Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7900 network oddness - help!  (Read 2694 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
7900 network oddness - help!
« on: April 27, 2017, 10:05:07 am »

I would occasionally have issues with the computer not talking to the 7900 that were solved by reinstalling the printer driver. Then I discovered that telling the router to always assign the same IP to the printer made things more stable. Now I have the same issue but am at a loss.

1) Router and printer properties show the same IP address for the printer.
2) Computer is talking to the printer to some degree I assume as it shows the ink status.
3) When I click Print (in LR) the printer dialog comes up and shows ink status and the printing animation. But no print
4) And here's the oddest part. The print job disappears - it is not left sitting in the queue, it's just gone.

Needless to say I have rebooted computer and printer. Thanks muchly for any ideas.

Farmer

Re: 7900 network oddness - help!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 08:06:01 pm »

Windows or OS X?

Most common cause of this that I see on Windows is a spooling issue.  There can be several causes from a lack of space to a slow HDD (less common now) to anti-virus software hammering that folder because it keeps seeing activity and isn't sure what it is.

If you're on Windows, check the drive that hosts the print spool directory and make sure it has plenty of space.  You can also check which tasks are accessing that drive to see if your AV is the culprit.
Phil Brown

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 12:25:20 am »

The best way to avoid network problems is to not use a network. After many problems I just use a 5m powered USB cable.
If you must use a network then set the IP address in the printer permanently.
Don't use a wifi network, only Ethernet.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 04:26:59 am »

This isn't a network issue, because he can see ink levels, which means the computer is communicating with the printer just fine.
Phil Brown

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 07:05:59 pm »

This isn't a network issue, because he can see ink levels, which means the computer is communicating with the printer just fine.
That means very little. There may be all sorts of protocol issues and you have no idea what is happening. Bypass the network and see if the problem is still there.
If the print job is going out and not arriving then I guess that is why the call it the "ether".

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 07:46:22 pm »

It means a huge amount.  It means it's talking just fine over the network.  The issue will likely be related to spooling - I've seen it many, many, times.  There aren't "all sorts of protocol issues".  It's IP V4 - and that's clearly working because of the ink levels being shown.  Sure, run a USB by all means, but there is really no magic happening with a network connection - it's very simple so long as you use fixed IP addresses within the same subnet with the same subnet mask, and it removes the need to print only from one computer and to have it physically connected (limiting distance at times).

The vast, vast majority of pro level printers are connected by network and not USB.
Phil Brown

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 09:10:43 pm »

There aren't "all sorts of protocol issues".
LMFAO, having spent a week in computer room wearing an arctic jacket with a protocol analyser to find out that the computer was just occasionally sending consecutive packet numbers I would disagree that just because two things can see each other that they will always talk perfectly.

You may be right, especially if you use a windows box, but having experienced my 3880 on a network I found USB much more reliable.

BTW, he is not using fixed IP addresses. Fixed means they are fixed in the end devices, not the router.

Doug Gray

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 10:55:11 pm »

LMFAO, having spent a week in computer room wearing an arctic jacket with a protocol analyser to find out that the computer was just occasionally sending consecutive packet numbers I would disagree that just because two things can see each other that they will always talk perfectly.

You may be right, especially if you use a windows box, but having experienced my 3880 on a network I found USB much more reliable.

BTW, he is not using fixed IP addresses. Fixed means they are fixed in the end devices, not the router.

Perhaps there is an issue with the firewall settings. I use Ethernet on the 9800 and it uses port 515 (printer) and the Line Printer Daemon protocol. (now, if only I could find a decoder for the Epson 9800 data stream to understand how the drivers control it)

If the OP wants to go down the rabbit hole he can grab the network analyzer wireshark at wireshark.org.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 01:50:20 am »

I am not saying that it is the network. However it is so easy to eliminate it by bypassing it with a USB cable. Problem gone is network. Problem not gone is computer.

Farmer

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 03:30:52 am »

It is effectively a fixed IP address.  It means that the port set in the driver is set to a single IP address that doesn't need to change because the router sets the same address all the time - it avoids having the device lost or orphaned.  That is obviously working, otherwise he wouldn't be getting ink levels.

The kind of network that requires you to be in a controlled environment is one or two orders of magnitude more complex than the setup that Peter will have.  I'm not sure why you spent the entire time in that room to need to wear the jacket when such analysers would log events for you to monitor remotely, but anyway.

If you had ongoing network issues with your 3880, you are among an elite of some fraction of 1% and it's all the more surprising if you have the skills to be sitting in computer rooms freezing.

There's really no need for deep diving on a network issue here.  Check the spooling.  It's not 100% definitely the fault, of course, but it's far and away the most likely and the best place to start.
Phil Brown

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 08:49:29 am »

I am not saying that it is the network. However it is so easy to eliminate it by bypassing it with a USB cable. Problem gone is network. Problem not gone is computer.
Just saying it again because it always works.
Hopefully the op has gone away with the solution.
BTW, there was a time when there was no remote test access.

Farmer

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 10:50:07 pm »

BTW, there was a time when there was no remote test access.

Yes, but such an experience would have little to nothing to do with a modern network experience in a very small, local network.
Phil Brown

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 01:48:30 am »

Ethernet has been standardised for over 30 years. But you are right, I probably have forgotten more about networks than you will ever know.

Farmer

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 02:26:19 am »

Ethernet has been standardised for over 30 years. But you are right, I probably have forgotten more about networks than you will ever know.

Whilst I doubt that's true, it's more about what we both currently remember than what you've forgotten, isn't it?  (Yes, I know you weren't being literal, just haughty).

To date, from implementation of (and including) IEEE 802.3 in 1983 there have been 51 amendments accepted - the most recent late last year and 3 future ones already proposed.  This excludes the experimental Ethernet in 1973 and DIX v2.0 in 1982.  So standardised, absolutely, but hardly static.  And, more importantly, use of that and implementations in operating systems and drivers and devices and hardware have all changed and matured.

There's really no reason to usher people away from using their printers over a network.  There are more advantages than disadvantages and the fault description, along with the known background that the printer is in communication with the driver and related software (ink levels), suggests a problem elsewhere.  One that's common, and quite easy to fix most of the time with a little guidance.

Yes, testing with a USB is a good idea and well worth doing and if that had been the sum of your advice I would have agreed whole heartedly.  But suggesting that networks are something to be avoided in this case ("if you must use...") is just nonsense, sorry.  I'm glad USB meets your requirements, of course, and for others that will also be true.  But there's no need to avoid either method and certainly no need to point to networks as being particularly difficult things in a typical setup that photogs would be using in small business or at home.
Phil Brown

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 03:54:53 am »

I love this shit.
I run all of my printers are on a network except one. The difference with that one is that instead of a 5 sec job going to a laser to print on a 0.2 cent piece of paper, I have a 2m long piece of textured matte paper and ink that costs a bomb and takes about 20 minutes. Anyway, the op will make up their own mind.

The only practical thing to come from all this is "Yes, testing with a USB is a good idea and well worth doing". End of story.

Farmer

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 05:40:03 am »

Sure, Bob.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up