation.

Just as Apple hasn't beaten Microsoft in the business world, it will take more than a bunch of bloggers on a freebie for Sony to take on the pro market.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 05:35:12 pm »

The best way to keep your sensor clean I have found, is to only change the lens when the sensor is cold (not yet been turned on that day) and before you start shooting if possible, this way the sensor has no heat and therefore less static attraction, which I don't know if this is true, but it is what I do. If you need to change lenses in the field, then get back into your vehicle or get somewhere sheltered to change the lens if possible, so you are out of the wind, or rain, or sea spray etc, but let the sensor go cold for as long as possible before changing the lens if you can. Run the camera's cleaning vibrate function with the body/sensor vertically upright, so any dirt or specs drop down into the lower part of the body, rather than dropping into the back of your lens. When you do swap a lens at home and after mounting the new lens, hold the newly unmounted lens upright with the mount end facing down and give it a little shake to dislodge any particles and let them drop out of it before putting the mount cap back on. Also if I do this at home, I will use my blower to help dislodge any possibly attached particles between shakes of the newly unmounted lens.

This way I find I can avoid having to clean the sensor for quite some time, but when I do, I make sure the camera has been off for at least a day beforehand for the same reasons given above.

Once you have cleaned the sensor with a sensor swab and cleaning fluid etc, hold the camera vertical in front of a light and move the body around to see the shine or reflection of the sensor, to see if you have any liquid residue still on the sensor and clean it of with a second swab if you have. I also put any used wet used swabs back in their packet until I have finished the sensor cleaning, so I can give the front element of the lens a quick clean also.

Having cleaned the sensor and lens front element, then open the lens to its widest aperture and defocus, then take a photo of a white wall, load the file into PS and scan at 100% for any bits still left on the sensor, of which there will still be a few, especially near the outer corners, but if there are only a few, then leave it at that, but if they are big, then go through the whole process again after leaving the sensor to go completely cold again, which I know is tedious, but it is what I do.

Also it is a good idea to try and keep the same lens on all day, or only swap lenses when you really have to, so try to decide what what you are going to shoot before you set off out and put the correct lens on before you go, but take your other lenses with you just in case and if you do ave to change lenses, then do it as outlined above.

If you have a zoom lens and especially if it a pump action style zoom, then to dislodge all the crap you will get into the body of the lens over time, try putting some double sided sticky tape inside your lens cap and then mount it onto the lens mount loosely, then pump the lens vigorously several times. I have even heard of photographers using their hoover's suction hose held near to the lens's rear mount as they pump the zoom lens.

Having said all this, a few years ago I went on a grand tour right up the coast of Maine, and after the first day or two, I realised I had a dead bug stuck to my sensor (aren't they called noseeums or something in the US?) and no way of cleaning it off, as we were right out in the sticks and I had forgotten to take along my cleaning kit. Hey ho...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 09:46:25 pm »

Hi,

I have been shooting since 2006, but I only needed to do wet cleaning once and that was on an MFD back.

I would use a visible dust Artic Butterfly for cleaning.

Best regards
Erik

Like the other invited bloggers/journalists, Kevin was impressed. Sony is becoming a bit like Apple: everybody likes their releases. Only later do we find out what's still lacking in the real world and do we think Sony is doing well because the third iteration of a $3,000 camera might finally get it right.

I do like Sony's innovations, but I think its only real strength is sensor tech.

In the meantime, Canon has become the Microsoft of this world. Maybe not as lovable, but reliable for the long term, both in terms of gear, servicing and market orientation.

Just as Apple hasn't beaten Microsoft in the business world, it will take more than a bunch of bloggers on a freebie for Sony to take on the pro market.
Erik Kaffehr

Farmer

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 01:20:41 am »

I love it when someone registers for their first post with a random gmail account to defend their chosen marque and provides nothing more than an opinion :-)
Phil Brown

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 02:17:38 am »

The best way to keep your sensor clean I have found, is to only change the lens when the sensor is cold (not yet been turned on that day) and before you start shooting if possible, this way the sensor has no heat and therefore less static attraction, which I don't know if this is true, but it is what I do. If you need to change lenses in the field, then get back into your vehicle or get somewhere sheltered to change the lens if possible, so you are out of the wind, or rain, or sea spray etc, but let the sensor go cold for as long as possible before changing the lens if you can. Run the camera's cleaning vibrate function with the body/sensor vertically upright, so any dirt or specs drop down into the lower part of the body, rather than dropping into the back of your lens. When you do swap a lens at home and after mounting the new lens, hold the newly unmounted lens upright with the mount end facing down and give it a little shake to dislodge any particles and let them drop out of it before putting the mount cap back on. Also if I do this at home, I will use my blower to help dislodge any possibly attached particles between shakes of the newly unmounted lens.

This way I find I can avoid having to clean the sensor for quite some time, but when I do, I make sure the camera has been off for at least a day beforehand for the same reasons given above.

Once you have cleaned the sensor with a sensor swab and cleaning fluid etc, hold the camera vertical in front of a light and move the body around to see the shine or reflection of the sensor, to see if you have any liquid residue still on the sensor and clean it of with a second swab if you have. I also put any used wet used swabs back in their packet until I have finished the sensor cleaning, so I can give the front element of the lens a quick clean also.

Having cleaned the sensor and lens front element, then open the lens to its widest aperture and defocus, then take a photo of a white wall, load the file into PS and scan at 100% for any bits still left on the sensor, of which there will still be a few, especially near the outer corners, but if there are only a few, then leave it at that, but if they are big, then go through the whole process again after leaving the sensor to go completely cold again, which I know is tedious, but it is what I do.

Also it is a good idea to try and keep the same lens on all day, or only swap lenses when you really have to, so try to decide what what you are going to shoot before you set off out and put the correct lens on before you go, but take your other lenses with you just in case and if you do ave to change lenses, then do it as outlined above.

If you have a zoom lens and especially if it a pump action style zoom, then to dislodge all the crap you will get into the body of the lens over time, try putting some double sided sticky tape inside your lens cap and then mount it onto the lens mount loosely, then pump the lens vigorously several times. I have even heard of photographers using their hoover's suction hose held near to the lens's rear mount as they pump the zoom lens.

Having said all this, a few years ago I went on a grand tour right up the coast of Maine, and after the first day or two, I realised I had a dead bug stuck to my sensor (aren't they called noseeums or something in the US?) and no way of cleaning it off, as we were right out in the sticks and I had forgotten to take along my cleaning kit. Hey ho...

Hi Dave,

Well, I have to confess that I'm a bit more careless... I change the lens when I'm in the field a lot... Also, for the moment (I have the A7 II for nearly one year) I see more or less the same level of dust spots than with my Canon 5D Mark II.

Maybe now that I got my first native lens and the sensor is not always more protected with my metabones adapter I will see more.

Regards,

David

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 04:07:30 am »

Getting it right since starting a new camera system in 2013 is not bad... Canon had since 1987 to mature the EOS system, namely the EOS 1 series.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 05:56:38 am »

Hi,

Personally, I am a frequent lens changer and I don't feel I used to have to many problems.

When on travel, I usually check the sensor for dust each day.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Dave,

Well, I have to confess that I'm a bit more careless... I change the lens when I'm in the field a lot... Also, for the moment (I have the A7 II for nearly one year) I see more or less the same level of dust spots than with my Canon 5D Mark II.

Maybe now that I got my first native lens and the sensor is not always more protected with my metabones adapter I will see more.

Regards,

David
Erik Kaffehr

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 06:09:53 am »

Hi,

Personally, I am a frequent lens changer and I don't feel I used to have to many problems.

When on travel, I usually check the sensor for dust each day.

Best regards
Erik

I personally do not check it... but once a day or every two days, I try to use a blower over the sensor to avoid dust getting accomulated there...

Every four or five months I tend to do the wet cleanning to remove some stuck dust spots... if I feel it is necessary... I learned long time ago, even before the Sony, to stop worrying for some dust spots... specially for photography... for video it is another story...

jvanrosendaal@gmail.com

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2017, 09:32:54 am »

I love it when someone registers for their first post with a random gmail account to defend their chosen marque and provides nothing more than an opinion :-)

I'm not new here. Something's is messed up between the registration for this site and the forums.

And I don't have a chosen brand either. I shoot Canon, Olympus, Fuji and Sony and see pros and cons to all.

And, finally, you think my gmail account sounds random? Really now?

I love it when someone jumps to conclusions based on assumptions that are all wrong...

jvanrosendaal@gmail.com

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 09:35:30 am »

Getting it right since starting a new camera system in 2013 is not bad... Canon had since 1987 to mature the EOS system, namely the EOS 1 series.

Sony bought Minolta and initially used that company's strength in producing intuitive cameras. Somehow, it dropped that ball in their mirrorless line. Like Canon, they had/have the know how in the house.

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2017, 09:59:02 am »

Sony bought Minolta and initially used that company's strength in producing intuitive cameras. Somehow, it dropped that ball in their mirrorless line. Like Canon, they had/have the know how in the house.

I don't see the big success they are having with the A7 series as "dropping the ball". I changed from EOS to A7 two years ago, and the system is very nice. Saves me a lot of size and weight, while allowing me to shoot some of the best lenses available today, or from the past even.

They now have a general purpose camera (A7II), a specialized high res camera (A7RII), a specialized low light camera (A7SII), and the new A9 (specialized action camera).

jvanrosendaal@gmail.com

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2017, 12:06:30 pm »

I don't see the big success they are having with the A7 series as "dropping the ball". I changed from EOS to A7 two years ago, and the system is very nice. Saves me a lot of size and weight, while allowing me to shoot some of the best lenses available today, or from the past even.

They now have a general purpose camera (A7II), a specialized high res camera (A7RII), a specialized low light camera (A7SII), and the new A9 (specialized action camera).

I didn't say they dropped 'the' ball. I said they dropped 'that' ball, referring to the camera interface and usability compared to what Minolta offered.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2017, 12:42:17 pm »

If you are having problems logging on please use the Green help button on our main pages and let us know what is going on.  We'll be happy to get both accounts connected if there is a problem.  Hope that helps.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Farmer

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2017, 09:57:49 pm »

I'm not new here. Something's is messed up between the registration for this site and the forums.

And I don't have a chosen brand either. I shoot Canon, Olympus, Fuji and Sony and see pros and cons to all.

And, finally, you think my gmail account sounds random? Really now?

I love it when someone jumps to conclusions based on assumptions that are all wrong...

Sorry you're having problems.  It wasn't really an assumption, since it said your post count was "1" and you didn't say "Hi, I'm <insert whoever you are> I'm just having account problems" or at least signed off with your usual user details.  Anyway, sorry for confusing you - your comment, though, sounded awfully fan-boi and baseless (still does, to be honest).
Phil Brown

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2017, 04:23:36 am »

I didn't say they dropped 'the' ball. I said they dropped 'that' ball, referring to the camera interface and usability compared to what Minolta offered.

2 or 3 years ago, I agree. Today, the interface and usability is, IMO, pretty much on par with more mature systems.

jvanrosendaal@gmail.com

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2017, 10:52:34 pm »

Sorry you're having problems.  It wasn't really an assumption, since it said your post count was "1" and you didn't say "Hi, I'm <insert whoever you are> I'm just having account problems" or at least signed off with your usual user details.  Anyway, sorry for confusing you - your comment, though, sounded awfully fan-boi and baseless (still does, to be honest).

Not a fan boy, though. And didn't notice my profile was messed up until later. I'll fix it.

jvanrosendaal@gmail.com

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2017, 10:54:23 pm »

2 or 3 years ago, I agree. Today, the interface and usability is, IMO, pretty much on par with more mature systems.

I politely disagree, but realize people have different preferences for camera interfaces.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up